Houston
Sponsored by

Uber drivers without EZ Tags

13,954 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by OnlyForNow
TP Ag '87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sure seem to be running into this a lot lately. Anyone else?

Just don't understand how Uber doesn't require this as it seems 100% of the cost would be borne by the pax. If I'm going somewhere that BW8 or 99 is a must, I've started texting the Uber driver as soon as he/she accepts the trip to ask if they have a Tag. If not, I cancel immediately.

The other night I finally gave up on the 4th try and just told the guy to go back roads rather than deal with the frontage roads of the toll road.
The Milkman
AG
Does pax stand for passenger?

Also, when an uber drives goes through a toll does that cost get passed onto the rider?
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Give them 3 stars, Uber will contact you, tell them why, if they get under a 4 star average they are off app
The Wonderer
AG
quote:

Also, when an uber drives goes through a toll does that cost get passed onto the rider?
It's an expense that they can write off their taxes.

I wonder how many of the Uber drivers understand the tax consequences of driving.
Samuel E. Cronkowitz
AG
The toll cost are added to the total fee.
drumboy
AG
Only time I ever needed to go on a toll road the driver (who was driving a beat up 10 year old Camry instead of the new Corolla Uber said he was driving) took backroads from Alief to Westchase instead of the beltway.

I can't imagine any driver being cool with eating the tolls and then writing them off next year.
ClickClack
AG
As Sam said, the passenger pays the toll (Uber in theory automatically knows the toll charges based on the route taken and adds it to the fare) and it gets reimbursed back to the driver on that fare.

It's not a tax write-off - you just get reimbursed that money. You write off your total miles for the 54 cent IRS deduction.
ClickClack
AG
quote:
quote:

I wonder how many of the Uber drivers understand the tax consequences of driving.

It's pretty simple. You file as independent contractor (so you pay your own extra share of payroll taxes), you get to write off your miles plus any other "business expenses" (like start-up costs to get licenses to operate in COH).
TP Ag '87
AG
Yes, Pax is passenger. Sorry for short hand.

I've actually had tolls updated a day later to reflect an additional $1.10 toll charge, which I GLADLY would have paid initially.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
quote:
(who was driving a beat up 10 year old Camry instead of the new Corolla Uber said he was driving)
wow. Report that immediately and maybe even call the cops. That driver will be immediately kicked off of uber. That is how kidnappings happen.
ClickClack
AG
quote:
quote:
(who was driving a beat up 10 year old Camry instead of the new Corolla Uber said he was driving)
wow. Report that immediately and maybe even call the cops. That driver will be immediately kicked off of uber. That is how kidnappings happen.

Yes, call the cops. See how that goes. The app is still tracking the driver's movements even if it's a different car than specified...

Yes, let Uber know and they will take care of that quickly though. Not to mention the ARA in the city will give a ticket if you're operating for hire and your vehicle doesn't have that pink or green sticker saying it's been inspected and licensed.
Ag_07
AG
OTBW problems
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

It's pretty simple. You file as independent contractor (so you pay your own extra share of payroll taxes), you get to write off your miles plus any other "business expenses" (like start-up costs to get licenses to operate in COH).
I understand that, but most of the Uber drivers I've encountered seem to be less than knowledgeable.
ClickClack
AG
Ok, but you used the term "consequences" as if they're going to get hit with some huge tax bill. After you deduct your miles, it's not a big deal. Filing taxes for the first time as a driver requires a little research but you end up paying less taxes for what you earn than you would a typical job. Slightly offsets the whopping $2.44 (or $2.20 if activated after September '15) a driver earns on those 2-mile trips.
htxag09
AG
Never had this issue when taking it to the airport. And as some have said, the passenger pays, not the driver. They'll usually ask me if I'm ok paying the tolls on hardy or want to take 59 or 45.

Seems when we actually go through a toll both they push something on the app to charge the toll.
ClickClack
AG
quote:
Seems when we actually go through a toll both they push something on the app to charge the toll.

No, Uber Houston has all the tolls pre-programmed and charges it automatically based on which checkpoints you pass through on any toll roads in Houston.

But I agree this issue of drivers not having a tag seems odd. Never seen that before. Makes no sense for an uber driver not to have a toll tag in Houston.
Sazerac
AG
I've never had an Uber to the airport WITH toll tag. It's ridiculous.
ClickClack
AG
You've been able to see their full windshield and verify they have no toll tag? Even behind the mirror?

Did they run into excessive traffic DUE to avoiding toll roads?

A lot of drivers probably avoid toll roads, if it doesn't add time (like taking 59) so that you and he don't have an increased fare that only goes to the HCTRA.

Now if they don't have a toll tag for sure and take a route with much more traffic because of this...then rate them low and tell uber why. But don't just assume and 1-star them. They're most likely trying to help you out.
Sazerac
AG
They will still take the tollway if you tell them too but they have to stop and pay cash. It's maybe 3 minutes during non peak time. It would be at least 20-30 during rush hour.
ClickClack
AG
Well then tip the ones that do have a tag and get you there fast.
Visor Guy
AG
No kidding, had one a few weeks back that didn't have a tag and further asked me for the best way to get to IAH without using tolls.
TP Ag '87
AG
Note to self: next time I get a driver WITH one, I'll get his # so I can ping him early for a heads-up for subsequent trips. Many have offered, just never taken them up on the offer.
drumboy
AG
quote:
quote:

I think Deandre just lied about his car cause it didn't meet Ubers requirements.
Bondag
AG
OTL problems
Post removed:
by user
TP Ag '87
AG
People who actually travel via aeroplane occasionally.
Bondag
AG
quote:
People who actually travel via aeroplane occasionally.

My car is currently parked outside an airport terminal at a rate of WGAF. #DINK
TP Ag '87
AG
#badass
chrisrrtx
AG
I've been Uber driving off and on recently to help subsidize being unemployed.

Uber does automatically charge tolls passed through. When I first started I didn't have the tag but would still pass through tolls if pax requested. I made sure to specify that it would be automatically added to their bill and ask if they wanted to take tolls or not. I would then go on HCTRA website and pay the next day for a nominal fee. I have since gotten a tag but still ask the pax if they want tolls or not and disclose added fee.

Any other uber driver questions?
TP Ag '87
AG
So, do you do that on EZ Tag only places like all of 99? If I tell the driver to do that, will they necessarily know how to back-bill me?
chrisrrtx
AG
I never stopped to pay cash at the toll booth. It's a waste of pax time and completely negates using the tolls on most places.
While it is possible to back bill for things like the added fee I never did. The fee is like $1.50 and I just ate it because I should've had the tag but didn't. And tipping usually doesn't happen in uber (no, it's not automatically built in like some rumor going around) but you could offer to tip some for the driver to take the tolls to subsidize the added fee.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Pretty sure if you are an Uber driver, your chance of audit is tiny. Just get reimbursed for the tolls and write off the tolls in addition to. Then if you do get caught use the Hillary "I had no intention of breaking the law"
Jack Cheese
AG
quote:
Then if you do get caught use the Hillary "I had no intention of breaking the law"

Or the even better defense: "some dude named Guitarsoup on texags is my tax advisor".
TP Ag '87
AG
Maybe I'll just have cash as well and tell them to blow thru the EX Tag lanes and I'll pay them to make up difference. But, are there fines for using EZT without a tag if you send in $$?
chrisrrtx
AG
Yes. But if you go online and pay before they send a statement the fines are very small as mentioned above. If you wait until a statement is sent the fines can get pretty steep
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.