Houston
Sponsored by

Uverse

5,540 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by RK
bmet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any recent success stories renegotiating with Uverse? I need to call the retention dept this week as my prices are about to shoot thru the roof again. I had a heck of a time squeezing them for much last year and was hoping things have changed some.
bigjag19
AG
I'm almost certainly switching to Comcast when my 1 year latest price squeeze is up. Service has always been pretty bad, prices are getting ridiculous now as well.
FtBendTxAg
AG
I've been really shocked at Comcast's change in customer service. They've completely flipped the script and are what uverse was 5+ years ago. I signed up a few months ago (switch from ATT) and their support has been great. Unfortunately their internet service is very poor to my residence (even at nearly triple the speed of my uverse), so I had to cancel and keep uverse for internet only. (They have some kind of 30 day money back offer)

If they do hassle you, maybe think about going back over to the dark side. Never thought I would.
TXTransplant
bmet said:

Any recent success stories renegotiating with Uverse? I need to call the retention dept this week as my prices are about to shoot thru the roof again. I had a heck of a time squeezing them for much last year and was hoping things have changed some.

My experience has been that it depends on the customer service rep you happen to get. Last time I went through this, the girl was helpful and found whatever discounts she could (I currently have a Microsoft employee discount. I do not work for Microsoft).

Other times I've called the rep has been completely unhelpful, and I've had to wait a couple of months until new promotions come out to get a decent deal.
htxag09
AG
This has been my experience as well. Although, it seems that I'm hearing more and more that they're trying to force you to DirectTV so they won't offer many discounts for UVerse....
Ag_07
AG
Made the switch from Uverse to DirectTV a few months ago and it was well worth it.

If you have UVerse internet and bundled with DirectTV they were offering something stupid cheap and we jumped on it. Cut our bill by more than half.
TXAG 05
AG
Ag_07 said:

Made the switch from Uverse to DirectTV a few months ago and it was well worth it.

If you have UVerse internet and bundled with DirectTV they were offering something stupid cheap and we jumped on it. Cut our bill by more than half.

How does it work during storms?
Ag_07
AG
Not as bad I anticipated. I was very hesitant about this and it's one reason we didn't switch earlier. In the 4 months we've had it it's only gone out completely just once. On just a couple of occasions it's kinds sputtered for a few seconds and gone right back to normal.

We did ours through Brent at Soundwaves (TexAgs sponsor) and we got the equivalent DTV package that included RootSports and SEC network, 3 months of all premium movie channels for free, and free 2016 NFL Sunday Ticket and got locked in for 2 years at $70 a month.
bigbass1170
AG
I called last week and did pretty well. They pushed directv pretty hard. You can definitely tell that's what they want to move to. I told them I had looked at directv before. But since I don't have a southern facing wall and am in an apartment, directv wasn't an option for me. Then they came down on their uverse prices.
TXAG 05
AG
Ag_07 said:

Not as bad I anticipated. I was very hesitant about this and it's one reason we didn't switch earlier. In the 4 months we've had it it's only gone out completely just once. On just a couple of occasions it's kinds sputtered for a few seconds and gone right back to normal.

We did ours through Brent at Soundwaves (TexAgs sponsor) and we got the equivalent DTV package that included RootSports and SEC network, 3 months of all premium movie channels for free, and free 2016 NFL Sunday Ticket and got locked in for 2 years at $70 a month.

Ok. That has been my hold up with them as well. Is the $70 just tv or is that with Internet included?
Ag_07
AG
That is just the DirectTV. The internet is bundled into that.

Reach out to Brent and see what he can do for you. It was super easy and his guys came out and did the install promptly.

One of the easiest processes I've gone through.
maverick2076
I actually renewed with them this time instead of cancelling and signing up as a new customer. Only took about 10 minutes, there was no argument, and I got the same rate as I had last year, locked in for 2 years, and they upgraded one of my receivers to wireless.
Al Bula
AG
U-verse in the woodlands sucks dick. Internet is slow and main box frequently goes out. It is a pain but not as much of a pain as having to deal with customer service reps on the phone. Will be dropping it at the end of the month.
drumboy
AG
Like others have stated, AT&T wants Uverse users to switch to DirecTV.

My 1 TV U200 w/ not-the-fastest-internet went from $125 to $190 and I got it down to $165 when I called and threatened to cancel. One month later I did cancel when we cut the cord and they tried hard to get me on various cheaper plans.
Bregxit
AG
RPM said:

U-verse in the woodlands sucks dick. Internet is slow and main box frequently goes out. It is a pain but not as much of a pain as having to deal with customer service reps on the phone. Will be dropping it at the end of the month.
What you mean is U-Verse at your house in The Woodlands sucks dick. Mine is great, though the prices are getting stupid and I'll probably have to change soon after having it for 9 years.
WES2006AG
AG
I called and immediately got transferred to the retention department. I was able to get $260 down to about $175 by doing this. It was much easier this year than last year. Must have just been a helpful representative I talked to.
bmet
AG
For comparison sake, I have U300, 4 televisions, internet max plus. With taxes, my total comes to $179.56 with the deal I'm currently on which expires this week.
JSKolache
AG
When I called to drop TV & switch to internet-only (for streaming) they offered me everything under the sun to stay with Uverse TV. Maybe try that? Lady actually seemed shocked that legitimately wanted to switch & wasn't just calling to deal-shop.
FNG
People still watch tv?
FtBendTxAg
AG
Football and How It's Made bro
blackgoldag11
AG
Wife just called and had our price dropped, we pay 160/month for u450 and internet
AW96
AG
We've been with Uverse since they first came to our area about 9 years ago. Every year I have to play this game and some years the result is better than others. Usually my rate will jump about 30% and I get the increase down to about 5-10%. (We just have the basic U200 and internet.) This year when I was transferred to retention which I ask for every year, I got a great guy who went above and beyond without me really having to play the game. I just told him that I needed my rate to stay the same and he found some good discounts when the first lady said nothing was available. The total wasn't quite as low as before so before I could say anything he issued a bill credit equal to the overage for the contract length. It was the easiest time I ever had playing the renegotiation game. He also didn't try to push Direct TV at all. Before you give up or switch, give it a try.
johnrth
dlance said:

RPM said:

What you mean is U-Verse at your house in The Woodlands sucks dick. Mine is great, though the prices are getting stupid and I'll probably have to change soon after having it for 9 years.

