Houston
Sponsored by

Katy neighborhoods

9,276 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Buck O Five
MelvinUdall
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
quote:
We really like Firethorne and are less worried about the commute once we're on I10, we just keep hearing it's bad on 1463. We both are in the office by 6:45 or 7 so we'd probably leave around 6, but I don't know if that would beat much of the traffic buildup on 1463 or not.
Its not going to get better anytime soon. This was a huge reason I didn't buy in firethorne. They haven't started on the Cain Island Parkway extension to 1463 and 1463 will need to be widened from the Spring Green intersection all the way to 10. That isn't going to be a pretty process in the coming years.

Actually, the Cane Island deal should be done by next summer, plus there is back way out of the neighborhood to hit I-10 and South Firethorne is or will be completed connecting to Spring Green.
Bayou City
We love NC. A lot of Ags out this way, too. We live in the "newer" part of NC just east of Mason Creek off Westgreen and north of Highland Knolls. I know several posters on here that live in our section of NC.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
We live in old Cinco, Peek @ Highland Knolls. Very easy access to both 99 and I-10. I am in the Meadow Green neighborhood, which is ridiculously close to the 99 feeder (2 minutes or less to get there). But in recent years I have noticed that all of the E/W roads near me, Highland Knolls, Kingsland, Cinco Ranch Blvd, and Westheimer Parkway, all back up badly at certain times of the day just to get to 99. And then there is 99, as someone above stated, 99 has become a cluster-f*** that backs up for miles.

I am currently out of work, but when I have been employed, I have typically left the house before 6:00 am to beat the build-up going south on 99.

We have friends who live in Nottingham and they love it. It is close to I-10, relatively easy access, and there are lots of older but great homes there. I have only heard bad things about the commute going out to Firethorne.
Seamaster
AG
We live just barely on the west side of 99 in Cinco Ranch. When we were shopping for a house, we looked at 25+ houses on the east side of 99 and only 1 on the west side of 99....leave it to Mrs Seamaster to like the house on the west side of 99 the best.

I work in the galleria area and leave the house at 6AM and am usually at my desk at 6:45 at the worst. I can take Westpark, I-10 or Westheimer Parkway depending.

I leave the office at 4PM and am home around 4:45 every day.

We love it.

NCNJ1217
AG
We just purchased in Nottingham Country this spring and are loving it.

Let me give some background to what factors went into our decision. Hopefully will be helpful.

We moved into a "starter" home in the Katy area south of I-10 approximately 10 years ago. This has made us quite familiar with the area. You could say we've been doing research this whole time, on which neighborhood to move to when we outgrew our starter home. Really, when purchasing a home, there are a lot of factors that go into it. Commute time was very important to me, not so much the wife. Schools were a big factor. Finally and this shouldn't be overlooked, is the style of home and the feel of the neighborhood. Many neighborhoods I didn't mention here, just don't have a good feel to the neighborhood or architecturally just weren't up to par in our opinion.

When it came time to get serious about finding a neighborhood, we had to nix anything west of 99. Commute is simply horrible and it isn't getting better anytime soon. If you have any kind of reason to be west of 99 between the hours of 4 and 7, it's easy to see how traffic backs up not just on 99 itself, but also (as another poster mentioned) on the E-W streets leading up to 99. Want to save yourself some time by exiting Mason and cutting across via Kingsland, Highland Knolls, CR Boulevard etc? It's not really happening. As far as Firethorne, we did consider it and viewed some model homes that direction. Simply put, there are access problems and bottlenecks that again will not get any better until the area is completely built out and access roads are upgraded. In the meantime, expect bottlenecks, construction delays, etc etc, without relief in sight for years. Now, it's doable, and the homes, schools and neighborhoods are really nice, but it's a tradeoff and you have to make a decision as to what's more important.

We also considered the Old Katy area north of I-10 and west of 99 which doesn't have the access problems we've been talking about. In the end, the quality of schools at the elementary level, while still Katy ISD, weren't up to par so we had to eliminate that area as well.

