Houston
Sponsored by

Bob Allen loses his battle with cancer

18,357 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by MAS444
Pahdz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I haven't lived in houston in 12 years but my mom still lives there and she's up visiting now, and we were sharing stories about old anchors. Bob never aged from my childhood in the mid 80s to now it seemed. My mom said her and my dad met Bob and Jan Glenn at Gilley's back in the day. Very cool to read these stories about the people I watched every night growing up (but not cool when they die)
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
wow. shocked.

this guy was the epitome of class on TV. T&P to his family.
Duck Blind
AG
RIP to one of the truly great ones and a legend in Houston sports.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Jim Nantz just brought up the passing on the broadcast of the patriots steelers game.
The Wonderer
AG
Bob's funeral was today. This pic ought to bring back some 90s memories.

Marvin_Zindler
AG
Dave and Shara are still looking great. Gotta think Kay's would have been the after party for the funeral if it wasn't a dirt lot now.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
UH alum. Jim Nantz was always a real one.
88jrt06
AG
hodgesco said:

Dave and Shara are still looking great. Gotta think Kay's would have been the after party for the funeral if it wasn't a dirt lot now.
Ed Brandon is either on the list for a heart transplant....or maybe got one, not sure.
Shara still has a face for TV, not radio. Not bad!

Kay's died (demo) within a month of Bob....although I didn't see him there as often as...others.
Still...an era ends.

Did see Deborah Wrigley reporting last night. (Posted w/o comment....)
OlArmyWalton92
AG
Quote:

Shara still has a face for TV, not radio. Not bad!
Completely agree. Even though she's a t-sip she has many good things to say about A&M. Her brother is an Aggie. She's such a classy, southern lady.
The Wonderer
AG
I didn't know he had a coke problem. He sure hasn't aged as well as the others.
88jrt06
AG
The Wonderer said:

He damn near had an alleged pedo problem, based on my recollection!
(Probably related to his coke-binge days, dealers, etc...).

Definitely lucky to be here.
FNG
The Wonderer said:

Ed Brandon vanished from Channel 13 for some time during the 90's. Stevens and Pruitt had a promotion they had to do with a new sponsor, Tyson Chicken.

They had a call-in contest called "Whatever happened to Ed Brandon - for chicken". It was pretty funny. People offered all sorts of ideas.

It later came out that Ed had a $1,000 per day coke habit (his words). He did an interview about it with Dave Barron or Ken Hoffman or someone. He was hiding in the custodial closet at KTRK and getting zooted up before hitting the air.

He later was diagnosed with congenital heart failure (might not be the correct medical term, going from memory here). He was getting a lot of mail from viewers asking if he was ok because his sentences would all trail off and he would be unable to keep projecting volume and breath when talking.

There was a rumor of pedo activity but I don't recall the outcome of any of those discussions.
Ciboag96
FNG said:

The Wonderer said:

Ed Brandon vanished from Channel 13 for some time during the 90's. Stevens and Pruitt had a promotion they had to do with a new sponsor, Tyson Chicken.

They had a call-in contest called "Whatever happened to Ed Brandon - for chicken". It was pretty funny. People offered all sorts of ideas.

It later came out that Ed had a $1,000 per day coke habit (his words). He did an interview about it with Dave Barron or Ken Hoffman or someone. He was hiding in the custodial closet at KTRK and getting zooted up before hitting the air.

He later was diagnosed with congenital heart failure (might not be the correct medical term, going from memory here). He was getting a lot of mail from viewers asking if he was ok because his sentences would all trail off and he would be unable to keep projecting volume and breath when talking.

There was a rumor of pedo activity but I don't recall the outcome of any of those discussions.

I ****ing love my city
Jett01
AG
I've been following this thread and have refrained from posting because I'm semi-close to the situation, but after talking to my husband tonight, I felt obliged to give my perspective of the recent services.

I was honored and privileged to be able to attend Bob's services. My husband was one of his right hand men for many years, so I was lucky to meet Bob about 5 years ago when he was still healthy and full of life. I joked and thanked my husband last night for allowing me the opportunity to the able to be part of this amazing media family. Growing up, I could never have imagined being at the funeral services of a Houston (and greater than that) legend.....

Throughout the last 5 years, I'd heard the stories of Bob and even been part of them. He came to our wedding and had a great time. A small town girl from Port Lavaca would've never imagined a Houston legend would be on the guest list. Not only was he on the list, but he also gave attention and hugs to my admiring mom as well as countless cousins who were in awe that they were in his presence. But, through the whole reception, he had fun and graciously took pictures with anyone who asked.

If you read the story and watch the video on the ABC13 website, you'll get a taste of the great eulogy given by Tim Melton. There were many great stories told by his friend Robert Poland and Bob's brother, Ken, but Tim Melton brought the house down with both funny and touching Bob stories. It was a great celebration, with both laughing and crying, as we remembered a person not only with a wonderful sense of humor, but also a heart of gold who wanted to help those who needed his encouragement the most. The underlying message of the entire service was that Bob was much more than a media figure. He was a dad, grandfather, friend and most of all supporter of the Sunshine Kid and the Special Olympics.

In the short time I knew Bob, he treated me the same way he treated me as if he'd known me the entire 15+ years he'd known my husband. We're not only losing a TV sports legend, but a great person, who can never be replaced.
Liquid Wrench
There was a certain "niceness," for lack of a better word, that came through in his broadcasts.
The Wonderer
AG
ChiliBeans said:

There was a certain "niceness," for lack of a better word, that came through in his broadcasts.

He is what I would say "genuine". While a media personality, his personality came through whether he was interviewing a player from the Astros or from a little league team. Regardless of the level, he treated them all the same. He loved sports at all levels. He truly is a Tine icon.
88jrt06
AG
Great post, Jett.
88jrt06
AG
To be fair to Ed B., I think the pedo rumors kind of boiled down to having a young(er) coke supplier.
Not a "boy" friend....

He is lucky in a lot of ways, but the price was astronomical.
Anyone know if he's had the heart transplant yet?
MAS444
AG
Calhoun county represent!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.