Houston
Sponsored by

Indian Food

7,657 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by aggie7911
cosc11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
To anybody on the west side, I have a buddy that just opened up his restaurant. The name is Amar Indian & European and it's located just north of 10 off of Barker Cypress. They have a buffet for lunch and a la carte for dinner so give it a try if you're in the mood for Indian. We took a couple people that had never tried Indian on their opening night and they all loved it and said they would be back.
HBCanine08
AG
the pics on yelp look good. Will have to check it out.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Halal or nah?
Diggity
AG
Halnah
Theblondewonder
AG
Indian is one of my favorite foods and we live close by. Will definitely check it out.
cosc11
AG
Just got done with the lunch buffet and asked him while I was here. He said they don't advertise as halal but the vendors they use are halal suppliers.
NC2001
AG
Going to have to check this place out!
BadAzzBohemian
AG
Ate right across the street at Zydeco today and saw it on the way out.

Will definitely give it a shot.
FW Declerk
/revision/latest?cb=20110429224415

Is this your friend?
Al Bula
AG
quote:

Is this your friend?
not an Indian. Babu was Paki.
FW Declerk
quote:
quote:

Is this your friend?
right but wasn't the name of the cafe the world cafe Indian and European food?
sts7049
AG
will definitely give it a shot. need a good Indian delivery option close by.
The Milkman
AG
What are some good Indian dishes to try? Every time I have tried Indian food I have hated it because it's all been very heavy on coconut flavor.

I like spicy food though so I'm sure there's a lot I'm missing. And spicy as in burning heat, not just a lot of spices and herbs that aren't necessarily spicy.
BadAzzBohemian
AG
quote:
What are some good Indian dishes to try? Every time I have tried Indian food I have hated it because it's all been very heavy on coconut flavor.

I like spicy food though so I'm sure there's a lot I'm missing. And spicy as in burning heat, not just a lot of spices and herbs that aren't necessarily spicy.

I have eaten at dozens of Indian places and have never had anything with coconut.

Thai Curry's - yes, very heavy on coconut milk.

Indian Bhuna, Curry, Vindaloo, and Biryani are all delicious with no coconut.
Buck Nasty
AG
Can't go wrong with tikka masala or jalfrezi. Probably gonna want to get some samosas, maybe some naan.
Cyprian
FtBendTxAg
AG
When I go to Indian, my plate consists of mostly saag paneer, then everything else
FNG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Is this your friend?
right but wasn't the name of the cafe the world cafe Indian and European food?

Dream Cafe
BarryProfit
http://theheightslifehouston.blogspot.com/2016/09/the-post-youve-all-been-waiting-for.html?m=1
CDUB98
AG
My former Project Manager (retired) said the only place in Houston where he's gotten close to real Indian food was a place on Westheimer called Indika.

He was originally from Mumbai.

When I was in India in January, I had some outstanding food. I admit that by the end of my time, I was ready for good ol' American beef and something that didn't taste like tumeric, fenugreek, and corriander, but after having that good stuff, and based on my former manager's comments, I'm somewhat skeptical of Indian cuisine here in the 'tine.
CDUB98
AG
I also never get a chance to go and try places for myself as my wife won't eat anything outside of American, Tex-Mex, or Italian.
Diggity
AG
The lady that runs Indika has a more casual concept at Kirby and Westheimer called Pondicheri.
Aggie09Derek
AG
My old coworker from Indian (had Mexican food with him yesterday actually) loves London Sizzler as well as a handful of other Indian places. He does like Indika, but says it's not worth the price tag.
CDUB98
AG
Thanks. I may need to take a trip down there one day and try it by myself.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Been wanting to try that, The Chron always rates it insanely high (top 5-10 in the city).
HtownAg92
AG
London Sizzler, Great W'Kana and Shri Balaji Bhavan are also legit Indian options. The last one is vegetarian and counter service. Tell the lady you don't know what you are doing and let her order for you. Fantastic.

I will admit, though, to having an experience similar to this once or twice after eating there.

GoAgs92
AG
At least sprinkle in a few 3 and 4 star Yelp reviews if you're padding the stats.

amateurs.

how much is the buffet i couldn't find the price on the site.
Al Bula
AG
quote:
When I was in India in January, I had some outstanding food. I admit that by the end of my time, I was ready for good ol' American beef and something that didn't taste like tumeric, fenugreek, and corriander, but after having that good stuff, and based on my former manager's comments, I'm somewhat skeptical of Indian cuisine here in the 'tine.
Agree 100%. Had Indian a few times in Houston and it was all crap compared to India.

Indian food IN India = pretty damn good. I know that is true to a certain extent for native foods in native countries.

I have no desire to eat Indian cuisine in Houston again.
cosc11
AG
I'm pretty sure the lunch buffet is $12.95. It's a great way to be able to try and bunch of their different offerings. They change it up daily.
Texaggie7nine
Had Indika for HRW with someone who has been to India and they said it was pretty much on the same level. Also a coworker who is from India says the same.

I however learned I do not like authentic indian food as much as I do more americanized versions.
7nine
GoAgs92
AG
quote:
I'm pretty sure the lunch buffet is $12.95. It's a great way to be able to try and bunch of their different offerings. They change it up daily.

The current buffet menu listed is from tuesday, you should let your friend know to update it, especially on Fridays.

Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Indika is awesome.
Richard Trickle
AG
Ate at Amar the other night. The garlic chicken was delicious.
2ndChanceAg96
AG
My stomach just rumbled(not in a good way) just thinking about an Indian food buffet. I can already feel the runs coming on!!!!

I love Indian food btw!
drumboy
AG
Why do people associate Indian food with the shlts? It's not particularly greasy and made with healthy stuff or is it just to make fun of the food? Have you ever seen a fat Indian person?

Is there something about yogurt, cinnamon, cumin, ginger, paprika or cardamom or whatever that jacks people up?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.