Houston
Sponsored by

So 1.2 million was wasted on school name changes

4,650 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Worm01
Cromagnum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Too bad our city coffers are overflowing so much that we had money to spare to get rid of racist school names.
bigjag19
AG
City and schools are separate.

But a ridiculous waste either way.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Think of the children.
Seamaster
AG
Which ones were racist?
Torbush
10andBOUNCE
AG
School names and badass football stadiums is the Texas way.
htxag09
AG
Saw this on the news the other day. Some lady was basically crying at the meeting saying how all of a sudden money always becomes an issue when it is something to do with racial equality.

So y'all are all a bunch of racists.

But in all reality, wonder how much it'll cost when this country decides to rename Washington D.C.?
The Milkman
AG
quote:

But in all reality, wonder how much it'll cost when this country decides to rename Washington D.C.?

Don't be talking bad about MLK City
drumboy
AG
Funny how all the schools named after great men with some Confederate ties are now overwhelmingly minority.

I think the Y I went to as a kid in Channelview was named after Robert E Lee; bet it's not now.
Tom Hagen
AG
Just is just another poke in the eye for those of us with no kids who have to write a big check to HISD every year to baby sit other people's kids (many of whom are here illegally).

AgLiving06
quote:
Saw this on the news the other day. Some lady was basically crying at the meeting saying how all of a sudden money always becomes an issue when it is something to do with racial equality.

So y'all are all a bunch of racists.

Jolanda Jones is the one saying it. This seems to be about the only thing she's worried about.
Satellite of Love
Well these schools better see a spike in testing scores once these oppressive names are removed from history. Or we need to sue YOlanda! to recover these wasted funds.
schmendeler
AG
quote:
Too bad our city coffers are overflowing so much that we had money to spare to get rid of racist school names.

Too bad we had extra money? Work on your sarcasm.
Biz Ag
AG
Your average Houstonian has absolutely no clue who Richard Dowling or Sidney Lanier were,

Some probably think Dowling was a Texans' draft pick in April and Lanier was a Rockets' free agent signing who played for the Nets last year.
ccolley68
AG
quote:
quote:

Don't be talking bad about MLK City

MLK City?

Don't be foolish. Everyone knows once we get to a point where we will be renaming DC, the vunables won't be powerful enough to overcome the newest, and strongest team of oppressed people. DC will become known as Mohammed F.A.
agnatgas
AG
MLK and Ceasar Chavez were not without their faults
Bert315
AG
quote:
MLK and Ceasar Chavez were not without their faults

You are a racist pig! Do not talk ill of these amazing men of high character... (Read heavy sarcasm)

The rewriting of history and ignoring double standards is scary these days. Making a big deal out of the Muslim on the US team and her feeling scared of being disrespected. Yet there was no coverage when the Muslim refused to shake the hand of his Israeli opponent who crushed him.
bigjag19
AG
How long until there is outrage at the Moody family?
CheeseSndwch
The Fightin' Canadians has a nice ring to it.
Al Bula
AG
quote:
Just is just another poke in the eye for those of us with no kids who have to write a big check to HISD every year to baby sit other people's kids (many of whom are here illegally).

the illegal part is key.
MelvinUdall
I am sure these same schools have 30 kids per classroom and one computer per grade, but changing the name was the really imports in thing to do.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
quote:
Yet there was no coverage when the Muslim refused to shake the hand of his Israeli opponent who crushed him.

link? (Seriously asking because I have not seen a lick of coverage about this)
schmendeler
AG
quote:
quote:
Yet there was no coverage when the Muslim refused to shake the hand of his Israeli opponent who crushed him.

link? (Seriously asking because I have not seen a lick of coverage about this)

It was all over Reddit. Israeli judo athlete beat an Egyptian athlete (presumably Muslim) who then refused to shake hands afterward. Real **** move.
Bert315
AG
https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/rio-olympics-2016-egypt-judo-fighter-islam-el-shehaby-refuses-to-shake-hands-israeli-or-sasson/?client=safari
trip
AG
Wait till you see how much they waste on electric bills. Double to triple the usage of the worst I have ever seen anywhere. I used to go around the state and audit schools for the state and have looked at 100's of schools.

They have over 450 buildings under there control.
There electric bill was $77 million per year in 2010. I would estimate they are wasting $40+ million on electricity.
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
quote:

Imagine being us who are paying thousands upon thousands of dollars so we don't HAVE to send our children to the public cesspools, who STILL end up writing a big check to the school district to pay for the possible future offspring you may have.
CDUB98
AG
quote:
quote:

Imagine being us who are paying thousands upon thousands of dollars so we don't HAVE to send our children to the public cesspools, who STILL end up writing a big check to the school district to pay for the possible future offspring you may have.
WURD
Tom Hagen
AG
quote:
quote:

Thank God that I am fixed, and we won't be having any kids who have to suffer in a dystopian future.
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Thank God that I am fixed, and we won't be having any kids who have to suffer in a dystopian future.
you will probably adopt just to screw with me; and you're not a wartime consiglieri
chrisrrtx
AG
quote:
Funny how all the schools named after great men with some Confederate ties are now overwhelmingly minority.

I think the Y I went to as a kid in Channelview was named after Robert E Lee; bet it's not now.

I believe what you are looking at has a term called White Flight
schmendeler
AG
quote:
quote:

Thanks. I'm just thinking about all the watches I can buy with the money I'm saving from your subsidizing.
HtownAg92
AG
They will save some money "changing" all of the Robert E. Lee's to Sheila Jackson Lee's. It may cost a little more to change the uniforms from Rebels to "Fighting Ped Egg Shavings" or "Mars Astronauts", though.
Flashdiaz
AG
they really should auction off naming rights to generate revenue and let private donors compete to have their own name on a school. Charge a yearly license fee.

I'd like to see a Mattress Mac High School or John Fertita Elementary

Boom! immediate funding for schools.
Diggity
AG
fess up, which one of you guys has one-thousand, four-hundred and seventy-five comments on Chron.com?

schmendeler
AG
there used to be an AgNerd on here IIRC.
Diggity
AG
looks like you're correct. He must not be as prolific on the Houston board.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.