Houston
Sponsored by

Help Finding Divorce Attorney

5,393 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jja79
BigData93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does anyone have good recommendations? A young child is involved. The wife had an affair and moved out immediately upon being caught. The father is a great dad. Could get ugly, but hoping for the best. Family is in The Woodlands/Conroe area. Thanks.

shihitemuslim
AG
Todd Frankfort is who I was told is really good by other attorney friends:

http://www.flowersfrankfort.com/attorneys/tfrankfort.html
Tom Hagen
AG
It sucks that the wife gets a dime in that scenario.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Is there a pic of the wife?
combat wombat™
AG
She'll probably get the kid, too.
BillYeoman
The wife moved out? Tell your friend to make sure the kid stays at home with him.

Her erratic behavior doesn't mean he and child need to compromise with her decisions until AFTER the divorce.

CrossBowAg99
AG
Amy Montgomery

281-378-3637

Good with kid issues. Offices in the woodlands
TXTransplant
Just FYI...any attorney your friend consults with about the case, even if he doesn't hire them, cannot represent his soon to be ex.
3rdGenAg05
AG
what are you implying?

He can't consult with every lawyer in town and consults aren't free (for a good lawyer).
TXTransplant
quote:
what are you implying?

He can't consult with every lawyer in town and consults aren't free (for a good lawyer).

No, you can't consult with every lawyer in town; I'm not suggesting that. But, he also shouldn't feel obligated to hire the first lawyer he consults with just because that person came with a recommendation and/or has a certain reputation.

If you've been though a divorce and/or custody settlement, you learn that certain attorneys have very aggressive reputations. It's probably worth it to meet with at least one who falls into that category. Even if it's not a good match for him, at least he doesn't have to worry about seeing them again in court.

My point is, he shouldn't feel pressured to hire the first attorney he consults with, if it's not a good fit. And assuming she's in the market for an attorney as well, it's in his best interest to consult with his top recommendations ASAP.
3rdGenAg05
AG
Great advice for OP's friend.
BigData93
AG
Thanks for the recommendations! The child is being swapped weekly between parents right now. Not sure if that is good/bad.
aggiedent
AG
I just have to say, I find it funny that armed with but a few details from a second hand source, some folks are passing judgement as if they knew every single thing about this marriage.

Remember the words due process?

Unemployed
AG
quote:
I just have to say, I find it funny that armed with but a few details from a second hand source, some folks are passing judgement as if they knew every single thing about this marriage.

No crime has been committed so fk due process. I will take OP's words as truth and believe that the wife is a cheating wh0re.
CrossBowAg99
AG
quote:

For once I agree with dent

The dude probably stuck it in her butt and she decided to cheat with someone that wouldn't do that

TXTransplant
quote:
Thanks for the recommendations! The child is being swapped weekly between parents right now. Not sure if that is good/bad.

Custody and visitation is never easy, but I am a firm believer that 50/50 (or something close to it) is the best arrangement in the long term. The most common alternative is that one parent (usually the dad) sees the kid one night a week and every other weekend. I just don't think that seeing your kid 7-8 nights a month is enough.
mm98
AG
quote:
quote:

Custody and visitation is never easy, but I am a firm believer that 50/50 (or something close to it) is the best arrangement in the long term. The most common alternative is that one parent (usually the dad) sees the kid one night a week and every other weekend. I just don't think that seeing your kid 7-8 nights a month is enough.

I have a good friend who has remarried and she and her ex both agreed to 50/50.

One take the son for 4 days, the other for 3 days, the it flips the next week.

I think it's been very good for the child to have that balance and consistency. Granted neither are BSC. Just weren't meant for each other.
swimmerbabe11
quote:
quote:

Week on/week off is great. The 4/3 swap in the other post about this is also good.

The one night a week thing is pretty awful..logistics nightmare for the kid and really disrupting to the school week.
Cromagnum
AG
I suggest no nights any week for the cheating hoar and she and the new peen can pay child support.
HBCanine08
AG
http://www.nicewonderlawgroup.com
swimmerbabe11
quote:
I suggest no nights any week for the cheating hoar and she and the new peen can pay child support.

That's ****ing stupid.

Custody arrangements are about the welfare of the child, not about revenge. Grow up.
Unemployed
AG
quote:
quote:

That's ****ing stupid.

