Houston
Sponsored by

driving around a barricade

5,208 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Bondag
The Original AG 76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Once again we are seeing stories on the news of numerous incidents where first responders are risking life, limb and property to rescue idiots who willingly drive around a barricade and then require a rescue. Just this morning the rescue guys had to retrieve some sub-moron who drove around the barricades on 249 and Zion in Tomball.

In a perfect world these idiots would be left to DIE and help cleanse the gene pool but we are too infected with all that compassion stuff to allow this SOOO....
I am going to be working with some folks going to Austin next year to craft legislation where the locals can charge these idiots with a big time criminal trespass charge, allow for the recovery of ALL costs associated with the rescue AND to allow the insurance company to deny any and ALL claims for damage or loss to the vehicle.
Barricades are put up for a reason and should not be crossed. We are seeing far too many of these rescues and the valuable time and resources wasted pulling these idiots out of harms way are better used to help the truly needed.
Jack Cheese
AG
Just go for the death penalty.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
I like it
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
What about fat people that continue to order the supersized meals at jack in the box? Can you draft legislation that would make them ineligible for public health care, or make them responsible for their medical bills when they get rushed to ben taub with an infarction?
jja79
AG
And smokers, don't forget them.
Tone2002
Smh. Reminds me of that incident in April with the young lady. Ridiculous people are still yet doing this.
combat wombat™
AG
quote:
What about fat people that continue to order the supersized meals at jack in the box? Can you draft legislation that would make them ineligible for public health care, or make them responsible for their medical bills when they get rushed to ben taub with an infarction?

Are first responders risking life and limb to save them?
Zemira
AG
I drove to Tomball this morning to pick a few things up I needed. I took 249 the Tollway as it wasn't flooded. On the feeder idiots were driving over the cones to go down since they blocked it at an intersection and not at the water where there was no place to turn around. Of course they didn't have an eztag or txtag to use the stupid tollway so instead of finding an alertnate route they drove the flooded road. They could have found an alternate route instead of driving down a flooded road.

They had 2920 blocked off with baracades and I didn't see anyone stupid enough to drive through those.
AgLA06
AG
quote:

Leave us non-skinny people out of this!!!
230Ag
AG
quote:
quote:

they are if they have a heart attack and need an ambulance. ambulance driver could get into a wreck on the way to their house.
sts7049
AG
insurance companies should definitely deny coverage for this kind of stupidity. that might at least help deter if they know they're replacing that car on their own dime. laws aren't going to stop idiots though.
combat wombat™
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

they are if they have a heart attack and need an ambulance. ambulance driver could get into a wreck on the way to their house.

You are being intentionally obtuse. The danger/risk to the first responders isn't even remotely the same.
AgLiving06
quote:
insurance companies should definitely deny coverage for this kind of stupidity. that might at least help deter if they know they're replacing that car on their own dime. laws aren't going to stop idiots though.

My exact thought as well.
aduey06
Was driving in Tomball waller today and drove around a couple of barricades with no water behind them. Obviously had not been out there to remove them yet. Should I be charged because I did that.
htownag10
AG
quote:
I drove to Tomball this morning to pick a few things up I needed. I took 249 the Tollway as it wasn't flooded. On the feeder idiots were driving over the cones to go down since they blocked it at an intersection and not at the water where there was no place to turn around. Of course they didn't have an eztag or txtag to use the stupid tollway so instead of finding an alertnate route they drove the flooded road. They could have found an alternate route instead of driving down a flooded road.

They had 2920 blocked off with baracades and I didn't see anyone stupid enough to drive through those.

Tomball is the area where all the stupids live
Zemira
AG
I thankfully live south of Tomball.
Diggity
AG
I've never known a law in the world that prevented an imbecile from being an imbecile.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Yeah, I'm not sure how a law stops someone from driving around a barricade. But I guess the OP is more about recouping costs.
blackgoldag11
AG
quote:
quote:

Said every loser ever
JSKolache
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

You are being intentionally obtuse. The danger/risk to the first responders isn't even remotely the same.
What did you call me? Solitary. A month.
Ragoo
AG
quote:
I've never known a law in the world that prevented an imbecile from being an imbecile.
i bet the OP is a "small government" type too. Irony is a funny thing.
schmellba99
AG
They have a law like this in Arizona. It is called "The Stupid Motorist" law. I fully support laws of this nature.
combat wombat™
AG
quote:
They have a law like this in Arizona. It is called "The Stupid Motorist" law. I fully support laws of this nature.

Ate you going to make us look it up?
Reloadags1998
AG
quote:
Was driving in Tomball waller today and drove around a couple of barricades with no water behind them. Obviously had not been out there to remove them yet. Should I be charged because I did that.

If your actions to disregard the barricade forced another entity to spend their resources to save you, then absolutley.
dubi
AG
quote:
https://www.phoenix.gov/fire/safety-information/onthemove/motorist
htownag10
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Said every loser ever

You wanna fight this out brah? Get in your kayak and meet me at 4 corners.
Post removed:
by user
schmellba99
AG
quote:

You cant stop it. But you can make them foot the bill for their stupidity.
schmellba99
AG
Its called "The Stupid Motorist Law" and is exactly lime the OP described. If you defeat a barrier duri,g flood or other weather events and need to be rescued, you pay the bill. And the bill usually exceeds $10k sometimes by a significant margin.
schmellba99
AG
Class B isnt squat when compared to the cost associated with a rescue for driving around the barricade.

It really floors me that people are against EMS services recouping costs if you are dumb enough to need rescue because you cant figure out a barricade is there for a reason.
Diggity
AG
I'm not against recouping costs at all.

The OP seemed convinced that the new laws would act as a major deterrent for people ignoring barriers. I tend to disagree.
Post removed:
by user
schmellba99
AG
You would be surprised at what type of idiot drives around barricades. Look at the UH professor that drove into 8 foot deep water on live TV. Not everybody that does stupid things falls,into the LOL poor category.

Arrestable offense costs money, i would much rather see the various agencies have the ability to recoup costs so that my fugskin taxes dont continue to go up because of idiots. EMS is usually a small portion of the costs in water rescue as well, it is the FD and other agencies that have the specialized equipment that foot the lions share of the bill.

And laws like this work in other states, simply because Texas has not done something does not mean it will not work here. I have no visions of grandeur that this law will eliminate the problem, but I fully support the ability of the rescuing agencies to at least have the ability to come after those that would do stupid things that require rescue financially.
Post removed:
by user
schmellba99
AG
Thenby all means, do whatever research you want. Not going to change my mind no matter what you find. I am a proponent of stupidity having a financial cost,
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.