Houston
Sponsored by

My "moving" violation

4,069 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 94chem
94chem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was out with my wife Saturday night on Washington. We're stopped at a light, 5 or 6 cars back, in the right lane. We notice that the restaurant is on the other side of the street, so I check behind me, nobody's coming, so I move over into the left lane. Maybe I signaled, maybe I didn't. I don't remember, but if I did, it would have turned off because I had to sharply turn the wheel left then right to execute the lane change.

Cop pulls up behind me, and when I notice he wants me, I'm now in the left turn lane. I turn into a lot and park. This guy walks up to me, his voice cracking like he's got Lee Harvey Oswald in front of him, and says "Good morning, sir," at 8 p.m. I think this may have been his first ever traffic stop. Anyway, he says I didn't signal my lane change, all the while with his voice quavering like he's reading his Bible at an ISIS potluck dinner. I hope this guy keeps his bullet in his pocket. He says for future reference, I need to pull off to the right...you know, because that's the safest thing to do when you're in the LH turn lane.

Anyway, I got a ticket, and I can't find the fine anywhere. I guess I'll be taking DD and paying the downtown tax, since you can't even see the evidence against you unless you go to court. The citation says RD165, but that doesn't show up on the schedule of fines, so I wouldn't even know what to pay.

I know, cool story - warms my heart to think this kid will get promoted if he does this enough. To add insult to injury, as we're pulling away from the stop, we witness somebody making a U-turn on Shepherd and driving one full block (Shepherd is a one-way street, btw).

Sazerac
AG
Ticketed for not signaling a lane change?? Brutal.
Aggie Rick
AG
Bout time thy start cracking down on you clowns. Hopefully they go after you people on the freeways next.
Ag_07
AG
The real punishment here is going out on Washington.

Lesson learned. Don't do it.
Texaggie7nine
Just hire one of the many traffic attorneys. Most likely your case will get dismissed.
7nine
gindaloon
AG
Uber
CDUB98
AG
Quote:

his voice quavering like he's reading his Bible at an ISIS potluck dinner.
PA04
Good. Your tandem bicycle does not grant you immunity from the law. Tell the rest of your critical mass friends.
94chem
Serious question - I've been driving for 28 years and that was my first violation. Wouldn't I just be better off paying the $114 tax, taking online DD, and moving on, rather than hiring a lawyer?
drumboy
AG
How do you think they pull people over for driving drunk? Moves like that on Washington.

That would be your easiest option (just paying and taking DD) but I usually (once every 5 years or so) plead not guilty and if the cop shows they'll over DD or Deferred Disposition where you pay a little more but don't have to take DD.

I just took online DD last week and it was brutal. I remember in the past you kick off a ~20 minute video and come back and answer a question or two but this was split into a bunch of 'pages' with text or a short clip and you can't proceed until you sit there for 2-10 minutes.
Ag_07
AG
Yes

Only tin foil hat wearing jackwads who get off on 'sticking to the man' hire lawyers to fight minor traffic violations.
94chem
Okay, thanks. I'll do the DD and move on. I'm sure that when this guy graduated 150th in his class at Stratford and got the $250 PTA scholarship to SHSU, he thought he was on the fast track...I'm sure somebody will take him under his wings and teach him the virtue of double-dipping at court. Why should I help him get 4 hours of overtime in addition to his putzery?
Texaggie7nine
94chem said:

Serious question - I've been driving for 28 years and that was my first violation. Wouldn't I just be better off paying the $114 tax, taking online DD, and moving on, rather than hiring a lawyer?
It's just personal preference. I personally would pay the $100 to a lawyer and get it dismissed and not worry about it. . Super easy. That just applies for major metropolitan areas though where chances of your cop showing at your particular case are pretty much nil. And even if it were to miraculously go to trial, you would have a good defense anyways.
7nine
Texaggie7nine
Ag_07 said:

Yes

Only tin foil hat wearing jackwads who get off on 'sticking to the man' hire lawyers to fight minor traffic violations.
Only idiots pay the dumb tax when they don't have to.
7nine
drumboy
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

That just applies for major metropolitan areas though where chances of your cop showing at your particular case are pretty much nil
If that's the case you can do it for free. Just plead not guilty and hope he doesn't show.

I'm 2 for 4 in the past 10 years, I think, but my cop buddy said that the traffic cops always show so if you get caught in a speed trap your chances aren't as high.
Texaggie7nine
My atty rescheduled my case 3 times before I finally had to show to get it dismissed. It ended up being about 10 months after the actual ticket.
7nine
agnatgas
AG
Quote:

Bout time thy start cracking down on you clowns.
Are these real clowns or people dressing up as clowns?
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

I've been driving for 28 years and that was my first violation
Wut? How is that even possible? Not sure I believe you.
94chem
Quote:

What can I say? I obey the laws.
BMX Bandit
94chem said:

Quote:

What can I say? I used to obey the laws.

FIFY. Degenerate.

MichaelJ
AG
94chem said:

That's what they want you to think. It's how they get ya.

Fwiw. You have to go to court either way. You can't just take dd and call/mail it in.

So it's cheaper to hire the lawyer as that will run you 80-100 vs the 114 you will pay the court plus the ~50 it will cost for dd

Plus this way you are paying a lawyer and not the city for this crap
94chem
Quote:

Quote:

Fwiw. You have to go to court either way. You can't just take dd and call/mail it in.

So it's cheaper to hire the lawyer as that will run you 80-100 vs the 114 you will pay the court plus the ~50 it will cost for dd

I detect some serious fail here.
MichaelJ
AG
94chem said:

Quote:

Quote:

I detect some serious fail here.

Nope. True story. You can either pay your fine and avoid court and dd. But if you want to take dd even if you take it before your court date you still have to go to court and have dd officially offered to you. Then pay the court fees etc etc.
94chem
Quote:

But if you want to take dd even if you take it before your court date you still have to go to court and have dd officially offered to you.
I just mailed in the form and the check to request DD. I seriously don't know what you're talking about.
MichaelJ
AG
Well that's new then.

I just hire my lawyer and don't worry about it
BMX Bandit
It's been "new" no less than 16 years.

But hire the guy who's lawyer makes him go to court and take defensive driving. He sounds like a good referral source.
Ag_07
AG
94chem said:

Quote:

But if you want to take dd even if you take it before your court date you still have to go to court and have dd officially offered to you.
I just mailed in the form and the check to request DD. I seriously don't know what you're talking about.

This.

It's the same as if you get a ticket in BFE County. You don't have to go back and appear just to take DD.

It's been a long time since I've had a ticket, but I've never had to appear to get DD.

1. Send form in pleading no contest and request DD
2. Pay a reduced amount
3. Take DD
4. Mail in completion form

Very easy
MichaelJ
AG
Ag_07 said:

94chem said:

Quote:

This.

It's the same as if you get a ticket in BFE County. You don't have to go back and appear just to take DD.

It's been a long time since I've had a ticket, but I've never had to appear to get DD.

1. Send form in pleading no contest and request DD
2. Pay a reduced amount
3. Take DD
4. Mail in completion form

Very easy

That's all well and good. But you still have to take dd. Which is the absolute worst.

My lawyer is 3/3 on dismissals.
Ag_07
AG
Awesome!!

BigPuma
AG
who is your lawyer.
MichaelJ
AG
BigPuma said:

who is your lawyer.

Just your standard traffic lawyers. I think I used citizen before. I've got sullo and sullo right now
94chem
Didn't we used to have a cop who posted on here, agofenlightement or something similar? Did he finally recognize that he basically works with a bunch of meter maids and low level IRS agents?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.