Houston
Sponsored by

UH vs UCONN

5,769 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ChipFTAC01
Texaggie7nine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Game is tomorrow night and super cheap tix are still available on secondary market.

Who's goin?
7nine
aTm2004
AG
Everybody is pumped up for the BDF matchup that night...Rockin Chocking Jayhawks vs the "I hope this is temporary" Texas Tech Sandfleas.
WES2006AG
AG
UH didn't sell out a HOME conference championship game last year. Houston doesn't care about UH football no matter how much coog alumni wish they would.
Texaggie7nine
Yeah, well good luck trying to find a ticket for the Thursday night UH vs Louisville game in Nov for less than $100. And that's just for standing room only.
7nine
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
79 brought jokes today

David_Puddy
AG
A coworker offered me a ticket to the UH vs. Louisville game for free. Not gonna lie, kinda excited about that one. Planning on taking a half day to get some good tailgating in.
bigjag19
AG
I will be there.
Jack Cheese
AG
quote:
79 brought jokes today

Quite the gif you got there.
yestoast
Eh, if I still worked downtown/near there I'd knock off early to go tailgate.

I can drink beer in a parking lot and watch football/people talk about football without giving a damn about the team just fine.
Texaggie7nine
I'll be tailgating and going to the game. Front row uppers for $12 suits me just fine
7nine
drumboy
AG
quote:
I'll be tailgating and going to the game. Front row uppers for $12 suits me just fine
Where'd you find those? I saw some like that on CL last night, I think, off of 59.
Texaggie7nine
Um. Seatgeek is full of under $20 tickets all over the stadium
7nine
Ag_07
AG
Someone please inform me as to why this game is a big deal? Is UCONN even any good?
Scientific
AG
quote:
UH didn't sell out a HOME conference championship game last year. Houston doesn't care about UH football no matter how much coog alumni wish they would.

Its really a Houston thing. THE only hot ticket is the Texans. Rockets may sell out, but a 1/4 of the stands are empty. The Astros see as many of the rival fans show up at the stands.

We just really suck as a sports town outside of pro football.
Scientific
AG
HBCanine08
AG
quote:
Someone please inform me as to why this game is a big deal? Is UCONN even any good?
They're the only team that beat them last year I think.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
quote:
Big deals usually dont have cheap tickets

quote:
super cheap tix are still available on secondary market.
WES2006AG
AG
quote:
quote:

Its really a Houston thing. THE only hot ticket is the Texans. Rockets may sell out, but a 1/4 of the stands are empty. The Astros see as many of the rival fans show up at the stands.

We just really suck as a sports town outside of pro football.
I hate that this is true but I have to agree. Houston is an average sports city at best. The Texans are king, then college football (other than the coogs of course) but even that is a distant 2nd.

I have noticed being a Rockets season ticket holder that in the NBA game attendance is really based on the opponent. TC will be full for big match ups with other NBA superstars and at least a quarter empty for the bottom feeder teams.
Ag_07
AG
But I think all NBA and MLB games are like that in most cities. I doubt the Mavs sell out unless it's a marquee opponent. Only places that sell out baseball games are places like Wrigley, Yankee Srtadium and Fenway. Overall attendance is weak in MLB.

Football reigns everywhere, not just Houston.
bigjag19
AG
I'll be in my usual prime location.
Liquid Wrench
quote:

Which sorority were you in?
Velvet Jones
AG
quote:
But I think all NBA and MLB games are like that in most cities. I doubt the Mavs sell out unless it's a marquee opponent. Only places that sell out baseball games are places like Wrigley, Yankee Srtadium and Fenway. Overall attendance is weak in MLB.

Football reigns everywhere, not just Houston.
2016 YTD MLD Attendance

Ag_07
AG
Alright...

Just something wrong with fans getting amped up to play a 500 team and being 24 point favorites.

They're acting like this is their toughest game yet.

Oh wait...
P.H. Dexippus
AG
quote:
I hate that this is true but I have to agree. Houston is an average sports city at best.
I think that is in large part because the average sports fan in this town with disposable income spends their sports ticket dollar in College Station or Austin, or on a substitute like a big screen. Pro sports frankly appeal the most to folks that don't have a strong collegiate sports alma mater or blue collar. The reason the Texans have a strong following in this town is blue collar Hispanic fans without a college degree. Flame away.
Liquid Wrench
UH fans are pumped up (or should be) because every single game matters for their goals this year. They want to be undefeated going into the Louisville game and get their hopes up as high as they'll go for getting into the Big XII and keeping Herman. I mean, they'll probably have their souls crushed when it's all said and done, but this is a great time for longtime Coogs. My dad and the other old dudes haven't been this excited since Andre Ware.

For anybody else...it's college football and no one else is playing tonight. The UH stadium is actually a nice place to watch football if you haven't been and it's a cheap ticket compared to what we're used to.

But hell, I'd even go to an HBU game if I can talk anyone into going with me. I just like foobaw.
Jaydoug
AG
I agree. I watched HBU beat Texas Southern and it was a fun game.
K Bo
AG
Those unis
Liquid Wrench

quote:
The reason the Texans have a strong following in this town is blue collar Hispanic fans without a college degree.
I'd expand that out to transplants in general. There's a high percentage of sports fans in this city who have no historic/personal attachment to local teams. They'll go to an Astros game if there's a big opponent in town, but in the NFL almost every game is a "big" opponent. Plus the Texans, for whatever reason, have done a much better job than the Rockets or Stros of marketing themselves as the "hometown" team. The Texans are the local team that transplants get into and claim as their own, maybe in part because there's not much history to talk about, so newcomers don't get shut out of the conversation.

And the tailgating just makes it into a big social scene that doesn't translate to the other sports.
The Milkman
AG
I'd love to find a cheap ticket to the UH vs Louisville game. Even as a single bc I have no one to go with. A bunch of my friends will be tailgating but they have season tickets together. I'd like to drink with them all afternoon and still get into the stadium.

Cheapest on stubhub now is $92
Jaydoug
AG
One handed catch in end zone was nice.
Texaggie7nine
quote:
I'll be in my usual prime location.
Where you running chains? I couldn't pick you out.
7nine
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
HBU Huskie grad here
LostInLA07
AG
Their turnout was pathetic for being "pumped"
aTm2004
AG
quote:
Perfect fit for the BDF. I mean, did you see how pumped the tards were against perennial powerhouse Kansas?
Texaggie7nine
quote:
2nd largest crowd in their new stadium to date.
7nine
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.