Houston
Sponsored by

Harris County DA election

5,715 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by CDUB98
Al Bula
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
All I know about this election is an upstart assistant DA is looking to unseat her boss per commercials.

Does this Ogg chick have a chance against Anderson? What's the deal with Ogg? She is running on rape kit platform.

Uninformed Montgomery County resident here. I'll hang up and listen.
RoamingGnome
Ogg is a politician who has unsuccessfully run as both a Republican and Democratic. Her campaign substantially funded by money outside Texas, namely Soros and other heavy hitting dems.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.chron.com/news/politics/amp/Billionaire-Soros-makes-500-000-ad-buy-for-9970130.php

Anderson is a former felony prosecutor and judge. She is widely respected by the defense bar and prosecutors alike.

The contest of qualifications isn't even close. Anderson all the way.

Liquid Wrench

Quote:

is an upstart assistant DA is looking to unseat her boss per commercials.
Not quite. Kim Ogg was a prosecutor years ago. She's been in private practice for years and is the former executive director of Crime Stoppers. She ran against Devon last time, but has never worked for her.
AGHouston11
AG
Anderson is questionable and a disappointment. Probably no vote for me on this one.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
I vote opposite of Soros. Hope Ogg goes down in flames
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
I remember having a reason for not voting Ogg last time but I can't remember what it is. Anderson seems pretty ****ty though.
agnerd
AG
I was all for Ogg til Soros got involved.

Anderson pissed me off when the grand jury indicted the Planned Parenthood video people for using fake IDs and then she dropped the charges instead of prosecuting. If you're only going to prosecute grand jury indictments when they fit your agenda, I don't want you as AG even if we share similar ideologies. Enforce the law or resign. Even if it violates your personal beliefs.

Anderson also allowed a flaky witness in a rape trial to be held in jail to ensure the witness would show up to court to testify. You shouldn't treat witnesses like that.

Then when Precinct 4 destroyed a bunch of evidence, Anderson tried to arrange plea deals with defendants before informing them all the evidence in their cases had been destroyed. Have trouble voting for someone that can't take responsibility for her f-ups. I think Anderson should be disbarred over that one.

I guess right now, I'm at three knocks against Anderson, one knock against Ogg. Barring another scandal, Ogg will be one of the only Democrats I vote for. Also voting against everyone in Precinct 4 Sheriff's office that destroyed all that evidence and put a bunch of drug dealers and criminals back on the streets since everyone's pointing fingers and nobody is taking responsibility.
aggiedent
AG
Count me in the group that is so disappointed with Anderson, I'm voting for Ogg regardless of where her financial support comes from.

If she disappoints me, then I'll vote against her next time as well.
RoamingGnome
agnerd said:

Anderson pissed me off when the grand jury indicted the Planned Parenthood video people for using fake IDs and then she dropped the charges instead of prosecuting. If you're only going to prosecute grand jury indictments when they fit your agenda, I don't want you as AG even if we share similar ideologies. Enforce the law or resign. Even if it violates your personal beliefs
It doesn't work like that. The GJ just decides whether there is probable cause to proceed. It is a litmus test, not an in-depth analysis. You really don't want prosecutors taking to trial everything a GJ indicts. Trust me.
Quote:

Then when Precinct 4 destroyed a bunch of evidence, Anderson tried to arrange plea deals with defendants before informing them all the evidence in their cases had been destroyed. Have trouble voting for someone that can't take responsibility for her f-ups. I think Anderson should be disbarred over that one.
DA has little to no control over a police precinct. I would be curious when and to what extent Pct 4 informed the DA's office about their screw up, if at all. My understanding is that prosecutors were getting cases ready for trial and were finding evidence missing that should have been there. That doesn't suggest to me that the DA was in the know.

Having a politician as your DA causes more harm than you know or will ever hear about in the papers. Anderson is miles better than Ogg. Ogg just wants to get elected for something and will do or say anything to get there. Just look at her history of failed campaigns.

Anderson every day and twice on Sunday.
agnerd
AG
RoamingGnome said:

agnerd said:

Anderson pissed me off when the grand jury indicted the Planned Parenthood video people for using fake IDs and then she dropped the charges instead of prosecuting. If you're only going to prosecute grand jury indictments when they fit your agenda, I don't want you as AG even if we share similar ideologies. Enforce the law or resign. Even if it violates your personal beliefs
It doesn't work like that. The GJ just decides whether there is probable cause to proceed. It is a litmus test, not an in-depth analysis. You really don't want prosecutors taking to trial everything a GJ indicts. Trust me.
But when the AG is going for an indictment against Planned Parenthood, and the grand jury indicts the other side instead, an impartial AG should proceed with prosecuting the people that ADMITTED they broke the law instead of making sure the indictment is thrown out.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/27/us/last-charges-dropped-against-abortion-opponents-in-planned-parenthood-case.html?_r=0

What's the point of having laws if we're not going to enforce them?
agnerd
AG
RoamingGnome said:

Quote:

DA has little to no control over a police precinct. I would be curious when and to what extent Pct 4 informed the DA's office about their screw up, if at all. My understanding is that prosecutors were getting cases ready for trial and were finding evidence missing that should have been there. That doesn't suggest to me that the DA was in the know.
http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Nearly-100-drug-cases-dismissed-after-evidence-9187644.php
Quote:

The revelation of the destruction apparently surfaced about a week ago after defense attorney Paul Morgan discovered that evidence in his client's case had been destroyed even as prosecutors continued to pursue a 25-year-sentence.
agnerd
AG
RoamingGnome said:

Having a politician as your DA causes more harm than you know or will ever hear about in the papers.

