Houston
Sponsored by

Phi Slama Jama

3,817 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by kelkel25
David_Puddy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any of yall watch this 30 for 30 last night? Pretty thoed. Those UH teams from 81-84 had a crazy amount of talent and just couldn't win it all. Although the UNC team they faced in their first of 3 Final 4s had a sick amount of talent as well - MJ, Big Smooth Sam Perkins, James Worthy, and Brad Doherty. UH PG Rob Williams has basically been off the grid since a few years after all of those guys left and had been living a simple life out of the spotlight. Seemed he was quite affected by that NC State loss in 1983 which caused him to go off the grid. Definitely was one of the better 30 for 30 episodes (not quite on the level of The Escobars, The U, etc, but still solid).
Big Cat `93
AG
It was well done. I forgot how salty old Guy V. could be.

One minus: Larry Micheaux is STILL underrated all these years later. They never mentioned who was doing a lot of the dirty work on the boards to start those breaks.
Astrobo
AG
UH point guard Rob Williams was not even on the team when they lost to NC State. He went pro early and freshman Alvin Franklin was the point guard. I don't think it was the loss to NC State that was keeping Rob Williams down.
Liquid Wrench
Benny Anders was the guy who went off the grid.
TP Ag '87
AG
Saw it last night. Didn't realize that it was a first run; figured I'd just missed it.

Was excellent as most of the 30/30's are.

Pretty cool the way those guys searched for BA. Pretty moving.
David_Puddy
AG
Got my names mixed up. Benny Anders.
FNG
Which of these guys has the OP done shots with or had a table next to when out on the town?
David_Puddy
AG
The one that ran a train on your sister
TP Ag '87
jja79
AG
David_Puddy said:

Did you even watch the show man?

Benny Anders was the Bomber from Bernice. In HS he played with Karl Malone, Joe Dumars and one other NBA guy. Can't remember who. He was sort of like Danuel House in that he was long, athletic as hell and streaky.

As I recall he quit the team for a while and then returned the year they lost to Georgetown. He showed up at the arena FF weekend wearing a pink tuxedo or something.
FNG
David_Puddy said:

That's Branding Iron level smack there
randy828
AG
I used to work out at the Downtown Y around 2002 and Reid Gettys would be in there. Dude was huge....but he always looked so small on the court with all the other guys.

I loved watching Phi Slamma Jamma play.
Boo Weekley
One of my fav 30 for 30's. Clyde Drexler is still one of my all time favs to this day.
David_Puddy
AG
FNG said:

David_Puddy said:

Care to comment on the show or would you rather continue to be a General Board dildo?
FNG
David_Puddy said:

FNG said:

David_Puddy said:

Care to comment on the show or would you rather continue to be a General Board dildo?

I haven't seen it.
bularry
David_Puddy said:

not to be nit picky, but neither BA or RobW was a PG, either.
Astrobo
AG
Rob Williams was definitely a point guard. A dang good one too.
kelkel25
Rob was a shooting guard bro, distributing the ball wasn't his thang.
That whole team was all that the Tine is son
Astrobo
AG
I do not understand your slang, but if you look up the roster or Rob Williams bio, he is a 6'2" point guard. He scored a lot of points, just like Magic Johnson scored a lot of points from the point guard position. I saw a lot of the games back in the day, he normally brought the ball up court.
88jrt06
AG
Astrobo said:

I do not understand your slang, but if you look up the roster or Rob Williams bio, he is a 6'2" point guard. He scored a lot of points, just like Magic Johnson scored a lot of points from the point guard position. I saw a lot of the games back in the day, he normally brought the ball up court.
Wasn't there another PG named Williams on those teams? Played w/Rob.
Rob came out of (Houston Milby) HS averaging about 27 ppg, tops in the Tine. He was a 2 guard.
He did bring the ball up a lot, though, at UH. (So did Gettys @ 6'7", Clyde, and others...that's Guy V!).

The 2nd half of the 20th C., I believe UH had more cumulative talent than A&M and tu....COMBINED.
They used to score in Florida (Birdsong), Louisiana (Hayes, Anders) and cherry-picked HISD in its prime (Clyde).
Oh yeah, also Nigeria ; )
People forget what a monster UH was in hoops....for decades.
David_Puddy
AG
Would you cumstains quit arguing silly semantics and get back to the greatness of this 30 for 30......thanks
MelvinUdall
I thought it was good, but certainly not one of my favorites, and I was a big Phi Slama Jama kid growing up, my dad and I went to a few of their games.
Scantron882
AG
It was a good one done very well
kelkel25
The coolest thing I had forgotten was that they had two different jersey numbers (home and road) that's Tine ballin the f out and so Cougar High
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.