Houston
Sponsored by

Bicyclists in a lane

4,233 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by rangerdanger
Sazerac
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Will cops ticket a group of bicyclists riding in the right lane - completely F'ng traffic - when there is a bike lane for their use?

Drives me completely nuts!!
bhah
You should contact Agproducer on this matter.
chico
AG
Legal and safe. The side view mirror can wipe out a cyclist in the bike lane. A group of cyclists is much safer in a pack taking up the entire lane
Sazerac
AG
How is it legal to take up a lane going 15 mph in a 35 mph zone??

If bike lanes aren't safe get rid of them.

TriAg2010
AG
cclearman said:

How is it legal to take up a lane going 15 mph in a 35 mph zone??

For the same reason it's legal for other slow moving vehicles to use the road.

Chill out. It's a Saturday.
Satellite of Love
Bikes have a right to the road. Share it asshat.
Ag_07
AG
Satellite of Love said:

That's fine. I got no problem sharing the road. But if you want to ride in traffic like a car then you should be ok with being treated like a car. You can't gripe about sharing the road but also gripe about people being a-holes.

If a car goes that slow I'm driving by honking and would have no problem with them getting a ticket. It's unsafe for a car to be going that slow and it's just as unsafe for a biker to be going to that slow.
TriAg2010
AG
Ag_07 said:

Satellite of Love said:

That's fine. I got no problem sharing the road. But if you want to ride in traffic like a car then you should be ok with being treated like a car. You can't gripe about sharing the road but also gripe about people being a-holes.

If a car goes that slow I'm driving by honking and would have no problem with them getting a ticket. It's unsafe for a car to be going that slow and it's just as unsafe for a biker to be going to that slow.

Sounds like you do have a problem.

When a car, cyclist, tractor, or horse is moving slowly, just pass them at the first safe opportunity. You know, like a human being.

They're not getting ticketed because they are legally allowed to use the roadway unless a sign says otherwise.
Sazerac
AG
What about a pack of jogging stroller moms doing the same? Neither bikes nor strollers are "street legal".

If a tractor is driving 15 MPH down memorial every Saturday morning I'd say the same thing. But at least with that there is probably a good reason. It's not just some lance Armstrong wannabes who think their hobby is the priority of the day and can't be bothered to DRIVE OUTSIDE THE CITY WHERE THEY CAN RIDE SAFELY with lowest impact on cars.
terradactylexpress
TriAg2010 said:

Ag_07 said:

Satellite of Love said:

Sounds like you do have a problem.

When a car, cyclist, tractor, or horse is moving slowly, just pass them at the first safe opportunity. You know, like a human being.

They're not getting ticketed because they are legally allowed to use the roadway unless a sign says otherwise.

Ag_07 has a lot of problems
TriAg2010
AG
cclearman said:

What about a pack of jogging stroller moms doing the same? Neither bikes nor strollers are "street legal".

Bicycles ARE street legal unless otherwise indicated. Ask TexDOT.

http://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/modes-of-travel/bicycle/faq.html

What traffic laws apply to cyclists? What traffic laws do not?

Generally, bikes are entitled to all rights and obligated to all duties of the road that apply to a motor vehicle. Tex. Transp. Code 551.101, see also Tex. Transp. Code, Title 7, Subtitle C. Rules of the Road, Chapters 541 - 600.

If there is a bike path adjacent to the roadway, does a cyclist have to use it or can they use the roadway?

No, provided the bicyclist adheres to all the discussed rules of the road and bike laws, bikes are entitled to all rights of the road that apply to a motor vehicle, including access.

When is it allowable for a cyclist to "take the lane," and when is it not?

Persons operating bicycles on a roadway may ride two abreast. Persons riding two abreast on a laned roadway shall ride in a single lane. Persons riding two abreast may not impede the normal and reasonable flow of traffic on the roadway. Also note, you can't make passage of traffic "unreasonably inconvenient." Tex. Penal Code 42.03.

If there is a bike lane does a cyclist have to use it or can they use the general travel lane?

See the previous answer. Because a bike is required to stay to as far right as practicable, this could be interpreted to mean if there is bike lane, a cyclist would be required to ride in it, as it would be the far right side of the road. However, if one of the exceptions listed in the previous answer exist, they would be excused from the 'far right' requirement.

Quote:

If a tractor is driving 15 MPH down memorial every Saturday morning I'd say the same thing. But at least with that there is probably a good reason. It's not just some lance Armstrong wannabes who think their hobby is the priority of the day and can't be bothered to DRIVE OUTSIDE THE CITY WHERE THEY CAN RIDE SAFELY with lowest impact on cars.

