Houston
Sponsored by

Traveling to bama - Fastest Route avoiding I-10 in Baton Rouge

4,187 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Guitarsoup
WilCoAg17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm heading out of Kingwood on Friday afternoon to make the trip to Tuscaloosa. I heard horror stories about I-10 in Baton Rouge when a bunch of Aggies were headed to Auburn this season. Any suggestions on which route to take?
Rexter
I'd take 10 to US165 to 20 or take 59 to 20.
Gap
AG
Go 59/79 to Shreveport and then I-20 all the way to Tuscaloosa.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Rather than going 10 to I-59 near Hattiesburg, take 59 to Livingston and 190 across going through Leesville and Alexandria then getting on 20 a little west of Vicksburg. A little more scenic drive through the Delta.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
Googlemaps.com
ZooGuy
AG
I wouldn't take I-10. There's a ton of construction on it in Loseranna right now.

Go up to I-20 and take that way. I've been both ways in the past week (came to Texas from TN to go to the TN game).
Bregxit
AG
Currently 12 minute difference between US59->20 and 10->I-59.

Six in one, half dozen in the other.
ZooGuy
AG
dlance said:

The construction on I-10 makes it about 1 to 2 hours longer
Bregxit
AG
ZooGuy said:

dlance said:

I don't argue with the Google Lady. I don't recall a time when she wasn't balls-on accurate with her ETAs.
ZooGuy
AG
dlance said:

ZooGuy said:

dlance said:

I don't argue with the Google Lady. I don't recall a time when she wasn't balls-on accurate with her ETAs.

I'm just going by what I actually drove and how long it took me. I don't think she takes into account construction.
AgLiving06
ZooGuy said:

dlance said:

ZooGuy said:

dlance said:

I'm just going by what I actually drove and how long it took me. I don't think she takes into account construction.

Google App does. It makes suggestions based on the speed of the cars up ahead.

I was driving back from Bama when Baton Rouge flooded and it took me off I10 at the very last minute to make sure I avoided all the flooding.
Bregxit
AG
ZooGuy said:

dlance said:

ZooGuy said:

dlance said:

It is real time traffic speeds from tracking cell phone signals. It is extremely accurate.
The Original AG 76
AG
I drove to B'ham last week via 59 to I-20. My sister drove via I-10.
Short version:
I chose wisely.
ZooGuy
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

Short version:
I chose wisely.
This. I'll take my real time experience over a computer any day of the week.

I actually drove both. The time Google expects me to take is ALWAYS longer than it actually takes me.
The Original AG 76
AG
ZooGuy said:

The Original AG 76 said:

Short version:
I chose wisely.
This. I'll take my real time experience over a computer any day of the week.

I actually drove both. The time Google expects me to take is ALWAYS longer than it actually takes me.
ok got a little more time to clarify.

I-10 is a traffic nightmare almost all the way to Mobile. Ive made that drive twice this year and it has been horrific.
Went to Birmingham a few weeks ago via US59..Lufkin, Teneha Timpson , Bobo and Blair ( had to work that in) up thru Carthage and into La just outside of Shreveport. I-20 does have some lane work being done that can cause some delays nit not near as bad as I-10.
WARNING. There is a YUUUUGE mess on 20 in Tuscaloosa itself. Its on the B'ham side and can be a 45 minute delay in heavy traffic.
JJxvi
AG
Drove I10 through Mobile and back in August/Sept and dont remember any big issues. Where is this construction?
BigPuma
AG
O'Doyle Rules said:

Googlemaps.com

I believe you misspelled Waze
The Original AG 76
AG
JJxvi said:

Drove I10 through Mobile and back in August/Sept and dont remember any big issues. Where is this construction?
Wasn't due to construction ( other than a couple short lane closures) It is all about the traffic load. I-10 seems to have at least twice the 18 wheelers that I-20 does. PLUS throw in the entire La Highway Patrol seemingly camped out on 10 and you get a miserable drive.
Again I drove em both within weeks and hated the I-10 route.
The Original AG 76
AG
BigPuma said:

O'Doyle Rules said:

Googlemaps.com

I finally gave up on WAZE. I have no interest in constant " warnings" about a bird on a tree branch or whatnot that you can not turn OFF. I think that some parents let their kids see just how many VEHICLE STOPPED ON SIDE OF ROAD warnings they can send. The cop warnings are not much better.
WAZE would be great if they let you turn off all of the meaningless WARNINGS.
agnatgas
AG
Much, much more traffic on 10 than 20
Panama Red
AG
CLASSIC TINE BOARD IS BACK!!

mustang6tee8
AG
Going through Beaumont on Friday afternoon will be hell too. Definitely go 59/20
Chewy
AG
So don't trust the Google app? We're headed out at 7 on Fri morning so was thinking 10 would be fine going there but seriously debating the 20 route back because Sunday traffic on 10 can be a real booger.
Token
AG
BigPuma said:

O'Doyle Rules said:

Googlemaps.com

google owns waze, you know this, right?
vansprinkle
AG
We did 10 to Mobile and up on our way to Auburn and reversed it on the way home. No traffic issues at all. Of course, on our way out we were in Beaumont at 6a, so we got through before Friday morning traffic.

Grabbed some daquiris in Slidell for the run through Miss. On the way back we picked up a few cases of Yeungling to bring home to Texas. And hey, the Ags won too.

Overall a blast and not a problem at all with traffic. With that said, I20 is still probably a safer bet.

And Google and Waze cannot predict traffic/accidents. It'll take 4 hours to get to BR down 10. If a wreck happens anywhere in that time frame, it'll obviously be too late to go the 59 to 20 route. Just pick the "safe" route and hope nothing happens in front of you.
SJEAg
AG

Quote:

I finally gave up on WAZE. I have no interest in constant " warnings" about a bird on a tree branch or whatnot that you can not turn OFF. I think that some parents let their kids see just how many VEHICLE STOPPED ON SIDE OF ROAD warnings they can send. The cop warnings are not much better.

Latest version lets you filter Alerts...and yeah, hazard on shoulder was the first to go.
Malcolm52
AG
currently google maps is saying 1-10 to I-59 is 8 hr 57 min, 59 to I-20, 9 hr 46 min. For those who have done the drive recently, are you saying that despite that projection 59 to I-20 is still faster?
BigPuma
AG
Token said:

BigPuma said:

O'Doyle Rules said:

Googlemaps.com

google owns waze, you know this, right?
lil99chris
AG
Friday afternoons/nights on I-10 suck.
MAROON
AG
SJEAg said:

Quote:

Latest version lets you filter Alerts...and yeah, hazard on shoulder was the first to go.
I love the "object on road" warning...I always (to my wife's chagrin yell out, "I strenuously object!"
2012Ag
AG
Malcolm52 said:

currently google maps is saying 1-10 to I-59 is 8 hr 57 min, 59 to I-20, 9 hr 46 min. For those who have done the drive recently, are you saying that despite that projection 59 to I-20 is still faster?

Exactly what I saw and my question as well.
The Original AG 76
AG
SJEAg said:

Quote:

NM found it
byfLuger41
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Fastest route is Hobby to BHM. Some flights just opened up. I picked up a couple just in case.
Thunder18
AG
LSU has a home game this week,so keep that in mind when thinking about taking 10 through BR
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.