Houston
Sponsored by

Cutting Cord w/ Cable - Need Advice on HD Antenna

5,036 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by GCRanger
Sooper Jeenyus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I live in 77379. What's the signal like out here? Which stations are airing? What sort of hardware do I need? Is a simple indoor, plug-in antenna sufficient and which do you recommend?
miley
AG
https://www.antennaweb.org/Address
Waffledynamics
AG
Why not just get SlingTV?
drumboy
AG
I live inside the loop and very close to channel 11 so I thought one of those basic flat antennas would work well enough stuffed behind the TV but it didn't work for shlt. I ended up going back to my old huge HD antenna with rabbit ears in the attic and now I get 25+ Spanish channels.
K Bo
AG
I live in 057 and recently cut the cord. I use the PS Vue app and the only local channel I don't get via the app is Ch 11. I bought the Amazon HD antenna and have it fixed to a window right by the TV. So far I have not used it except to verify the reception. It worked fine at that time and every time I have checked since. Fingers-crossed it works this fall.
Fleff
AG
i live in 77070, antenna in the attic and it works just fine.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
quote:
My intent is to get PS Vue but I want all available options and, seeing as how broadcast is free and the antennas are cheap, I'm going to combine them along with an app or two.

Attic antennas still need to be wired to each TV, correct?

OCEN99
AG
quote:
quote:
My intent is to get PS Vue but I want all available options and, seeing as how broadcast is free and the antennas are cheap, I'm going to combine them along with an app or two.

Attic antennas still need to be wired to each TV, correct?

I'm also in 77379, and I just started the PS Vue service this week. It comes with the local ABC, NBC, and Fox affiliates, so you're mostly set unless no Chita is a dealbreaker for you. We did **** around with a HD antenna prior to that, but we were only able to get NBC and Fox with it since we don't really have any windows facing south.
JSKolache
AG
CBS over the air signal is horrible, all over Houston. I'm at 18 miles away - can see the tower on good days - signal is still spotty and I have to point the antenna just right for CBS. The other networks are fine.
$30 for 50 mile range antenna

$13 for 25 mile range antenna
agchugger
AG
How do cord cutters watch Root Sports to get Astros and Rockets home games?

Sling TV or PlayStation Vue?
Al Bula
AG
quote:

Torguard VPN and subscription to MLB?
ceenAg05
AG
I live in 77379 and have a large antenna in the attic (2 story house) and have never had issues with channel 11 or channel 8. Those are both high-VHF channels, so you'll need an antenna that can pick those up. The flat little antennas are generally UHF only. I installed my own radiant barrier foil and made sure my antenna was above that so it wasn't impacted. I've had an antenna since college and purchased our current one back in 2006 when we bought our first house. That was before the digital switch, so it was designed for receiving all the way down to channel 2 on VHF. At my old house in The Woodlands, I used a signal amplifier. Once I moved to the Klein area, I didn't need it as it just seemed to amplify my noise.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
quote:
I live in 77379 and have a large antenna in the attic (2 story house) and have never had issues with channel 11 or channel 8. Those are both high-VHF channels, so you'll need an antenna that can pick those up. The flat little antennas are generally UHF only. I installed my own radiant barrier foil and made sure my antenna was above that so it wasn't impacted. I've had an antenna since college and purchased our current one back in 2006 when we bought our first house. That was before the digital switch, so it was designed for receiving all the way down to channel 2 on VHF. At my old house in The Woodlands, I used a signal amplifier. Once I moved to the Klein area, I didn't need it as it just seemed to amplify my noise.
So, is this a waste of time:

https://www.amazon.com/1byone-Antenna-Amplified-Detachable-Amplifier/dp/B00RFLXE0A/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1468445761&sr=8-3&keywords=OTA+antenna

or will this be sufficient, you think?

If something like this won't work, I may just look at getting an exterior antenna. Have a two-story house and don't really want to wire the attic antenna to all necessary rooms.
Jules_Winnfield
I live at 23rd and Shepard and bought the Mohu leaf 50 TV antenna.