And what makes your time more valuable than anyone else? If you want to drive anywhere anytime without traffic, then maybe you're the one who should live outside the city.
TriAg2010
AG
DP
TriAg2010
AG
DP
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
No issue with cyclists on the road other than they can be an annoyance. They are legal to be on a street. But the gripe I always have with them is when they do not observe traffic signals. How many times do we see a cyclist go right through a stop sign or red light?
Spore Ag
Agree with above that the arrogance of a few ruins it for the rest.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

No issue with cyclists on the road other than they can be an annoyance. They are legal to be on a street. But the gripe I always have with them is when they do not observe traffic signals. How many times do we see a cyclist go right through a stop sign or red light?

When I get to a four way stop ahead of a bike, and instead of stopping he blows through it, forcing me to go slow as crap until I can pass him, after I stop and turn right. So help my God I will make him eat pavement.
Hulla Baller
AG
I think it's hilarious how bikers get all mad at cars but yet they don't stop at stop signs like they are supposed to according to the law. They are hypocrits in my mind.
CDUB98
AG
Ooh, look at me! I'm important!
Ags #1
Ags #1
Ags #1
swimmerbabe11
TriAg owned this thread and Ags#1 had to try 3x to successfully thumbs down...but not sure what the thumbs down was for.
Ags #1
Ags #1
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
Hulla Baller said:

I think it's hilarious how bikers get all mad at cars but yet they don't stop at stop signs like they are supposed to according to the law. They are hippocrits in my mind.

"hippocrits"... good God.
drumboy
AG
Can we gripe about cyclists riding on sidewalks and almost running Snowflake over here?

What about not announcing their presence? I got yelled at by some B for not saying ONYERRLEFT on the bike trail the other day. I thought my loud ass tires were sufficient.
Hulla Baller
AG
You must be a biker. I fixed it for you. Do you feel better now?
HtownAg92
AG
Also have an issue with cyclists splitting the lane and then waiting at the front of the line at a light, in the pedestrian walkway that was left clear by law-abiding drivers. That 10-15 second start time in the tights usually is enough to allow only a couple of cars through before the light changes back. Thanks.
BrazosDog02
AG
BrazosDog02
AG
cclearman said:

For the love of god, please don't send these inconsiderate asshat elsewhere. Already got t deal with them and have come really close to some "snag n drag" action with my f250. They don't understand that people outside of the city have no time or tolerance for their antics.
HDeathstar
Wait till the City of Houston approves the Bike Plan (without funding) and then rolls the program out under the street improvement plan that has been funded.

A little bait and switch. 7ft wide lanes in both directions paid for by your road improvement funds. Fewer streets will be redone due to the bike lanes.
Frederick Palowaski
AG
Satellite of Love said:

Not necessarily. F***ers on Memorial can suck a d*** riding during rush hour

03_Aggie
Quote:

Bicycles ARE street legal unless otherwise indicated. Ask TexDOT.

http://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/modes-of-travel/bicycle/faq.html

What traffic laws apply to cyclists? What traffic laws do not?

Generally, bikes are entitled to all rights and obligated to all duties of the road that apply to a motor vehicle. Tex. Transp. Code 551.101, see also Tex. Transp. Code, Title 7, Subtitle C. Rules of the Road, Chapters 541 - 600.

If there is a bike path adjacent to the roadway, does a cyclist have to use it or can they use the roadway?

No, provided the bicyclist adheres to all the discussed rules of the road and bike laws, bikes are entitled to all rights of the road that apply to a motor vehicle, including access.

When is it allowable for a cyclist to "take the lane," and when is it not?

Persons operating bicycles on a roadway may ride two abreast. Persons riding two abreast on a laned roadway shall ride in a single lane. Persons riding two abreast may not impede the normal and reasonable flow of traffic on the roadway. Also note, you can't make passage of traffic "unreasonably inconvenient." Tex. Penal Code 42.03.

If there is a bike lane does a cyclist have to use it or can they use the general travel lane?

See the previous answer. Because a bike is required to stay to as far right as practicable, this could be interpreted to mean if there is bike lane, a cyclist would be required to ride in it, as it would be the far right side of the road.However, if one of the exceptions listed in the previous answer exist, they would be excused from the 'far right' requirement.

Selective bolding is fun. To answer your question OP, yes they can if they are not two abreast and if they are impeding the normal and reasonable flow of traffic or are making the passage of traffic unreasonably inconvenient.

rangerdanger
AG
Hulla Baller said:

I think it's hilarious how bikers get all mad at cars but yet they don't stop at stop signs like they are supposed to according to the law. They are hypocrits in my mind.

Yup. Saw this dude on a bike a couple months ago fly down a crossing lane from a sidewalk when the red hand was up. Light was green in my lane and the driver in front of me was turning right as our Lance Armstrong wannabe was giving 0 f's about the law. Lance had this "oh ****" look on his face as he slammed his hand brake while the driver in front of me hit the gas. The bike stopped with so much momentum that it flipped up from the front tire and he ate a generous portion pavement right at the crossing. Luckly the guy in front of me stopped while Lance picked himself up and towed his bike back to the corner, his pride being the only thing hurt.

Most of these people "follow" the rules they like and are a danger to themeselves and others around them.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.