Houston
Sponsored by

Relocating to Houston

5,036 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by StillNotAnAggie
88jrt06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:

mt3950
AG
quote:
Serious response here.

I'm guessing since you are rotating internationally you are moving to Houston so you will be closer to the airport although that might only be in/out every 28 days in my experience.

Dignity's suggestion is good. Although in rush hour the IAH can be 1+ hours so something to think about. I think Tomball, certain areas if The Woodlands and Kingwood could be good.

I would say not Katy unless the 1.5-2 hour drive once a month to the airport isn't going to bother you.

I live in Cinco Southwest. Takes almost exactly 1 hour to get to IAH.
joerobert_pete06
AG
Thanks zemira
OXDL45
AG
Kingwood.
aggiebq03+
quote:
JayAggie is the only serious response, thanks.

I've lived in Houston before and very familiar with the traffic. I've always lived inner loop but now looking at the suburbs. As far as a job, I will be rotating overseas so a commute is not a concern. When I get in town, I'll check some other resources for better advice.

Where would your office be if you stopped rotating?
Will your wife ever want to go to work someplace?
Those are the longer term considerations.

We just moved back and purchased in Kingwood area. Actually we are officially in Porter, but off Northpark.

I expect to do some traveling so the airport being close is nice. And we lived in this part of town previously and knew we would like it. If you have questions about the NE side of town let me know.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Always love people from porter trying to claim Kingwood, especially the oakhurst people.
Jaydoug
AG
quote:
Always love people from porter trying to claim Kingwood, especially the oakhurst people.

Both are "Upper Eastside", right?
aggiebq03+
quote:

I aways love that kingwood people forget they are really just in Humble.

Really do prefer to be in Mongomery County than Harris.
Buck O Five
AG
Be sure to look at property taxes carefully. On the west side in fulshear some rates are below 2%, other new neighborhoods approach 4%. That is a big swing in the $450k price range.
joerobert_pete06
AG
King wood/porter/north park area is nice and I would consider living out there.

That's for the info on property taxes, I will look at this too
jjdavis85
AG
Let me know if you do find yourself considering the katy/Fulshear area. I'd be happy to help you with your home search.
GoneGirl
AG
quote:
quote:
Serious response here.

I'm guessing since you are rotating internationally you are moving to Houston so you will be closer to the airport although that might only be in/out every 28 days in my experience.

Dignity's suggestion is good. Although in rush hour the IAH can be 1+ hours so something to think about. I think Tomball, certain areas if The Woodlands and Kingwood could be good.

I would say not Katy unless the 1.5-2 hour drive once a month to the airport isn't going to bother you.

Boo Weekley
The Woodlands. Best burb in Houston by far imo. It's out there though, not sure where your office is.
ZosoAg
AG
Happy to give you some more information in regards to Houston area suburbs. Email is laurenharris@kw.com
BBRex
AG
quote:
The Woodlands. Best burb in Houston by far imo. It's out there though, not sure where your office is.

Generally agree with that, but I-45 is a terrible road if you ever have to commute to downtown.
spider96
AG
quote:
quote:
Serious response here.

BS, I've made that drive in 30 minutes.
MouthBQ98
AG
I'm renovating my house to sell in Spring. 20 minutes from IAH.
BRAVEAG
Sugarland is my best recommendation. Homes are affordable, good schools.
StillNotAnAggie
quote:
quote:

Generally agree with that, but I-45 is a terrible road if you ever have to commute to downtown.

Hardy Toll Road if your best friend if you live up here and work down there.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.