We considered in passing the Lakes of Bella Terra area zoned to Foster, but it's just too far from literally everything.

What did that leave? Old Cinco, is a great choice. Not as close to I-10 so you're adding a little more time to the commute, but no bottlenecks and the area is built out nicely (traffic will probably stay at current level). Schools are bulletproof.

Nottingham Country and Green Trails honestly have the best access to I-10, and again the area is completely built out so traffic is stable. Schools are some of the best in Katy ISD. Mature trees and landscaping if that's your thing. Personally the wife loved the architectural style of both NC and Green Trails, so that was a plus.

For us, Green Trails was out of our price range, but it's great for those that can afford it, or need a larger house, etc. The homes are more uniformly larger, more luxury homes. Not a lot of 3 bedrooms. Most of the houses would not need quite as much updating. We're talking approx. 20-25 year old homes.

NC is a larger neighborhood, with a lot of sections, so it stands to reason that it has a larger range of square footages and prices. There is something for most. The top range is very comparable in price, size, etc, to Green Trails, the Kelliwoods, etc. One last thing to consider is that much of the price range you'll see is driven by whether the home is updated or not. Many of the homes hover around 35-40 years old. If they've been remodeled you'll pay for it, and if not, a good deal can be had with the caveat that you'll need to either live with it, or be the one who remodels.

Hope this helps.
MelvinUdall
Great synopsis, I will however add that Cane Island connection to 1463 SHOULD be done next fall. In addition there is a back exit out of the neighborhood to get on I-10.
Buck O Five
AG
Very well said. I grew up in nearby Kelliwood when there were more deer than people, Fry road was considered waaaay outside of town, the small trees were freshly planted, and the original AC systems couldnt get homes below 80 degrees in the summer.

It really is a nice area these days. I assume the big trees help keep the utility bills lower. Tree trimming, gutter cleaning and the upkeep of older homes do play a cost factor, but the paid off MUD keeps taxes lower for those on fixed incomes that cant just write them off.
Bayou City
Did you play KYF or KNLL?
Buck O Five
AG
KYSC, better than FFPS i suppose.
BigPuma
AG
quote:
Great synopsis, I will however add that Cane Island connection to 1463 SHOULD be done next fall. In addition there is a back exit out of the neighborhood to get on I-10.
The overpass was supposed to be done last october. We saw how that went. I highly doubt this will be done by the deadline. There are still row acquisition/eminent domain issues that haven't fully played out.

Also they still haven't put Cane Island Parkway through the railroad tracks north of Hwy 90. That is going on 18 months of delay even though they were making some progress about a month ago on that.
BigPuma
AG
quote:
We also considered the Old Katy area north of I-10 and west of 99 which doesn't have the access problems we've been talking about. In the end, the quality of schools at the elementary level, while still Katy ISD, weren't up to par so we had to eliminate that area as well.
Katy Elementary is consistently rated as one of the higher elementary schools in the district so a lot of that just kinda depends on where you are looking and what you think will happen. Granted Nottingham isn't going to be re-zoned from Nottingham El or Pattison depending on where you live.

In my little area of old Katy (Falls at Green Meadows) the only risk i run in rezoning is being zoned to the new Cane Island Elementary whenever that actually gets built, which I would anticipate being up there in the rankings with the other consistently high rated Katy ISD elementary schools.
dahouse
AG
Not so sure about that ranking for Katy Elementary. My wife was a teacher for 7 years and they pull some strings at that school with regards to testing and zoning.

There are other schools in Katy that are better, but there are also a bunch that are worse. That's one reason we moved from our old 'hood, we were zoned to a Title 1 school.

They are building the elementary that our little one will attend in 2018. Its LCISD and only a short walk from the house.
Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Where can I find elementary school rankings?
Post removed:
by user
Diggity
AG
Schooldigger is good
texsn95
AG
Nvm
GoAgs92
AG
Why haven't I heard of this Firethorne Brisket until now!