Custody arrangements are about the welfare of the child, not about revenge. Grow up.
LOL...you're so naive.
TXTransplant
Family court judges really don't like it anymore when one parent comes in with a very one-sided custody/child support demand simply to punish the other parent for being a bad spouse. It's called parental alienation, and it's terrible for the kids.

That strategy would likely backfire on the OP's friend, and I would run very far away from any attorney who went along with it.
swimmerbabe11
quote:
quote:
quote:

That's ****ing stupid.

LOL...you're so naive.

My bad "custody arrangements *should* be about the welfare of the child, not about revenge. People who operate otherwise should not be so selfish and should grow up."
/child of divorce
BillYeoman
quote:
Family court judges really don't like it anymore when one parent comes in with a very one-sided custody/child support demand simply to punish the other parent for being a bad spouse. It's called parental alienation, and it's terrible for the kids.

That strategy would likely backfire on the OP's friend, and I would run very far away from any attorney who went along with it.

Agree with this. Good insight. OP's friend needs to be the "stable one" for the child sake. Although very difficult with raw emotion involved. Get an attorney, go for primary and no less than 50/50 split with no child support. Since the wife moved out I would ask attorney to file for temporary orders outlining visitation since the wife left the child. Get a structure in place for the best interest of the child. Also, seek co-parenting counseling wth wife who left....and document.

The whole situation sucks but will be in child's best interest (and the OP's friend) if the wife who left her child and husband gets the false idea that she "deserves" primary since she is "the mom" and takes it out of mediation and sets a court date.
Guitarsoup
AG
A friend of mine got sole custody of one child and joint of the other two. Since he has sole, court ordered the mom to pay child support, which she refuses to do. He has to carry the judgement documents on him at all times because he has had officers show up to arrest him for failure to pay child support so many times, when he is actually owed tens of thousands in child support.
88jrt06
AG
quote:
Does anyone have good recommendations? A young child is involved. The wife had an affair and moved out immediately upon being caught. The father is a great dad. Could get ugly, but hoping for the best. Family is in The Woodlands/Conroe area. Thanks.

Swear. You need a female att'y based in Montrose.
Because you want the wrath of God on your side.
A ruthless woman will fight for you!
Btw, one of the best and brightest....

Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
A friend of mine got sole custody of one child and joint of the other two. Since he has sole, court ordered the mom to pay child support, which she refuses to do. He has to carry the judgement documents on him at all times because he has had officers show up to arrest him for failure to pay child support so many times, when he is actually owed tens of thousands in child support.

That's messed up. Why would the cops show up to arrest him? Just on the ex-wife's word??
BMX Bandit
quote:
quote:

Swear. You need a female att'y based in Montrose.
Because you want the wrath of God on your side.
A ruthless woman will fight for you!
Btw, one of the best and brightest....

Interesting quote
htownag10
AG
Tell him to keep all the proof he has of the affair. That'll help his court case. It helped my friend a lot when he went through his divorce.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
quote:

That's messed up. Why would the cops show up to arrest him? Just on the ex-wife's word??
No clue. He keeps getting put on the deadbeat dad list, even though he is owed the money.

CPS officers have even argued with him that dads pay child support, not moms.
Cromagnum
AG
quote:
quote:

That's ****ing stupid.

Who said anything about revenge? I dont think a kid should be raised by someone who is a cheating ass.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Sounds like he needs to get an attorney and sue CPS and the wife for defamation.
TXTransplant
quote:
quote:
quote:

No clue. He keeps getting put on the deadbeat dad list, even though he is owed the money.

CPS officers have even argued with him that dads pay child support, not moms.

Is your friend in Texas? I'm not doubting he told you this, but child support enforcement in TX is done by the Attorney General's office. CPS has absolutely nothing to do with child support. They investigate for neglect and/or abuse and have no authority when it comes to non-payment of child support. Law enforcement doesn't just show up at someone's house threatening to arrest them for alleged non-payment of child support, either. A judge has to sentence the non-paying parent to jail, usually after months of alternative attempts at collection (i.e., wage garnishment, filing liens, suspending licenses, and issuing a lawsuit in court).
BigPuma
AG
quote:
quote:

For once I agree with dent

The dude probably stuck it in her butt and she decided to cheat with someone that wouldn't do that
or vice versa
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.