Houston
Sponsored by

KYF - Katy Youth Football

5,071 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Furlock Bones
Seamaster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We're first timers to the KYF league this year and I was curious...

Is KYF an "everybody gets a trophy league?"
Diggity
AG
IDK, but I anchored the front line that led the Steelers to their first Turf Bowl at Rhodes Stadium back in '87.
MelvinUdall
quote:

My daughter cheered out there for 2 seasons and it by far the craziest experience I have ever been a part of. We saw the cops called twice due to parents fighting and one time the ref was about to get his ass kicked. In addition we saw multiple parents all but beat the crap out of their kids because of poor play. Mind you all of this occurred with kids that were 7,8,9 years old. Pretty embarrassing to watch as a parent.
chimpanzee
quote:
quote:

My daughter cheered out there for 2 seasons and it by far the craziest experience I have ever been a part of. We saw the cops called twice due to parents fighting and one time the ref was about to get his ass kicked. In addition we saw multiple parents all but beat the crap out of their kids because of poor play. Mind you all of this occurred with kids that were 7,8,9 years old. Pretty embarrassing to watch as a parent.

Getting a couple dozen grade schoolers to do anything resembling a coordinated effort must be a frustrating experience, but yeah, youth football coaches (and parents) see berating children as a best practice, pretty much always have.

It is embarrassing, but I lived through much the same 30 years ago. These sociological oddities probably don't do lasting damage, unless you count the smell of dew on grass in August initiating fits of involuntary burpees while crying.

That was an awkward company picnic.
MelvinUdall
I grew up playing youth sports, then on into HS and for a bit in college, I can tell you I never saw anything like what I saw out there. Truly unbelievable.
Bayou City
Multiple time turf bowl champ for the Nottinghamd Country Steelers. Took the title from the Bears, then had to get my Boy Scout arrow of light the same day.

Followed it up with back to back to back turf bowl champs for the steelers. I don't think that team lost a game once we hit tackle.

We always played the Bears or Cowboys in the turf bowl. Those Brookshire kids were animals! Them and the group that fed into McDonald Middle were always good.

KYF.....
Seamaster
AG
To the original question.....

is it 'everybody gets a trophy?'

#GoSaints
Bayou City
Not really. They have playoffs each year with the "turf bowl" being the Super Bowl. Those teams get an on field award ceremony and the whole 9. They announce the all-stars during halftime, too IIRC. Everyone gets a "team trophy" at the end of the year, and it's more competitive than most leagues at that age. I think they actually draft now vs. going by basically the elementary school lines.
jobu93
AG
I played for the coach for whom the Turf Bowl is named after, Mr. Art Overturf.

Hell of a man.
Bayou City
I though it was named the turf bowl because it is played on Astro-turf. Maybe a troll attempt, but I don't want to speak somebody I don't know.

Note: We lived in Katy since Taylor was built and you could shoot an 8 point out your window eating the different tree saplings. Beck when Cinco was going to be a bust, and 99 was the middle of nowhere. It actually didn't exist and you'd take fry or mason all the way to 1464. 1464 had one red light and one blinking light where the Rinker concrete facility popped up in the mid 90's.

People never believe me that we used to play paintball and shoot 22's around mason creek.
MelvinUdall
quote:
I though it was named the turf bowl because it is played on Astro-turf. Maybe a troll attempt, but I don't want to speak somebody I don't know.

Note: We lived in Katy since Taylor was built and you could shoot an 8 point out your window eating the different tree saplings. Beck when Cinco was going to be a bust, and 99 was the middle of nowhere. It actually didn't exist and you'd take fry or mason all the way to 1464. 1464 had one red light and one blinking light where the Rinker concrete facility popped up in the mid 90's.

People never believe me that we used to play paintball and shoot 22's around mason creek.

I remember as a kid when the Equestrian center was built and mason rd dead end and you had to drive down a dirt road just to get to it.
Bayou City
+1

Good times.
jobu93
AG
LOL. We got to Katy (Mason Rd) back in 75. It was a dead end right after Park Tree. Mason was once a two lane road. Went to West Memorial Elementary for a bit before Memorial Parkway ele. Was opened. Taylor wasn't built yet.

I remember countless days dirt bike riding with either a BB gun, pellet gun, or a .22 across our handlebars all just south/southwest of where we lived.

Those were some great times.
AgCPA95
AG
From what I have gathered and having boys play the last 3 or 4 years, there are 3 tackle leagues in Katy.

KYF, Katy All American, and FO1. Regardless of who you speak to, KYF is the most competitive, intense league and I've heard several stories of parents getting out of control and the cops being called like described above. We played our first couple of years in Katy All American which was relatively new but then moved our team to FO1 once KAA announced they would be coming to more of a select/draft league. The last few years KAA and FO1 have had to play each other due not having enough teams in each league.

None of the leagues are "everyone gets a trophy".
Ag_07
AG
More like 'everybody gets early onset CTE' league
bigjag19
AG
quote:
More like 'everybody gets early onset CTE' league

This.

I did watch a 6 year old in Pearland Saturday with better pursuit skills than some of our players.
cajunaggie08
AG
I've still got my KYF all-star sweater in a dresser somewhere. I was the only kid on my team that wouldn't stop going after the kid with the ball when the ref threw his flag.
Bayou City
Which team? We were the Steelers until they got split into the Steelers and Patriots. You had the option to be grandfathered and stay on the Steelers. Thats when Pattison was in the middle of nowhere.
Shooz in Katy
AG
quote:
To the original question.....

is it 'everybody gets a trophy?'

#GoSaints

Seamaster, I have two boys playing KYF for the first time. Which Saints team age group is your boy? Mine is on the 1st grader Saints - just making sure I don't already know you. Our coaches and parents are phenomenal so far. We love it.

My other boy plays for a t.u. ex frat boy megalomaniac tantrum throwing brat in the Rookie division but so far my boy really enjoys it.

On a side note, for other new KYF parents on this thread, I had both my boys at the preseason KYF camp this year and it was generally a dumpster fire. However, Reggie McNeal did provide some outstanding QB instruction.

To other parents, I would advise skipping the camp next year if you are on the fence about it - Next Level Athletics (NLA) ran the thing and the organization and safety was appalling. They literally had full contact tackling in full scrimmage the very first day in shells - helmets and shoulder pads only. My boys had literally never performed a tackle in their life and we're going full speed at each other for a full hour. The little garden gnome that runs NLA is insane.
Shooz in Katy
AG
quote:
quote:

It's sad when parents act like that and indeed embarrassing.

However, the toughness, teamwork, sacrifice, excitement youth football provides K-6 kids is one of the few arenas left not trying to turn every kid into a little snowflake. I'm all for it. We did FFP soccer and my kids hated it. KYF is the other side of the spectrum.
MelvinUdall
quote:
quote:
quote:

It's sad when parents act like that and indeed embarrassing.

However, the toughness, teamwork, sacrifice, excitement youth football provides K-6 kids is one of the few arenas left not trying to turn every kid into a little snowflake. I'm all for it. We did FFP soccer and my kids hated it. KYF is the other side of the spectrum.

I agree with you to a point, I do think that it is still over the top. This is a bit tongue in cheek, but I always thought some of these kids end up like those 5'8" cops that you see on TV that get caught on camera abusing their authority.
Furlock Bones
AG
with everything we know and more to learn about brain injuries, i'm amazed people still want their kids playing youth football.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.