Houston
Sponsored by

Sigma Brewing

7,617 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by aggiebq03+
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Opened up today. Aggie owner/operator (not me).

http://www.sigmabrewingcompany.com/home
bevokilla
AG
They still don't have a list of their beers on their website.
FNG
Frats
MelvinUdall
bevokilla said:

Here you go.

IPA
something light
Something dark
October fest
Something strange
Pumpkin Spiced

I think that will pretty much sum up most brewers, save for something off the wall or something I have forgotten.
HBCanine08
AG
nhayden said:

bevokilla said:

Here you go.

IPA
something light
Something dark
October fest
Something strange
Pumpkin Spiced

I think that will pretty much sum up most brewers, save for something off the wall or something I have forgotten.
lol true.
MelvinUdall
I am an IPA fan so all brewers I have been to have IPA's, so I am not concerned with a full list, but my experience has been the above offering. For instance at No Label about 3 or 4 years ago they had the Jalapeo lager, now it is a hatch lager, both are good for having one, but nothing more.
Texaggie7nine
nhayden said:

I am an IPA fan so all brewers I have been to have IPA's, so I am not concerned with a full list, but my experience has been the above offering. For instance at No Label about 3 or 4 years ago they had the Jalapeo lager, now it is a hatch lager, both are good for having one, but nothing more.
Have you had the Quad IPA at Karbach yet?

It's the *****es tits.
7nine
jetch17
AG
The QUINT!
Texaggie7nine
Is it a quint?
7nine
jetch17
AG
Haven't had it, just know their riffing off the '5' theme
schmendeler
AG
i really hope they have a beer that tastes like crushed up aspirins and pine needles. that's how i know that i'm a craft beer lover, and manly man.
The Milkman
AG
What's the new one that's opening soon (or maybe has already) over by B&B Butcher? Next to where taco deli will be I think
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Currently serving a Porter, Extra Pale Ale, and American Pale Ale.
Echoes97
AG
The Milkman said:

What's the new one that's opening soon (or maybe has already) over by B&B Butcher? Next to where taco deli will be I think

That's Platypus Brewing, they're soft opening today from 3-midnight actually.
Us And Them - The Pink Floyd Experience
http://www.usandthemband.net
Satellite of Love
So you don't like real beer? We understand.
Ragoo
AG
jetch17 said:

The QUINT!
had it last night, solid meh.
jetch17
AG
Good to know
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Y'all should run over to Brookshire and check out Baa Baa Brewhouse.
Skinny Wrinkles
AG
Wish him luck but man it feels like there are a ton of breweries in Houston now.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Saw this article on Eureka Heights page the other day

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/retail/article/Beer-boom-Houston-opens-five-breweries-in-three-9517756.php?t=a037146043438d9cbb&cmpid=twitter-premium#photo-11217082

I think we are no where near saturation.
CW Griswold
schmendeler said:

i really hope they have a beer that tastes like crushed up aspirins and pine needles. that's how i know that i'm a craft beer lover, and manly man.

It's not truly craft beer unless I think I'm drinking a Christmas candle.
CheeseSndwch
Hours:

Sun: Closed
Mon: Closed
Tues: Closed
Wed: Closed
Thurs: Closed
Fri: Closed
Sat: Closed

They should really update their website.
cypress-ag
AG
I'm all for trying out new places but if you're going to take all the time to open a business and get the financing in order, hire the right people..how do you put out a website that is incomplete. I looked at both Sigma and Baa Baa Brewhouse and they are both lacking information. Have a working website if you're going to have one....
Texaggie7nine
I think for breweries you aren't that overly concerned about getting people to your actual business as you are getting your beer out to bars for people to try.
7nine
cypress-ag
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

I think for breweries you aren't that overly concerned about getting people to your actual business as you are getting your beer out to bars for people to try.
That makes sense but if you can put up a page about how a food truck needs to meet health regulations in Brookshire, you can't "tell your story" or meet the owners...etc. I'd say go straight out and use social media instead until you have a website that is complete. Use Facebook and Twitter. That's just my two cents..that being said I want to try both places out.
62strat
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

I don't think this is true at all.. many breweries are now doing the strict tap room model, for example grapevine. Their profit margin is way higher, and it's hard fighting for taps all over town.

JAggie2007
AG
CheeseSndwch said:

Hours:

Sun: Closed
Mon: Closed
Tues: Closed
Wed: Closed
Thurs: Closed
Fri: Closed
Sat: Closed

They should really update their website.
Website has been updated. They had a packed house Friday night and had a good crowd when I stopped by Saturday afternoon. They had special hours for opening weekend so I think that might have been part of the reason for the delay in updating the hours on the website.

BBRex
AG
I was there briefly on Saturday. I had my two Dachshunds with me, so we were patio only. The beer I had was good, but I heard the music was a bit loud inside. Went to Platypus from there and liked their offerings a lot, too.

Anyway, it is difficult to say we are near saturation when the interest in these openings is so high.
Texan_Aggie
AG
Went to the opening Friday night. I cried a little on the inside as it made me think the Houston craft beer scene has jumped the shark.

Don't plan to go back.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Texan_Aggie said:

Went to the opening Friday night. I cried a little on the inside as it made me think the Houston craft beer scene has jumped the shark.

Don't plan to go back.

How so?
swimmerbabe11
Have any of you been to Eureka?
Is it good?
I hadn't ever heard of it til I walked by the other day.
captkirk
AG
schmendeler said:

Lol
aggiemike02
AG
Texan_Aggie said:

Don't plan to go back.
we went Saturday night. i didn't cry at all and will probably go back.
Texan_Aggie
AG
It seemed like the concept or execution of concept was not fully developed. I am not a beer snob by any means, but the selection was minimal and the quality of it was average (nothing special). With the market becoming more saturated, it's hard for me to get into new breweries especially if they merely are making the same thing that the big guys do.
runontexas
AG
too many breweries to count now.

Under the radar
Eureka Heights
St As
no label
platypus
Texian
Spindletap
Lone pint
8th wonder
Buffalo Bayou
Karbach
..Back Pew
...Brash Brewing
....Eleven Below
.....Town in City
......B52
.......Southern Star
........Galveston Island Brew
.........Texas Beer Refinery
..........Bakfish
...........Fire Ant
............Saloon Door
.............Fetching Lab
Now Sigma Delta Pi?

Yikes!!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.