Houston
Sponsored by

Relocating to Houston

5,039 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by StillNotAnAggie
joerobert_pete06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hello all, I am looking for suggestions on good home builders or good locations in the greater Houston area. I'm thinking somewhere west of town near Katy since I10 seems to be the best freeway in town. Can someone give me soma advice on where to begin my home search?
HBCanine08
AG
quote:
Hello all, I am looking for suggestions on good home builders or good locations in the greater Houston area. I'm thinking somewhere west of town near Katy since I10 seems to be the best freeway in town. Can someone give me soma advice on where to begin my home search?
El Paso.

We're full.
HBCanine08
AG
Also, it'll help if you tell us where you'll be working in Houston
Martin Q. Blank
There's a new neighborhood in west Katy named El Paso that's becoming popular. 30 minute drive to downtown.

AlaskanAg99
AG
I10 best freeway for what?

Sitting at a standstill near Hwy 6?
Ag_07
AG
quote:
near Katy since I10 seems to be the best freeway in town.

That's like saying the clap is the best STD to have.

Oh and to answer your question

RingOfive
AG
You're going to love it here. No matter where you live, it only takes 25 minutes to get to any other point in the city.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Great another immigrant
JayAggie
AG
All depends on where you work. Katy is nice if you're working on the westside. And you'll have to actually take advice from someone that lives in Katy, but I hear the traffic sucks. Do not take RingOfive's advice.
GoneGirl
AG
quote:
You go on thinking that and hang out with all the folks on that side of town.
Diggity
AG
where are you going to be working? kids? budget?
Zobel
AG
More importantly, what's your opinion on a meatloaf sandwich?
88jrt06
AG
quote:

Jesus, did you get bad advice.
But, if that (somewhere west) is your fate, wait 18 mos for awesome foreclosure options. Don't try to grab a falling knife. It sucks for our region, but you could score. Others may be pissed about this post, but RE can be a ***** in this town/exurb.
88jrt06
AG
quote:
quote:
You go on thinking that and hang out with all the folks on that side of town.
mts6175
AG
The El Paso joke was funny maybe the first couple of times, but it's a little played out now fellas.....
FW Declerk
Op try El Paso we are full
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
quote:
The El Paso joke was funny maybe the first couple of times, but it's a little played out now fellas.....

F you. That is my only Texags claim to fame. Your ****ing face is played out.
mts6175
AG
Jaydoug
AG
We're not full, some guy a few threads down is moving to Dallas.
OXDL45
AG
One spot available.
FtBendTxAg
AG
quote:
We're not full, some guy a few threads down is moving to Dallas.

And there's tons of class A apartments available to rent
joerobert_pete06
AG
JayAggie is the only serious response, thanks.

I've lived in Houston before and very familiar with the traffic. I've always lived inner loop but now looking at the suburbs. As far as a job, I will be rotating overseas so a commute is not a concern. When I get in town, I'll check some other resources for better advice.
Diggity
AG
no..my response was serious as well. Those are important pieces of information if you want decent feedback.
joerobert_pete06
AG
Diggity

Sorry about that! Will have two kids less than 18 months old and budget will be less than 450k
pb488
AG
don't do it, read some liter-ture on the subject. you sure? **** it
Jaydoug
AG
quote:
Diggity

Sorry about that! Will have two kids less than 18 months old and budget will be less than 450k
Serious response, depends on your wife since you are travelling a lot.

Without that knowledge, I'd pick Tomball on that budget. Good schools. Wifey can venture into the Woodlands for shopping, entertainment for kiddos, etc. Can also make a run to CityCenter on west side or even Galleria when adventurous. Not a bad drive to IAH. Best of all shortest drive to College Station on Saturdays.

David Carr
quote:
wait 18 mos for awesome foreclosure options.
You would need to get in line behind the other posters on this board who have been waiting since 2005 for the 50% price correction in Houston housing.
88jrt06
AG
quote:
quote:
wait 18 mos for awesome foreclosure options.
You would need to get in line behind the other posters on this board who have been waiting since 2005 for the 50% price correction in Houston housing.
No, no, I wouldn't. You mistake me for someone else. It won't be anywhere near 50%(!), and (while not interested in buying there), I'd say I "went out on a limb" about Dec., 2015 as the layoffs started ramping up.
We're talking west/nw side, here...

2005? Talk about tinfoil hats! Those guys have suffered! T&Ps.
David Carr
HBCanine08
AG
quote:
don't do it, read some liter-ture on the subject. you sure? **** it
HumbleAg04
AG
450k will get you anything you want in the suburbs. If you are traveling a lot then pick based on schools/neighborhood for family and access to IAH for you.

Zemira
AG
Serious response here.

I'm guessing since you are rotating internationally you are moving to Houston so you will be closer to the airport although that might only be in/out every 28 days in my experience.

Dignity's suggestion is good. Although in rush hour the IAH can be 1+ hours so something to think about. I think Tomball, certain areas if The Woodlands and Kingwood could be good.

I would say not Katy unless the 1.5-2 hour drive once a month to the airport isn't going to bother you.
10andBOUNCE
AG
99 should solve the problem of long airport commutes. Not totally direct but an option during rush hour.
88jrt06
AG
quote:

Wow, weak smack. Have someone read both posts to you. Hang tough.
...but then, the double-negative means that it made sense, so...thanks!
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
solid read this morning
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.