Houston
Sponsored by

How much is Lasik Running these days

4,611 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Timber08
El_Gato
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Had my surgery over 10 years ago. Anyone had it done recently. Believe it was around $3,000 at Berkeley back then.
Sorrell Booke
My wife got quoted $3900 yesterday.
230Ag
AG
Had mine done 15 years ago and it was 3600. Seems like it would have gone down by now.
suburban cowboy
AG
I'm 24 but have had glasses since I was 8. I am told I'm an ideal candidate by my optometrist.

Is it worth it?

aggiecody06
Absolutely best money I've probably ever spent got it done 4 years ago still have 20/20. Would do it again if need ever arises
Sbisa04
AG
No brainer. Do it.
CrossBowAg99
AG
LASIK is awesome

It is freaky as hell when you do it, but it only last a few minutes
drwong
AG
I had it done at your age and it was well worth it, completely life changing.
Motis B Totis
AG
I've seen groupons for it
ChainsawRAB04
AG
Best money ever spent. Went to Dr. Whitsett in Houston (one of the best). As a previous poster said, it is freaky as hell while they're correcting your vision, but worth every penny...and that was in 2004. I'd imagine it's probably cheaper and better nowadays.

My only advice is don't go cheap. You only have one pair of eyes.
South Platte
Had it done over 8 years ago. Got $300 discount by paying in full at time of service. Was about $3,500.
RK
AG
~$4k
Engine10
AG
quote:
Best money ever spent. Went to Dr. Whitsett in Houston (one of the best). As a previous poster said, it is freaky as hell while they're correcting your vision, but worth every penny...and that was in 2004. I'd imagine it's probably cheaper and better nowadays.

Another vote for Whitsett group (off Campbell). Had it done last year (vision was -4.5 in both) and I hate myself for taking this long to do it. Paid with HSA debit, they cut a small amount off for that, but generally around $2K per eye all in. They also include a few "adjustments" over a time period, three years I think, should your eyes come up short.
Andy07
AG
I just got quoted at about $3400 for Dr. Whiteside at LasikPlus last week. I'm sure I could find a few hundred less elsewhere but he made me comfortable and has a ton of experience / quality equipment. I'll pay with an HSA so at least it'll all be pre-tax money.

I'm scheduled to go under the laser in August!
RyanSmith1988
AG
$1k / eye. Fantastic decision, great doctor.

LASIK vision insitute on Bering drive near Galleria.

Groupon: $999/eye if paid upfront.

First 90 days your eyes are still recovering, but it has been 6 months for me, and I have 20/15 vision.

Greatest decision in a while.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Do it. Had mine done in 2003. Total cost was $4k, 25% discount through work and I sent up my health spending account for that year so I paid it in full with pre-tax dollars and it was deducted per paycheck so I didn't have to sweat the cost.

That being sad, have them do your non-dominant eye first. For most people this will be the left eye. It is freaky, but after the 1st eye is done you totally relax because it's no big deal.

Best thing I've ever done.
RyanSmith1988
AG
People say not to cheap out but what they don't realize is the ease of the LASIK procedure, and how many docs actually perform it now days...

On another note: my family in India paid $300/eye. many of the doctors there are more qualified than docs here (granted no malpractice lol)
htownag10
AG
Mann Eye runs specials periodically. I paid $3800 for mine in 2014. Used care credit for 36 months interest free. I'd do it all over again. No more damn contacts.
JayAggie
AG
I cancelled mine the week before the procedure back in 2005 because it was my 1st born's 1st Christmas and my cornea's are thin so they had to do a different technique with longer recovery and it was scheduled for the 23rd. I thought "I'll get it done next year".....5 more kids later and still no LASIK. I want it so bad, but can't afford it right now.
sixbarag
Sponsor
AG
Did mine 10 years ago with Dr. Charlie Moore (Aggie) and it was $3700
My oldest son just had his done in May with Dr. Moore as well. Cost was $3800, quoted $4000 but got $200 discount for family member. Dr. Moore and his staff are the best and I've had nothing but great experiences with them.
Btw, it is probably the single most quality of life improvement I have ever had, wore glasses for 20 years and my son wore them for 10 years. He is starting at A&M next month, he absolutely loves his life life without glasses/contacts.
Diggity
AG
$1000 per eye sounds better than $2000 per eye.
RK
AG
it's good that it sounds better, because you might not be able to see that $1000/eye bill when it comes.
Jack Cheese
AG
Dr Nick Riviera has half off all surgeries, this week only!
pb488
AG
Had mine a few months ago with Mattioli Vision at Shepherd and 59, think it ended up $2400 or something around there with the special they were running. 100% worth it
CrossBowAg99
AG
quote:
I just got quoted at about $3400 for Dr. Whiteside at LasikPlus last week. I'm sure I could find a few hundred less elsewhere but he made me comfortable and has a ton of experience / quality equipment. I'll pay with an HSA so at least it'll all be pre-tax money.

I'm scheduled to go under the laser in August!
I used lasik plus at buffalo speedway and kirby 10 years. I have been happy
CrossBowAg99
AG
quote:

How is he one of the best?

The most commercials?

BS magazine articles?
CrossBowAg99
AG
quote:
On another note: my family in India paid $300/eye. many of the doctors there are more qualified than docs here (granted no malpractice lol)
India?

Do the Doctors take baths regularly and wear deodorant?
JYDog90
AG
quote:
quote:
India?

Who cares, if they know what they're doing?
gigemJTH12
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
India?

Who cares if they know what they're doing?
phrasing...
JYDog90
AG
great point! Edited.
Jaydoug
AG
Love my LASIK. We'll all either be happy forever or all go blind in 10 years.
Bondag
AG
quote:
Dr Nick Riviera has half off all surgeries, this week only!

Timber08
~3800 total at Berkeley this year. I got the impression the "discount" they give to get to that point would be allowed for any reason - employer, insurance, Houston resident, you asked nicely, etc.

They were good and did not nickle and dime me when I needed contacts to get through to the new calendar year so I could apply my FSA funds.

I don't necessarily subscribe to the idea paying more means it is better but I do believe that a group with a lot to lose is not likely to recommend a poor candidate or take a risk. If you have a line out the door of people willing to pay $4k and someone has questionable cornea thickness then you are going to advise them accordingly. You also don't want to risk your money making machine on one guy's operation. If you are having trouble filling your surgery day at $999 a patient then you might paint a rosier picture.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.