Houston
Sponsored by

JJ

12,968 Views | 114 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Boo Weekley
Jules_Winnfield
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm a the only one who thinks JJ does what he does for attention and "hey look at me and what I do".... It seems disingenuous.... I'm glad we got him but his shtick is getting old.... Just play ball
mts6175
AG
Yes.
tommyjohn
If he didn't play for the Texans none of us would stand him.

He is a ****** but he's our ******bag.
Post removed:
by user
Ag_07
AG
He's a marketing genius who's stuffing his pockets. I ain't mad at him
tamug90
He sure seems to have a lot of coaching turnover around him
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
quote:
I'm a the only one who thinks JJ does what he does for attention and "hey look at me and what I do".... It seems disingenuous.... I'm glad we got him but his shtick is getting old.... Just play ball

not the only one, i love the guy but his "i work hard all the time #nevernotworking, #alwaysgettingbetter, #timetowork" crap gets old. As mentioned before, hes a marketing genius and as long as he keeps his hard working squeaky clean persona he'll rake millions a year in endorsementz
suburban cowboy
AG
100% attention hoar.

KDubAg
AG
quote:

I would agree with Ag_07. Make the money now.

He's done a lot for Houston first responders. I know he's visited many fire stations and has played basketball with some of the guys. He's bought pizza for every fire station and police station in the city one day. One of the few sport stars that has shown support for the first responders.

I think he was the only one or one of the few sport stars that showed up and gave some support for Capt Dowling. He's the HFD Captain (that lost his legs and had severe brain damage) that survived the motel fire where 4 FFs died.
Chewy
AG
I think much of it is a little more planned out and not spontaneous but I think the guy is pure in his intentions to the community and the time he spends.

He really seems like a good guy that knows he has to cash in while he can. I'd be surprised if he plays much past 30. He's worked his ass off for everything he's earned so nothing but respect for the guy as its a business at its core.
Ag_07
AG
I think his intentions and character are genuine but his posting about it all is what's an act.

The quicker you come to realize all that is part of his business plan it's easier to get over.
schmellba99
AG
Jesus Christ, what wont you ****ers ***** about?

Here you have a guy that works his ass off, is a very visible positive role model and whom genuinely seems to give a **** about the community and hasnt done a single thing worthy of hate....and you still find a way to hate him.

I can only surmise it is because your wife or girlfriend looks like she just broke her water when he is on TV and she calls out his name whilst rubbing one out in the shower and you just cant stand it.
Boo Weekley
He's the hardest working steroid and HGH user in football. Hands down.

I admire the guy and wish the league was filled with more positive role models of good character like him. But I have to laugh when people act like he's all natural and just a product of a strong work ethic.
ElCheAg
AG
Yes.
ATM9000
AG
What exactly makes JJ Watt a 'marketing genius'?
MelvinUdall
Yeah I am sure y'all would avoid marketing yourself and making money if you were JJ, you would simply just turn down money and stay away from the spotlight.
byfLuger41
AG
quote:
Just play ball

Hey OP,

Oops.
Mikeyshooter
AG
quote:
But I have to laugh when people act like he's all natural and just a product of a strong work ethic.
Sounds hilarious.
Ag_07
AG
quote:
What exactly makes JJ Watt a 'marketing genius'?

His use of social media, the image he's created for himself, the platforms he's used to get out in front of people, his interactions with fans, interactions with the community, things he says

Again, I think his actions are genuine, but he's been able to capitalize on them like very few professional athletes have.

Lots of athletes do a lot of community work, lot of hard work on and off the field but very few are on every other commercial and have a presence both locally and nationally like JJ Watt. He's kept his wave going for a good while and he's riding the shlt out of it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.
Chewy
AG
Think about this on JJ - He's a defensive lineman that has more notierty than most QBs in the league.

Like someone else said his use of social media and the image he's created is no accident. The dude wants, understands it, and goes after it. There's no doubt he's being guided but himself understands it and manages it perfectly.

It's quite remarkable what he's accomplished.
byfLuger41
AG
Bump
ATM9000
AG
So if you are a choir boy on social media that = 'marketing genius'. Got it. Didn't realize the bar for the term genius was so low these days.
Texaggie7nine
I can't stand him. He is such a horrible person with his tweets and his instagrams.