Have been using uverse for 4yrs cut the cable a few months ago but kept internet and bumped it up a notch. I'm in the woodlands and agree internet sucks.
jamesf
AG
I just called them yesterday. They are really pushing everyone to switch to DirecTV, and the pricing options will reflect that. I researched it and it looks like AT&T is phasing out their U-verse TV service and brand, which is why they are pushing everyone to switch to DirecTV.

I got the DirecTV Choice package and 24 mbps internet for $110 with a 2-year contract.
Quailmeezy
AG
Went through this a few months ago and had pretty good success.

For those who doing this for the first time:
First call the retention department directly(800-288-2020) . Don't deal with any of the customer service people. Tell them you want to cancel services because the rate is too high. Quote a Comcast rate and say that's what you're switching to. Then you just have to deal with a bunch of uncomfortable silence while they make you offers. Here is an old article that outlines the basic tactics http://stopthecap.com/2013/12/04/how-to-score-a-better-deal-with-at-28mo-for-18mbps-33mo-for-24mbps/

Here is what worked for me in July:
The retentions rep said that the best rate I could get was if I added home phone service to my TV/Internet service. That way I could technically be classified as a new customer and receive those sign up bonuses.

So I was able to keep my current levels of internet and TV and they remotely configured my modem to enable a home phone service (which I will of course never use because this is the 21st century). That took my bill from 157 down to 102.

Like many others have said, this song and dance was a lot easier in the past when they weren't trying to push directv, but I was surprised at how painless it was this year for me.

Also this thread on the nerdery is helpful http://texags.com/forums/30/topics/2735234/replies/45853058#45853058

Good luck!
The Catfish
AG
I cut the cord because I was tired of dealing w the BS like this. I got PlayStation Vue through Roku and an antenna in the attic. I get all the live sports and abunch of women channels for $35/month.
bmet
AG
bmet said:

For comparison sake, I have U300, 4 televisions, internet max plus. With taxes, my total comes to $179.56 with the deal I'm currently on which expires this week.
Update in case it helps anyone: I called and got the same setup above for $169 after taxes. Was offered U450 which would be $183 after taxes. Pretty easy to do this year compared to past couple years.
JDUB08AG
AG
I had a directv guy come out because we were switching from U-verse. Problem is we have line of site issues due to a green belt behind our house. Deed restrictions also prevent a dish on the front/side of our house.

Should we just threaten to drop U-verse? The price is stupid now. Thinking about calling again this week to get this in motion. Trying to figure if the directv issue gives me more or less leverage.
The Original AG 76
AG
WelchAg said:

I had a directv guy come out because we were switching from U-verse. Problem is we have line of site issues due to a green belt behind our house. Deed restrictions also prevent a dish on the front/side of our house.

Should we just threaten to drop U-verse? The price is stupid now. Thinking about calling again this week to get this in motion. Trying to figure if the directv issue gives me more or less leverage.
Federal access regs override ANY HOA or deed restrictions. IF you can prove ( simple letter from installer) that in order to receive the signal you need to mount the dish wherever you have a right to put it there.
pilot
AG
We've tried twice in the last few months to do the "normal negotiating" down of the U-verse price. They've called my bluff each time so yesterday we cancelled. They are serious about steering people away from U-verse and onto DirectTV. We are moving otherwise I would switch to Xfinity. Instead, we are going to do Sling.

They are burning their loyalty with customers...
tramaro1
AG
I go through this crap every year with at&t. call 877-377-0414, that is their promotions dept and tell them your bill is too much and want the latest promotional deals they have. I never had an issue with them giving me the latest deal.
CAR96
AG
I can't get Direct TV because the installed dish will not get a line of sight.

I am a Uverse customer and have been for a long time. I have to tell them that Direct TV installers have been out and not able to et line of sight.

They usually lower me a little bit, but not much anymore.
Jack Klompus
AG
When our price was increased about 6 months ago, we called and they did very little to keep us as customers. They wanted to switch us to DirecTV, and we didn't want it. We dropped them and never looked back. We're with Xfinity now, and I much prefer the on-demand programming, the guide layout, the voice remote, and faster internet. We also signed up for their alarm monitoring instead of a landline phone like we had with AT&T.
espii10
AG
If anyone is just trying to keep their internet prices down I am offering internet service. It is through AT&T except we have better pricing. I'm currently a broker for the service and some as a side gig while looking for a full-time job. Also trying to pay-off student loans and helping with the bills on top of that. I've had Uverse in my parents' place before this, but the jacking of prices is suffocating. They went with this, and so far so good. I can give you a quick quote for the prices if you are interested. If my quote does not beat what you are paying right now, no pressure. The only downside is that you will get your bills online. No options for paper billing. Feel free to email me for a quote esemarpee.14 at gmail dot com.
RK
AG
My great grandfather will be very disappointed that paper bills are not available.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.