Houston
Sponsored by

Indian Food

7,656 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by aggie7911
CDUB98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Is there something about yogurt, cinnamon, cumin, ginger, paprika or cardamom or whatever that jacks people up?
Probably.

I had zero issues during my time in India.

But, ya gotta admit, ANY buffet is playing Russian Roulette with your bowels.
HBCanine08
AG
quote:
http://theheightslifehouston.blogspot.com/2016/09/the-post-youve-all-been-waiting-for.html?m=1
That hurts to read. Not because of the food, but whoever wrote should stick to twitter.
drumboy
AG
quote:
quote:
http://theheightslifehouston.blogspot.com/2016/09/the-post-youve-all-been-waiting-for.html?m=1
That hurts to read. Not because of the food, but whoever wrote should stick to twitter.
Don't get me wrong, I like Indian food just as much as say whatever the authentic Chinese food is called, but the idiots on FB/Twitter that are always whining about how the Heights needs an Indian restaurant are annoying.

I'm more excited about Kings Beergarden adding another option (other being Hughies) where I can take my kids and get turnt.
The Milkman
AG
quote:
Indian Bhuna, Curry, Vindaloo, and Biryani are all delicious with no coconut.
quote:
Can't go wrong with tikka masala or jalfrezi. Probably gonna want to get some samosas, maybe some naan.

So which of these are going to be pretty spicy? As someone else said Indian food uses a ton of yogurt, cinnamon, cumin, ginger, paprika and cardamom. None of which are spicy.

I generally avoid dishes that have much sweetness to them unless its dessert.
swimmerbabe11
I know it's not authentic, but the fisherman's curry at queen vic is amazing.
swimmerbabe11
paprika and ginger when used in a certain way can both give a spice. Paprika has a whole range of spice to it.
The Milkman
AG
quote:
paprika and ginger when used in a certain way can both give a spice. Paprika has a whole range of spice to it.
Hmm if you say so. I've never felt any kind of spice from paprika before, but then again I've never done much indian food. I always just thought of paprika as very flavorful, but not necessarily a spice like a hot pepper with a burn
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
They should name the Chicken Tikka from Red Lion should be named after the bar, it comes out roaring like a lion. .
Aggie1806
AG
Why yes, I've seen many, many fat Indians. You serious, Clark?
Ag_07
AG
Just reading through this thread got me like...

CDUB98
AG
quote:
They should name the Chicken Tikka from Red Lion should be named after the bar, it comes out roaring like a lion. .
The Milkman
AG
After chatting with my friend in the office who is married to an indian guy, she tells me to avoid north indian food as their dishes are primarily sweet. South indian is much heavier spice
Diggity
AG
south Indian is also primarily vegetarian
The Milkman
AG
Well this offers a whole new problem!
Diggity
AG
just go try London Sizzler at 59 and Hillcroft and tell them you want them to make it spicy.

It's British style Indian but I've never taken anyone there that didn't enjoy it.
cosc11
AG
So who was the Ag that went for lunch today? Thoughts? My buddie was so happy that an aggie came after I showed him this thread.
Texaggie7nine
Cuz we all know all the aggies in Houston are accounted for on the houston board.
7nine
lancevance
So why is it Indian and European food? What's the connection between the two?
drumboy
AG
quote:
So why is it Indian and European food? What's the connection between the two?

Colonialism
cosc11
AG
The original restaurant was started in Finland.
BadAzzBohemian
AG
I have been to the lunch buffet 2X. I have eaten at about 10-15 different Indian restaurants.

I am very open minded... but would have to say the buffet is below average at best. Both times, there were only a few people eating there.

If others like it, to each their own... but my personal opinion is that this place needs a do over on recipes (unless the dinner menu is significantly different).

Everything tastes Americanized... I don't taste much in the line of Indian spices... and every dish just generally tastes the same. There is just nothing special or memorable about the food.

I truly hope the restaurant is doing well for your buddy's sake, but wanted to provide some honest feedback that may be helpful.

I will say that the two waitstaff that I interacted with were very nice.
tmaggies
AG
What would a Bohemian know about Indian food? Better stick to Pilsner beer, kolach and sausage!!
BadAzzBohemian
AG
tmaggies said:

What would a Bohemian know about Indian food? Better stick to Pilsner beer, kolach and sausage!!

That is a valid point!
tmaggies
AG
All the way from Frydek......Got Pivo?? Haha!
BadAzzBohemian
AG
Haha. You must know my identity if you are throwing down words like pivo and Frydek.
tmaggies
AG
No idea but a real Bohemian would know about the two. Frydek is home for me.......
BadAzzBohemian
AG
Well... since I too was part of the Frydek community in the past...there is a 99.99% chance we know each other.
aggie7911
Yaal tiffins
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.