I have no trouble watching NBC CBS ABC Fox CW and a few other ones I cannot think of right now

All of them in HD quality

And I also have sling TV which I can stream Netflix Hulu and Amazon prime through . I have an Amazon prime account one of my sisters has Netflix account and give them has a whole new account and we sure login information

ryanhnc10
AG
PS Vue gets the local channels in Houston, minus CBS
ceenAg05
AG
I wish I could give an expert answer, but I'm not an expert in antenna design. Some friends of ours use a small antenna on top of their TV and cannot pick up PBS at all. Not sure how important that channel is to you. The antenna you linked might be better, as the one they use is not even rated for VHF.

Both of the houses we have lived in had the cable splitter in the attic, so I just hooked the antenna to it and split to different rooms. It is best to find a splitter that just has the number of rooms you are trying to connect, as the signal power is reduced the more you split it.
GCRanger
AG
We have a PC hooked up to the tv in the living room and use it for Netflix, Amazon Prime, Pluto, Hulu, individual broadcaster sites, local media (ripped movies ), jukebox, etc.

I now no longer have access to Watch ESPN as we no longer have UVerse but would like to get it back as cheaply as possible.

I think this is the best and cheapest option:
- Sling or Playstation Vue cheapest packages in $20 -$30 range. Allows for Watch ESPN on living room tv through PC.
- Get a chromecast to use the Sling or Vue apps on other tvs wherever I put them.

I think I'm leaning Vue since it has the record option.
ccolley68
AG
Not to hijack OP, but I have finally done it myself. For less than the cost of my current Directv monthly bill, I have outfitted all my TV's with Fire Sticks. Will be doing the SlingTV/CBS All Access/Hulu/Netflix route for a total monthly cost approx 30% of typical Directv monthly. Wish me luck!
TX_AG_10
AG
Holy crap.. How have I never heard of Playstation Vue! I think I'm going to cancel my DirecTV package today!
GoneGirl
AG
We have a Roku and this...

Husband made it for about $5 off directions he found on the internet. It isn't pretty, but it's not out in plain sight and it gets every thing local in HD.

We have subscriptions to Netflix, Amazon Prime (which I really bought for free shipping), and Sling (ESPN and a bunch of other stuff). During the Outlander and GOT seasons we add monthly subscriptions to Starz (through Amazon) and HBO Now, and cancel them when the season is over. During football season, we'll add the SEC network to our Sling, again, just for the months during the season.

We haven't missed anything we want to see yet, and we're saving a ton of money.
Post removed:
by user
Bighamp03
AG
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/antennas-direct-clearstream-2v-long-range-hdtv-antenna-black-silver/6847298.p?id=1218809260470&skuId=6847298&ref=212&loc=1&ksid=2829bca0-ebfb-4b8c-aab6-2a6f19112b3e&ksprof_id=16&ksaffcode=pg53514&ksdevice=m&gclid=CjwKEAjw5cG8BRDQj_CNh9nwxTUSJAAHdX3fogH_WMJR4KOPQNRonKSVq3yVuI75rNZ4ghxWPn2A1xoCEcfw_wcB

I have that mounted to my roof in The Woodlands and get all of the Houston locals and KBTX from College Station.
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
quote:

R.I.P. BallStreams
Jock 07
AG
Don't know how it'd work for you where you're at but when directv dropped abc here a few years ago I stripped ~foot of regular coaxial cable and was able to pick it up just fine using that.
rhoswen
AG
How well will these antennas work in an apartment? All windows face south.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
quote:
How well will these antennas work in an apartment? All windows face south.
Well...if you're NORTH of downtown those south facing windows will be just fine. If you're SOUTH of downtown...
rhoswen
AG
Great.

I'm in kemah.
Post removed:
by user
rhoswen
AG
I dunno, once or twice a year? Not really a fan.
Jock 07
AG
Does the direction matter with an antenna? I know for satellite you have to be pointing toward the southern sky as we're in the northern hemisphere and the satellites are at geo and you need LoS. With an antenna doesn't it matter more how far you are from the tower than which direction the antenna is pointing?
GCRanger
AG
So just realized that you can't use Playstation Vue Mobile unless you have a Sony device or Firestick hooked up to your tv first and create a profile. You can't just register an android phone and address. Boooo.

Anyone know a way around this?

Looks like I'm going with Sling TV for now.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.