Why can't he be like a regular top NFL star and beat women, use drugs, get arrested for dui's, ect?
7nine
aTm2004
AG
quote:
He's the hardest working steroid and HGH user in football. Hands down.

I admire the guy and wish the league was filled with more positive role models of good character like him. But I have to laugh when people act like he's all natural and just a product of a strong work ethic.
When you say "all natural," what do you mean by that? Are you saying that he's doing it on only chicken and brown rice, or that he's taking supplements as well? A guy I played football with in HS is a DE in the NFL and he recently posted his "daily supplements," which look like a small GNC. He has trainers who work with NFL athletes and know what's approved vs. what's questionable, and he uses every advantage that's available to improve himself, and I don't think JJ is any different. If there's a supplement that he takes pre, post, and during a workout that's approved by the NFL, I'm not going to fault JJ or anybody for taking it. At the end of the day, these guys are solid muscle running into other guys of solid muscle. If they can take something that makes them quicker off the line, a bit stronger, or able to recover quicker, I'm OK with it, as long as it's approved by the league.
aTm2004
AG
As far as making money by marketing...cash in! NFL careers are short and he needs to capitalize as much as he can while he's able to. I look at it this way...if he's making $20mm+/yr from endorsements, that helps the Texans should they need to restructure his contract to help keep an important part of the team in Houston, or to possibly bring in a big name needed player.
Aggie Oilman
I met JJ at the Freebirds by NRG about a month ago. He was not the nice guy you see on TV and in the commercials. I was the only one in Freebirds at the time as it was 11 AM. When I recognized him I walked over and said hello very nicely. Maybe it was a bad day but he was not pleased about having to talk with a fan. Afterward the cashier told me JJ didn't like the fact that I am taller than him (I'm 6'6") and I guess I could see that although he definitely outweighs me by 50 lbs minimum.
HBCanine08
AG
quote:
This.
MelvinUdall
quote:
Bump

Man that sealyaggie is really bitter and does not JJ, woah.
aTm2004
AG
You're telling me that there are times he doesn't want to be bothered in public? Oh the horror! Somebody call ESPN and let them know!! I've seen several celebrities in public (sat at a table next to Heather Graham and Jennifer Coolidge at the Salt Lick once) and have never approached any of them. If we happen to be looking each other's way, I may give them a little "what's up" nod, but that's about it. Let them be a private citizen when they're not playing or at an event as a "celebrity."
DustysLineup
AG
Most people are averse to being approached by strangers. Especially in Houston, where those conversations usually lead to some story about needing help to go visit a sick parent. Andif you think about it, it's got to be pretty weird having total strangers recognize you and wanting to strike up conversations on the regular.

I know a nice, likable former local TV person who switched to a regular job in the private sector because she got tired of reading complaints about not being friendly enough at the grocery store or whatever.
aTm2004
AG
Lisa Foronda?
DustysLineup
aTm2004
AG
She could be mean to me as much as she wants.
jetch17
AG
JJ was nothing but standup and nice when we met him. Gravitated to the kids and awesome to everyone. Although he wouldn't box jump the kids.
HtownAg92
AG
We can all still love the dude but still have "JJ fatigue". He's a beast football player and a great ambassador for the city and the league. Does he play up his "I work harder than anyone" schtick? Yes, but even if it is contrived it makes him better than others on the field. Is he overexposed in soctial media and commercials? Absolutely, but you can't blame him for cashing in on his hot ticket.

All of that I can accept and deal with. The only JJ thing I can't stand is his grandstanding on the field. His Ray Lewis-esque entrance routine, his unnecessary finger wagging at Drew Brees (Why?), his "look at me" celebration dances even if someone else made the sack and he piled on late. He's better than that and should let his play do all the talking (Myles Garrett anyone?). I also don't like that he thinks he should be put in on offense in every goal line situation. He throws on his helmet for the cameras and makes sure the coaches know it. I can think of at least one occasion last season when he imposed his will of being in there and it backfired and they had to settle for a field goal.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.