Houston
Sponsored by

So 1.2 million was wasted on school name changes

4,643 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Worm01
byfLuger41
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Teddy Perkins
AG
The Dong Weighs In
schmellba99
AG
quote:
Wait till you see how much they waste on electric bills. Double to triple the usage of the worst I have ever seen anywhere. I used to go around the state and audit schools for the state and have looked at 100's of schools.

They have over 450 buildings under there control.
There electric bill was $77 million per year in 2010. I would estimate they are wasting $40+ million on electricity.
A lot of the waste is beyond stupid waste as well. In my wife's school district, the district will flat refuse to give up operations or ownership of a building - the main factor being that if they do, they have to sell the building and there are more than one charter schools or groups that would love to start a charter school that would be the ones buying the building.

But the school districts have a loophole that keeps them from having to sell - so long as the building is "in use", they are not legally obligated to sell the structure and property. So a monster building has one storage closet "in use" and it ties up the entire structure. Of course, maintenance on that building, the grounds, electricity, etc. are still going to be costs - but hey, it keeps the monopoly going, and that's what's really important. After all, with a monopoly you really don't have to try as hard, and that's what matters right?
Worm01
AG
quote:
Wait till you see how much they waste on electric bills. Double to triple the usage of the worst I have ever seen anywhere. I used to go around the state and audit schools for the state and have looked at 100's of schools.

They have over 450 buildings under there control.
There electric bill was $77 million per year in 2010. I would estimate they are wasting $40+ million on electricity.
I must be missing something because this doesn't seem that bad to me. That's about $15k per building per month. Considering the size of those buildings, the number of people through them on a daily basis, and the fact that most of them are old as hell without any semblance of energy efficiency, that doesn't seem that out of line.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.