Houston
Sponsored by

Katy National little league

4,663 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 86 Tex Ag
rob12san
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My son plays in Fairfield baseball, but i was looking for something more competitive without having to commit to a select team. He will be playing with the 9-10 year olds. We are zoned to Katy National. Anyone play there or have an opinion.
GoAgs92
AG
you could try a hybrid solution.

a few select teams play in the open LL division in the fall, this way you get a taste of Select at the price of LL.

you don't have to play in KNLL if you go that route since it's open division you could play in KALL as well or whichever league you want. Sometimes the KNLL teams and KALL teams play each other in the fall due to the leagues not having enough teams.

I know a guy who needs players for a hybrid team.

Alpine
AG
I would try Katy Pony over KNLL.
RebelE91
AG
Listen to Alpine. Katy Pony is more competitive than KNLL.
Mack Brown on a Mobile
AG
Katy National LL is not a very competitive league. I just say that from playing against their all-star teams in District play on numerous occassions and they were never very good.
Bayou City
Dang, when did KNLL fall off? We had 4-5 players that ended up playing D1. We played Bear Creek almost every year for District.
rob12san
AG
For those thst play Katy Pony, do you play regular league or open league? Also i live in Cypress,Bridgeland, I am zoned for Katy national but cannot find any info on zones for any Pony leagues.
AgCPA95
AG
quote:
For those thst play Katy Pony, do you play regular league or open league? Also i live in Cypress,Bridgeland, I am zoned for Katy national but cannot find any info on zones for any Pony leagues.
Both my boys have played the last 2 year in Katy Pony in the regular league. I may be ignorant to this but I don't remember anything ever being noted on living in a particular zone to be able to play. We are in far SW Cinco Ranch but seem to have kids from all over the Katy area.
MAROON
AG
quote:
Dang, when did KNLL fall off? We had 4-5 players that ended up playing D1. We played Bear Creek almost every year for District.
that had to be years ago - Post Oak/Bellaire/West U rule the roost now.

First Colony was the king when we first got started in LL, but that league is slowly dwindling.
Bayou City
Our son will be in Post Oak Pony
MAROON
AG
no such thing
Bayou City
Post Oak LL - The one off Augusta.
MAROON
AG
Yep. I was just commenting that there is no such thing as Post Oak Pony. Good league. Make sure and pack a solo cup for the games
jakelew04
AG
Westbury LL any good?

Signed my son up for tee ball this fall.
john2002ag
We have done westbury ll and it is fine for tball. Once you move up you just have to know what you are signing up for. We have been in machine pitch for the past couple of years and it is a mixed population. Every team will have 3-4 kids that can catch and throw and then everyone other kid it takes a small miracle for a field and throw to result in an out.

I coached all-stars this year. We were usually second bestin each tournament as we couldn't beat the Pearlands and Bellaires of the world, but beat everyone else. it was clear that those teams know baseball and our kids play baseball. We talked to their coaches and their machine pitch team plays year round and the kids have set positions for the most part. It is just a different world. Not one I am interested in for my eight year old so Westbury is fine for us at this age.
Mack Brown on a Mobile
AG
Unless, Westbury has changed, it is still a very solid league. Our son played there and we had a select team that played somewhat "year round". Our all-star teams were always competitive, but First Colony did rule the roost. The District (DIstrict 16) seems to have changed with Missouri City not being very good and First Colony being a shadow. Post Oak, West U, and Bellaire the best (and also the bigger leagues). We had a great group of parents at Westbury and really loved our 8 years there. Then our son went on to play at Kyle Champman Pony (another good league) and then on to play at Bellaire. Most of the kids he played with at Westbury on the select team went on to play HS baseball somewhere.

Bear Creek, the Katy Litle Leagues, MALL, Neartown, West Oaks, Bayland were all in the bottom half of the district when it came to tournament teams.
GoAgs92
AG
the Katy LL teams are no good because all the good players move to select ball at around 8/9.

Sounds like the pearland and bellaire rig their drafts so that the good players play together all year....amazing how many coaches kids make all star.

RM1993
AG
I know you said you weren't wanting to make the select commitment yet, but if you think your son would ever like to play select ball you should seriously consider making the move now. Once he is 11 or 12 it will be extremely difficult for him to make a select team (a good one anyway) without having that prior experience.

You can find plenty of select teams that won't have a big cost commitment and will play most or all of their tournaments in Katy or very close by. Plus, fall is a good time to get onto a team when many are short players.
Mack Brown on a Mobile
AG
And I would say pick your team carefully because I can't tell you how many kids since select ball has gotten going that are burnt out by 16. Let them play a bunch of sports.
86 Tex Ag
AG
Maroon is spot on about Post Oak LL. A white styrofoam cup, with lid and straw, and filled with an adult beverage is almost mandatory for the parents in that league. Half of them seem to be hammered by the 4th inning of little Johnny's game. The kid has to ride home in mom's Range Rover, as we cannot get the trunk of the Tesla soiled with baseball dirt or sunflower seeds.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.