Houston
Sponsored by

council for contractor termination

1,111 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jman83
jman83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm looking for a recommendation for someone to review a situation with a contract for home remodel for me. The contractor and I have pretty much parted ways without the work or the contract being 100% complete. I don't feel I owe them any money with the work/materials where it currently stands, and would rather terminate than have them come back to finish at this point. They have left the property and didn't leave anything they own behind. I have tried to contact them to schedule completion, and they have become unresponsive so my preference is to officially wrap it up, and have someone else finish the small remaining work. My concern is that with appx $2k remaining on the contract, they could lien or sue at anytime to try and collect if they became needy unless I take some other documented action. I think a letter from a lawyer summarizing our position, attempts to contact them, and advisement of an "effective date of termination" of the contract is how I should go about doing this, but I'm a bit out of my league and I really don't want to drop a ton of cash creating a battle. I am already planning to pay another contractor to finish. My gut tells me they are not going to show up later, but I've heard worse stories and want to insulate myself from these people.

Sidenote - Aside from the unfinished portion, the work they completed is of acceptible quality, and they don't owe me a massive chunk of work I already paid for. I'm purely seeking an official exit.

Am I on the right path or wasting time and money?
Can someone recommend an Aggie lawyer?
If they haven't finished the work described in the contract, is this even a concern?

Thanks

Jman
AlaskanAg08
AG
Betty is my go to for all things construction related. Her area of work is focused on construction related litigation, contracts and liens.

PM me if you need any addl info. Her firm is filled with Aggies, and she is an SEC girl (Florida and LSU).

Betty Richmond
Associate
Baker, Donelson, Bearman, Caldwell & Berkowitz, PC
1301 McKinney Street, Suite 3700
Houston, Texas 77010
Direct: 713-210-7440
Cell: 832-506-1214
E-mail: brichmond@bakerdonelson.com
www.bakerdonelson.com
jman83
Great, thanks!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.