Houston
Sponsored by

Katy neighborhoods

9,263 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Buck O Five
fishingag14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking at buying a house middle of next year in the Katy area and wanted to get opinions and pros and cons of certain areas. We'll be buying basically at $300k and I work at I10 and Eldridge. The wife is currently in cypress but expects to move when we move (in the medical field and can work almost anywhere). No kids yet but hopefully soon so schools are important.

Right now we're mostly looking at firethorne and Nottingham country. We haven't looked much at cinco because it just seems so crowded but maybe y'all can talk us into it. Any other areas we should look at? For these areas, what are the pros and cons?
MelvinUdall
We live in Firethorne and love it.
fishingag14
What's traffic like getting to and from I10?
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Good luck. We're renting a house in Katy for no other reason than to immerse ourselves out here to decide on a place to buy and haven't made an inch of progress in a few months now.
FW Declerk
quote:
Post removed:
by user
CrossBowAg99
AG
quote:
quote:

30 Minutes MAX
fishingag14
Not sure what's so funny about that? I genuinely would like to know. I've heard it can be bad for firethorne but never heard actual times
10andBOUNCE
AG
I've lived in new Cinco and in old Katy and my two choices if I were in your shoes would be old Cinco right around the YMCA or even into Kelliwood or Green Trails. Firethorne would be one of the last - I have a couple friends trying to get out of the due to the commute issue.
Seamaster
AG
I was in same boat a little over 1 year ago. We looked at Nottingham but didn't want an older home because we'd had older homes with issues before.

We looked at Firethorne/Fulshear. Really nice out there but not as developed and it's 30-40 min worse commute than Cinco Ranch - where we ended up buying.

I'll echo what 10andBounce said. That's basically the area we live in and we like it a lot. Much easier commute that Firethorn area. Nice neighborhood. Lots of good restaurants and jogging trails etc in the neighborhood. Best of both worlds, in my opinion for the money.
TexAgs1992
You should look in San Antonio. Easy access to I-10
sts7049
AG
Nottingham is a great neighborhood. access to 10 is very good in the morning. if you live in firethorne you'll regret it once you realize how short your commute could have been.
AggieDoc2002
AG
We've lived in Nottingham Country for 7 years and love it. Also check out Green Trails.
88jrt06
AG
quote:
We haven't looked much at cinco because it just seems so crowded

The entire distant west-side nightmare summed-up in one sentence. 99 right down the middle....and, this.

The developer-kings screwed the entire region.
BrazosDog02
AG
All of GD Katy is crowded. Was hoping the oil bust would clear up some of this but it wasn't to be.
Post removed:
by user
MelvinUdall
quote:

Depending on the time in the morning you leave, it can be OK or a nightmare. I will say they are working on different access points that should be completed soon, plus there is a back way out that you can get on 10 quickly.
AlaskanAg99
AG
quote:
All of GD Katy is crowded. Was hoping the oil bust would clear up some of this but it wasn't to be.

Because they would start tearing houses down?
Buck O Five
AG
It is the biggest investment you will make. Drive out early one morning and try the firethorne and/or green trails commute.
Oso96
AG
This is exactly what I did about 5 years ago and why we live in Green Trails.
drumboy
AG
Sister in law lives in Green Trails and I've dropped my daughter off there a couple times omw to work in Katy. Very easy to get to 10 but that Starbucks is really slow.
terradactylexpress
quote:
It is the biggest investment you will make. Drive out early one morning and try the firethorne and/or green trails commute.

Not an investment. Hth
drumboy
AG
quote:
quote:

Not an investment. Hth

OTL
JSKolache
AG
I work in Cinco and our Firethorne dwellers ***** about traffic just getting to our office - much less I10 or towards town. If you wanna get a real feel for it, scout it during the school year. School zones slow down traffic out here on every major artery.
PeekingDuck
AG
I live in Nottingham Country and my work drive to energy corridor is a breeze. I'd hesitate going further west just due to side road congestion and the flyover. Downside to NC is the older houses, of course. But I don't mind spending a little money renovating to be next to work.

