Houston
Sponsored by

Harris County DA election

5,713 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by CDUB98
RoamingGnome
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Judges should never be elected. It leads to unjust results and, as has already been mentioned, straight ticket voting is a major factor in that.

Just look at 2008 -- straight ticket Obama voters bring in a wave of no-name democrats, including Kevin Fine to the 177th district court. This guy is/was a recovering cocaine addict and was recently arrested again for possession. He openly questioned the truthfulness of a rape victim AFTER the jury had convicted the defendant. He declared the death penalty unconstitutional despite the US Supreme Court's ruling on the topic.

Avoid straight ticket voting. Most of the Republican incumbents are good judges and Anderson is a good DA.
Liquid Wrench
UndergroundAg said:

So it appears Anderson called Ogg a liberal lesbian on some interview according to a friend who is following this race.
OK, finally found it thanks to related posts on Facebook.

Quote:

When they get a liberal, pro-choice lesbian district attorney, I wonder how many cases they'll have problems with, with her," Anderson could be heard saying.
http://www.click2houston.com/news/da-anderson-brings-up-opponent-oggs-sexual-orientation-during-interview

Makes sense in the context of the interview.
Aggie1205
AG
Hasn't the rape victim story been shown as false by the father of the girl and local news?
HtownAg92
AG
There is really no way of mentioning Ogg's sexual orientation in any context without being considered intolerant, or worse, branded as a queer-bashing hate-filled homophobe. The reality is that to some people, her sexual orientation is but one factor in an overall leaning toward liberalism that may not be appropriate in the DA's office of a major city. To me, the DA should be about law and order and the safety and protection of the citizens of the county. Politics and personal agenda should never play a role in a decision to prosecute or dismiss. After 6 years of Parker, during which promises that the overall good of the city would not take a back-seat to her personal agenda were broken, ANY potential that personal agenda could affect an important county office gives me pause about the candidate. This is not just limited to LGBT, I would worry about electing a atheist, pacifist vegan or a militia-secessionist ultra-right-winger too.
CDUB98
AG
Quote:

To me, the DA should be about law and order and the safety and protection of the citizens of the county. Politics and personal agenda should never play a role in a decision to prosecute or dismiss.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.