Houston
Sponsored by

Pearl Beer

3,331 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by Sea Speed
Drparker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anybody know where I can find some pearl beer? They use to have it specs in baytown but they stopped carrying it
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I will drink a whole bunch of Millers, wait 30 minutes and then you can drink some Pearl right from the tap.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

I will drink a whole bunch of Millers, wait 30 minutes and then you can drink some Pearl right from the tap.

Same as your username.
94chem
A 4.2 swill debate. This is why I Texags.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Beer snobs.
cajunaggie08
AG
I wonder if there is any difference between Pearl, PBR, and Lone Star. All 3 of them are owned by Pabst and contracted to be brewed at Miller's Fort Worth Brewery.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Pearl beer is no more
AustinCountyAg
For a while you could still find the original Pearl at HEB's, but I haven't seen any in years.

What makes me the most sad is no Pearl Light. I LOVED that stuff. Haven't seen it in years unfortunately. That stuff was the nectar of the gods.

ETA: I've seen this in stores before. Doesn't taste the same as original Pearl however.
https://pearlbeer.com/
maroon barchetta

Big Cat `93
AG
Used to be a sign like that on I-10 at College in Beaumont.

Long live the Aggie martini.
El Gallo Blanco
AustinCountyAg said:

For a while you could still find the original Pearl at HEB's, but I haven't seen any in years.

What makes me the most sad is no Pearl Light. I LOVED that stuff. Haven't seen it in years unfortunately. That stuff was the nectar of the gods.

ETA: I've seen this in stores before. Doesn't taste the same as original Pearl however.
https://pearlbeer.com/
Was great "floating the river" beer.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I was at a taco stand in Austin last night near the Moody Center. They had Pearl on the beer list but I went for an Ale instead.
BSME83
AG
A little trivia about that picture: those white clouds in the background are from the ammonia truck that crashed and exploded at 610 and 59 in 1977.
Psycho Bunny
Born and raised in Texas and never heard of Pearl Beer. Must not have been good enough to stand out like other Texas beers.
Americans new motto
Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate
84AGEC
AG
I like hotel Emma
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Psycho Bunny said:

Born and raised in Texas and never heard of Pearl Beer. Must not have been good enough to stand out like other Texas beers.

It was huge/very popular up until the 80's are so

They use to sell $.25 pearls at the chicken when I was in college
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Had a bit of a retro-cool comeback in the 90's or early 2000's, I think. Not sure when it disappeared completely.

I do find it hard to believe that someone from Texas never heard of it. It was probably bigger in Central Texas, but as the photo above demonstrates, it was around here just like most other cheap domestics. Plus there were those Texas Country songs in the 90's that liked to rattle of the names of Texas towns and beer labels; that probably kept the brand name in my mind.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
I went to the pearl brewery a few weeks ago, looked everywhere for one, finally asked the bartender where the hell I could buy one. He said a PE bought it a few years ago, attempted to re-release it but changed the recipe and messed it up. Finally just closed the plant.
TXAG 05
AG
Psycho Bunny said:

Out of curiosity, how old are you. Like the other poster said, I find it very hard for someone who lives here to have not heard of it, unless you are really young.
Diggity
AG
He drank Pearl in a can and Jack Daniel's Black
maroon barchetta
BSME83 said:

A little trivia about that picture: those white clouds in the background are from the ammonia truck that crashed and exploded at 610 and 59 in 1977.

Psycho Bunny
Born mid 80's.
Americans new motto
Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate
aggiedent
AG
Psycho Bunny said:

What's that mean? Pretty much every Texas owned & brewed beer that existed prior to 1980, with very few exceptions, is out of business.

Grand Prize by the Gulf Brewery which use to win medals all over the world. Southern Select by Galveston-Houston Brewing. Time, Bluebonnet, Travis, Mitchell's, etc are all beers that are gone.

Pearl and Lonestar out of business but the rights bought up by Pabst and contracted to Miller to brew.

All because of the growth of the Big 4, most regional beers across the country died. Then Schlitz committed corporate suicide and it became the Big 3.

Then came Craft brewing and the pendulum is swinging the other way.

MAROON
AG
My grandfather worked for Lone Star for 45 years. My Mom's second cousin worked for Pearl for the same amount of time. We would take family camping trips to Lake Corpus Christi and one side of the campground was Lone Star and the other Pearl, and both sides talking **** about how bad the other side's beer was.

Redneck Heaven it was.

I was weaned on Lone Star
TheRatt87
My memory isn't as good as it used to be, but I think it was "Brewed with pure spring water, from the country of eleven hundred springs".

Also, I know this is the Houston board, but I think Pearl was the original waterfall billboard on the right side of I-35 going north out of downtown Dallas.
rednecked
AG
I have two lasting memories of Pearl.

1. As a kid we used to walk the mediums and roadsides collecting beer cans to sell at the recycler. I can't see the Pearl logo without remembering the smell of old hot beer. I recall thinking it really stank but also somehow smelled good too...

2. 1983 as a Junior in Bryan High School my best friend and I managed to get tickets to see Triumph at George R Brown Convention center in Houston (as Randall "Pink" Floyd would say, Top priority of the summer!). We conned my mother into letting me borrow her car and rent a motel in Houston for the weekend. We went to the concert and when we walked in, already pretty drunk, I saw the Pearl beer stand. With all the boldness I could muster I walked up and ordered 2. No hesitation on the dudes part. he handed me 2-32 oz beers! I remember very little about the rest of the night.
Hey Doc, my psoas is sore
I have fond memories of Pearl Beer, mom didn't like children so she found random people to take of me and my two brothers, back in the 60's "Aunt Ethel" would pop her first Pearl and light a cigarette as the poured out the Lucky Charms and would sit down with her shirt unbuttoned and her tits swangin.
maroon barchetta
Sam Houston Coliseum?

The GRB wasn't there yet.
FHKChE07
AG
You are correct.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas_Waterfall_Billboard
rednecked
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Sam Houston Coliseum?

The GRB wasn't there yet.
Maybe. It was a long time ago and I was a drunk teenager!
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Was Pink Floyd even touring in 1983? There may be more than one detail off in that memory. Which, I suppose, is understandable.
MAROON
AG
Jugstore Cowboy said:

Was Pink Floyd even touring in 1983? There may be more than one detail off in that memory. Which, I suppose, is understandable.
He saw Triumph, not Pink Floyd.

And he saw them at Sam Houston Coliseum
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Ah, my eyes got hung up on the Pink Floyd part of the post (probably since I'm automatically interested in Pink Floyd tour history).
ChipFTAC01
AG
Jugstore Cowboy said:

Ah, my eyes got hung up on the Pink Floyd part of the post (probably since I'm automatically interested in Pink Floyd tour history).

Reference to a character from Dazed & Confused
fishag04
AG
MAROON said:

My grandfather worked for Lone Star for 45 years. My Mom's second cousin worked for Pearl for the same amount of time. We would take family camping trips to Lake Corpus Christi and one side of the campground was Lone Star and the other Pearl, and both sides talking **** about how bad the other side's beer was.

Redneck Heaven it was.

I was weaned on Lone Star

Lake Mathis!

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.