Green Trails is the only other place I'd consider out here.
Shawdaddy
AG
We live in the "old cinco" area across from the YMCA, and are really happy with it. You are kind of in the middle of everything there, which makes going anywhere on the weekends quick and easy.

This area is starting to turn over now. The older residents are starting to move out, and young families are moving in.

I would highly recommend staying on the East side of 99, and south of highland knolls - unless you want to be in the older Nottingham area right by I-10 which is undoubtedly the easiest area to access during rush hour off 10.

One other warning would be that 99 is starting to suck. Since it got connected to the North and South, and with all of the new construction out west it is worse than I-10 at some times of the day.
BigPuma
AG
I live in one of the new neighborhoods in Old Katy. I don't deal with much if any at all traffic getting to/from 10. takes like 5 minutes.
dahouse
AG
I drive from Firethorne to Channelview every day. I leave at 5:30 and get to the office at 6:15. I leave the office at 3:45 and get home between 4:30 and 5.

1463 backs up during the school year, starting around 6:30. but you can take Pederson Road out the back of the 'hood.

Bass have been biting on spinnerbaits in the front lake. Don't speed through the 'hood or the FB people will internet-shame you
Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
MelvinUdall
quote:
I drive from Firethorne to Channelview every day. I leave at 5:30 and get to the office at 6:15. I leave the office at 3:45 and get home between 4:30 and 5.

1463 backs up during the school year, starting around 6:30. but you can take Pederson Road out the back of the 'hood.

Bass have been biting on spinnerbaits in the front lake. Don't speed through the 'hood or the FB people will internet-shame you

So true about speeding through neighborhood and posts on the neighborhood FB page. In addition if you own a business and live in Firethorne, you can be sure that the neighbors on that same FB page will tear you down about your business.
dahouse
AG
It seems that most folks in the 'hood try to support the local business owners, at least from the few that I talk to.

I sell briskets every few months and everyone gives great feedback.
MelvinUdall
quote:
It seems that most folks in the 'hood try to support the local business owners, at least from the few that I talk to.

I sell briskets every few months and everyone gives great feedback.

Good to hear, I noticed a couple of posts in which someone in the neighborhood owned a business and people tore those businesses down over lengthy threads.

I know who you are now, by the way, once you mentioned the briskets, we have never met, but I have see a lot of complimentary posts about your briskets. Didn't you provide some free briskets for some folks?
dahouse
AG
Last time I cooked, one nice lady mentioned that she was buying the brisket so her husband could take it to his fire station. I decided to give it to her for free since it was going to the firemen. Now I have a tradition/policy that every time I do a brisket blowout, one brisket will be donated to local law enforcement, fire station, PD, etc. When I sell the BBQ, it includes sauce, pickles, onions, bread, and sometimes beans. She told me that the fire station gets donuts and sweet stuff all the time, but never a good, hearty meal.
Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
MelvinUdall
Well done! I would order your services, but I have a smoker in backyard and cook at least a couple of times a month. What part of the neighborhood do you live in?
fishingag14
We really like Firethorne and are less worried about the commute once we're on I10, we just keep hearing it's bad on 1463. We both are in the office by 6:45 or 7 so we'd probably leave around 6, but I don't know if that would beat much of the traffic buildup on 1463 or not.
BigPuma
AG
quote:
We really like Firethorne and are less worried about the commute once we're on I10, we just keep hearing it's bad on 1463. We both are in the office by 6:45 or 7 so we'd probably leave around 6, but I don't know if that would beat much of the traffic buildup on 1463 or not.
Its not going to get better anytime soon. This was a huge reason I didn't buy in firethorne. They haven't started on the Cain Island Parkway extension to 1463 and 1463 will need to be widened from the Spring Green intersection all the way to 10. That isn't going to be a pretty process in the coming years.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.