Houston
Sponsored by

Downtown Dinner Suggestion

2,867 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Jaydoug
Ezra Brooks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know this topic has been done repetitively, but I'm asking again anyway.

Will be staying at the Magnolia on a Friday night in June for an anniversary celebration.

Beyond the V&A/Pappas, etc. upper end steak houses - what are some good restaurant suggestions within walking distance.

Sambucca is an option, but their menu looks better than their execution.

Is Hearsay Lounge decent?

I'm very interested in Prohibition Supper Club for the show, and could probably talk the wife into being interested, but in this case I'm planning on this being a surprise and I'm not sure how well a burlesque show would go over without the proper prep work.

Other suggestions that fit the bill for a nice dinner along with hitting up one of the bars or three for cocktails before/after.
jetch17
AG
Hearsay is fine or something around market square, then hit up Warrens Inn for a stiffie

Or take your lady for a slippery digit at la carafe
Stephen12684
AG
Captain Foxheart for an old fashioned. Ask if they have the cognac and coffee syrup version available.
BMX Bandit
La Fisheria on market square
randy828
AG
Batangas is our go to downtown.
Al Bula
AG
If you're not playing "Hide The Dome Dog" inside a Minute Maid Park bathroom on a summer Friday night, you're doing it wrong.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG

you know I love me some neon-blue-ferris-wheel fingerbanging

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/4c/9c/b5/4c9cb5bba7b92452f09267f839fc7406.gif

Shawdaddy
AG
Prohibition is fun - took the wife there earlier this year for dinner and the show - stayed at the Magnolia as well.

If you plan on doing prohibition - make sure your wife wants to go, or you could end up in the doghouse, lol. While the show was great, the food left a lot to be desired. Go early and hang out at the bar. They have good drinks, and great service.

One other observation I had about the magnolia, is that it is starting to feel a bit run down. It is where my wife and I stayed on our wedding night close to ten years ago, and we have been several times since, but I don't think anything has changed since we went the first time.
FarmerJohn
AG
quote:

Is Hearsay Lounge decent?
Yes. Make a reservation though because there isn't a ton of seating.

Personally, not a fan of Batanga. Had some really terrible food there. Been there a couple times and every time it was somewhat busy, the service was a disaster. Tapas is a hard concept to pull off with all the different orders but at Batanga the food seems to come out in completely random order and intervals. Not going back.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
take her to warrens, she wont care where you eat after that.

Bars/Food
Pastry War
Moonshiners
Bovine & Barley

The new Pappas is really nice.

Deans is a go to spot for me.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I came here to make a Warren's joke, but I see I'm too late.

Anyone up for Notsuoh?
Ezra Brooks
AG
quote:
Prohibition is fun - took the wife there earlier this year for dinner and the show - stayed at the Magnolia as well.

If you plan on doing prohibition - make sure your wife wants to go, or you could end up in the doghouse, lol. While the show was great, the food left a lot to be desired. Go early and hang out at the bar. They have good drinks, and great service.

One other observation I had about the magnolia, is that it is starting to feel a bit run down. It is where my wife and I stayed on our wedding night close to ten years ago, and we have been several times since, but I don't think anything has changed since we went the first time.
Interesting comment as the driver behind staying there is the same...10 years ago as well.
Ezra Brooks
AG
quote:
take her to warrens, she wont care where you eat after that.

Bars/Food
Pastry War
Moonshiners
Bovine & Barley

The new Pappas is really nice.

Deans is a go to spot for me.
That's kind of the plan.

Honestly though, what's the crowd like on a Friday night at these places? Typical dress, etc.?
Token
AG
Batanga seriously blows now. Changed their lunch menu entirely and the food tasted awful
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Casual. It's Houston, you can wear just about anything* to a bar in Houston

*Unless you are a minority
DRE06
AG
Huge fan of Mia Bella. The original, not the one in the Pavillions (although it's fine as well).
Jaydoug
AG
During the week or weekend. Big difference.

Downtown is pretty meh during the week. Slightly better on the weekend.

Grab an Uber and head to one of the several unique non-chain restaurants in the Heights, Midtown or Rice Village.
Burn-It
AG
Quattro at Four Seasons, awesome Italian, great service too.
AKA 13-0
BuffaloREV
AG
No Longer Subsribed
AG
Perbacco at the corner of Capital and Milam in Pennzoil Place for Italian.
ATM9000
AG
Probably too late and this person took his wife somewhere terrible... But I personally think Hearsay blows too.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG

quote:
Grab an Uber and head to one of the several unique non-chain restaurants in the Heights, Midtown or Rice Village.

This may be the dorkiest advice I've seen yet.
Jaydoug
AG
quote:

quote:

This may be the dorkiest advice I've seen yet.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.