Don't get me wrong, I don't support Ogg one bit. But I think Anderson has screwed up so badly and so often that I'm for anyone except Anderson. Takes a lot for me to vote Democrat and against my ideals, but Anderson has done enough damage.
BMX Bandit
Wasn't the criticism that Andersen wasn't really interested in a meaningful investigation of planned parenthood?
94chem
Prosecuting those people for fake id's, while implicitly condoning the sale of baby parts to the highest bidder, would have been a complete waste of time and money. Might as well prosecute people who shoot home invaders.
CW Griswold
**** Soros, therefore **** Ogg. Everything the media claims the Koch brothers are, Soros actually is.

rononeill
What CWG said
PA04
Every time I see her commercial about never putting a rape victim in jail, I can't help think how maybe Ogg just wants the particular individuals to take an aptitude test to figure out what their aptitude is good at and get them a jail job while they're being a particular individual in jail.
RoamingGnome
agnerd said:

But when the AG is going for an indictment against Planned Parenthood, and the grand jury indicts the other side instead, an impartial AG should proceed with prosecuting the people that ADMITTED they broke the law instead of making sure the indictment is thrown out.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/27/us/last-charges-dropped-against-abortion-opponents-in-planned-parenthood-case.html?_r=0

Can't agree with you at all here. The GJ process is more impartial than you are giving it credit for. The DA can't just decide to prosecute whoever they want irrespective of what the GJ decides. The system isn't designed that way and you honestly don't want it to be that way. And who admitted to breaking the law? Planned parenthood? If that was true, the GJ would have indicted them. Regardless, you can't just decide to prosecute someone willy-nilly after the GJ declined to find probable cause. The Defense would beat you over the head with that fact throughout the trial. If you want to hate Anderson, go ahead but this isn't the case that proves your point at all.

Quote:

The revelation of the destruction apparently surfaced about a week ago after defense attorney Paul Morgan discovered that evidence in his client's case had been destroyed even as prosecutors continued to pursue a 25-year-sentence.
This doesn't help your case either. My point was when did the DA learn about the destruction. This just says when the defense attorney learned about it.
JSKolache
AG
Just pull the Red chain
Texian
AG
The fact that Anderson made it through the primaries shows what a complete failure this election cycle has been for the future of our state and country.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Ogg is a bleeding heart liberal...hope that helps.
UndergroundAg
So it appears Anderson called Ogg a liberal lesbian on some interview according to a friend who is following this race.
BMX Bandit
agnerd said:

RoamingGnome said:

agnerd said:

Ask Ogg.

She said she won't prosecute misdemeanor marijuana crimes.

Announcing ahead of time you won't enforce a law is 1000x worse than not prosecuting 1 case after reviewing the merits

CDUB98
AG
Everyone is going to love an SJW as a DA. People will be let off the hook left and right because they were obviously discriminated against in the video that caught them red handed.

Expect prosecution of cops for any little made up offense to become more important as well.

Crime will get worse. Just watch.
redag06
Well is it true?
Liquid Wrench
Yeah, I'd like to know. That would be somewhat uncharacteristic of Devon.
UndergroundAg
Is it true as far as Ogg being a liberal lesbian or is it true that it was said by Anderson ? Or both? I'll look for a link, supposedly happened in a radio interview.
Al Bula
AG
Look I like enjoy eating puss as much as Ogg but being backed Soros? Can't abide.
The Original AG 76
AG
All of this is meaningless.
This is a pres year, the dems are going to sweep Harris County.
Its over for a lot of damn good judges and all of our country wides on the ballot this year.
Has NOTHING to do with their qualifications. The type of dems that are bussed in and the other means that they rev up every 4 years are too massive to overcome. Our bunch is too fractured and all huffed up over candidates not being 100% Ivory Pure or whatever. Dems could care less about their candidates.

BOOK IT. I've seen the internals.
UndergroundAg
The Original AG 76 said:

All of this is meaningless.
This is a pres year, the dems are going to sweep Harris County.
Its over for a lot of damn good judges and all of our country wides on the ballot this year.
Has NOTHING to do with their qualifications. The type of dems that are bussed in and the other means that they rev up every 4 years are too massive to overcome. Our bunch is too fractured and all huffed up over candidates not being 100% Ivory Pure or whatever. Dems could care less about their candidates.

Go on....
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

Like internal medicine or what?
HumbleAg04
AG
During Presidential election years the majority of "voters" are going to vote straight tickets because easy.

Dems are going to do well because of this.
BigPuma
AG
agnerd said:

RoamingGnome said:

agnerd said:

To be fair, the Grand Jury never would have indicted the people making the video if Anderson didn't lead them to it. Anderson did the right thing and dropped the case.
schmellba99
AG
HumbleAg04 said:

During Presidential election years the majority of "voters" are going to vote straight tickets because easy.

Dems are going to do well because of this.
This.

I despise the existence of straight ticket voting. Hell, I generally despise having party affiliation with candidates as well, but that's a separate story.
schmellba99
AG
agnerd said:

Anderson pissed me off when the grand jury indicted the Planned Parenthood video people for using fake IDs and then she dropped the charges instead of prosecuting. If you're only going to prosecute grand jury indictments when they fit your agenda, I don't want you as AG even if we share similar ideologies. Enforce the law or resign. Even if it violates your personal beliefs.

The charge from the GJ was pretty unprecendented - the folks that did the undercover expose did exactly the same thing that umpteen thousand undercover/investigative reporters do on a daily basis.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.