I picked Firethorne for only 2 reasons,

1. My commute to the energy corridor is reasonable (I used to live up in Cypress), usually takes about 40 minutes.

2. I wanted a newish neighborhood where there were kids my kids age new to the neighborhood too. I always hated moving as a kid to a street with no kids my age, and when there were the new kids were like a 3rd wheel for a while.

It will be nice when they finally widen 1463 but until then, i'm taking the backway when necessary.

MelvinUdall
quote:
quote:
The overpass was supposed to be done last october. We saw how that went. I highly doubt this will be done by the deadline. There are still row acquisition/eminent domain issues that haven't fully played out.

Also they still haven't put Cane Island Parkway through the railroad tracks north of Hwy 90. That is going on 18 months of delay even though they were making some progress about a month ago on that.

I am friends with a friend that is on the Cane Island deal and there are two people holding out, they are still on schedule for fall. No idea on the deal on the north side.
dahouse
AG
PM me your info, I'll let you know next time I cook. Even if you don't want a brisket you can hang out and drink a cold one.
Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
BigPuma
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I am friends with a friend that is on the Cane Island deal and there are two people holding out, they are still on schedule for fall. No idea on the deal on the north side.
Anything dealing with cane island parkway i have pretty much decided to take the "i believe it when I see it approach." And frankly i really hope they do get that crap done. it will make my wife's commute much shorter to get down to 1463 and 1093 faster.

Kingsland going from 1463 to Pederson will be an absolute **** show dealing with Agave Group
MelvinUdall
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Anything dealing with cane island parkway i have pretty much decided to take the "i believe it when I see it approach." And frankly i really hope they do get that crap done. it will make my wife's commute much shorter to get down to 1463 and 1093 faster.

Kingsland going from 1463 to Pederson will be an absolute **** show dealing with Agave Group

I am with you on believing it when I see it as well. I have been wondering for a while how they will get Kingsland done with Agave sitting right there.
Southside AG
AG
The family and I moved from firethorne to Kelliwood (highland knolls and fry) 2 years ago. We lived in Firethorne for 4 years. Well loved the neighborhood, but The commute was too much (memorial city mall area). We looked at NC but didn't like that old of a home although there are nice places there. Green Trails is great but Kelliwood is nice too and just a tad further south.

As others have said, stay east of 99. Neighborhoods connected to Fry rd south of i10 to highland knolls intersection is a good cutoff.

GoAgs92
AG
Can't pm...I don't have a subscription...that's right I'm cheap.

But I did see the facebook brisket post, one of my neighbors bought one, the triplet dad.
BigPuma
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I am with you on believing it when I see it as well. I have been wondering for a while how they will get Kingsland done with Agave sitting right there.
eminent domain on the north side of the property. which will really piss those guys off.
WALTON LOADS!
AG
quote:
quote:
Katy Elementary is consistently rated as one of the higher elementary schools in the district so a lot of that just kinda depends on where you are looking and what you think will happen. Granted Nottingham isn't going to be re-zoned from Nottingham El or Pattison depending on where you live.

In my little area of old Katy (Falls at Green Meadows) the only risk i run in rezoning is being zoned to the new Cane Island Elementary whenever that actually gets built, which I would anticipate being up there in the rankings with the other consistently high rated Katy ISD elementary schools.
I'm in the same boat (live in FOGM as well). Whats the latest guess on when cane island elementary will be finished?
BigPuma
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm in the same boat (live in FOGM as well). Whats the latest guess on when cane island elementary will be finished?
dunno. Technically it isn't paid for yet. 38 & 39 opened today (i think) 40 opens next year. 39 is part of the Stock**** School Rd group (Elem, JHS, HS)

I would guess it will probably be on the next bond issue (maybe)

edit: I ****ed up on the open dates
cajunaggie08
AG
teehee. stock****
BigPuma
AG
i know right. ****ing filters
Buck O Five
AG
The elementary off stock**** road opened today. The JH and HS adjacent open next fall.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.