Houston
Sponsored by

Do "No soliciting" signs near your front door actually work?

4,851 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by DustysLineup
stridulent
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Solicitation seems to be getting worse and worse in our neighborhood. I know some people have put signs up near their front door and/or door bell. Do these signs actually help to deter solicitors?
HBCanine08
AG
CrossBowAg99
AG
My front yard is fenced and gated. The best no soliciting sign ever!
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
Solicitation seems to be getting worse and worse in our neighborhood. I know some people have put signs up near their front door and/or door bell. Do these signs actually help to deter solicitors?

Idiots still put fliers on my door. But rarely do people knock anymore.
johnrth
Couldn't tell you, I've had one person ignore the sign in the 4yrs I've had it. Maybe it does but also maybe people don't want to sell stuff in my hood.
fire09
AG
Our HOA street warriors usually have the swat team en route by the time they are knocking at the 3rd house in our hood.
The Wonderer
AG
The work with you tell them to leave and that you will be calling the cops to report solicitors that are trespassing.
jetch17
AG
Just rack a shotgun
JYDog90
AG
The mote usually stops most of them. My round the clock security detail handles the rest.

Perhaps I've said too much.
Formerly Willy Wonka
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
quote:
The mote usually stops most of them. My round the clock security detail handles the rest.

Perhaps I've said too much.
my Donald trump brand wall does the trick.
schmellba99
AG
Answer the door in tighty whities with half a chub and talk about lotion. Word gets around.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I have no personal experience, but i always figured you were asking to be messed with if you put some anti-social proclamation on your door.
BMX Bandit
quote:
Answer the door in tighty whities with half a chub and talk about lotion. Word gets around.

Doesn't that just encourage a different kind of solicitor?

Not judging. Just asking
JYDog90
AG
I've never put a sign on my door for fear that it would keep Ed McMahon and the Publisher's Clearinghouse Giveaway people away (it worked, hence the aforementioned mote and security detail).
MrsHouston98
I've discovered the best kind of sign is a handwritten one. The fancy ones blend in and nobody reads them til after they ring your doorbell. I replace it each month and no one has destroyed naptime since.
randy828
AG
quote:
I've never put a sign on my door for fear that it would keep Ed McMahon and the Publisher's Clearinghouse Giveaway people away (it worked, hence the aforementioned mote and security detail).
Did you really spell moat wrong twice? Or do you mean a small particle keeps people away?
MAS444
AG
Locked gate/fence. But according to the Heights nextdoor site, that makes me a bad neighbor. I feel awful.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
quote:

Doesn't that just encourage a different kind of solicitor?

Not judging. Just asking
I haven't had a problem with that. Yet. Hope it stays that way.
stridulent
AG
Your responses did not disappoint. Thank you, 'Tine.
JYDog90
AG
quote:
quote:
Did you really spell moat wrong twice? Or do you mean a small particle keeps people away?
LOL! I said I was rich, I didn't say I talked good.

Just to ward off your next post, this post is meant to be ironic.
swimmerbabe11
quote:
Our HOA street warriors usually have the swat team en route by the time they are knocking at the 3rd house in our hood.

A thousand times this.

You can't be on a leisurely stroll in my neighborhood without getting pegged on NextDoor as being suspicious and goodness forbid you drive slowly.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
Seriously, you're an adult. How hard is it to politely tell someone off or just ignore them? Buy a loud dog if you're afraid of stranger danger.
stridulent
AG
quote:
quote:
Seriously, you're an adult. How hard is it to politely tell someone off or just ignore them? Buy a loud dog if you're afraid of stranger danger.
I was not being sarcastic. I enjoyed a lot of the responses.
mm98
AG
quote:
quote:

A thousand times this.

You can't be on a leisurely stroll in my neighborhood without getting pegged on NextDoor as being suspicious and goodness forbid you drive slowly.

This X 1000...
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Has anyone that posts here ever bought something from an unsolicited door to door salesperson? Not a hooker at a working man hotel, but an actual guy that cold knocks on the front door of your home?
mm98
AG
We had Vivant's marketing company in our neighborhood about 4-5 months ago and probably 6 people signed up for security systems. I guess it still happens
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
Has anyone that posts here ever bought something from an unsolicited door to door salesperson? Not a hooker at a working man hotel, but an actual guy that cold knocks on the front door of your home?

Girl Scout cookies
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
When I was a kid there was an old blind man in the neighborhood who worked door to door sales. He was nice and always in a suit even when it was hot. My mom would buy stuff just to help him out, like household cleaning supplies and stuff. Aside from that, I don't know of anyone who has.

The browns who are all aggressive about painting up jer houze annoy me. There's like no way I could conceive of hiring a foreigner who woke me up from a nap to tell me my houze look like chit.
BMX Bandit
quote:

How else can you get steaks or magazines?
Bregxit
AG
quote:
quote:
When I was a kid there was an old blind man in the neighborhood who worked door to door sales. He was nice and always in a suit even when it was hot. My mom would buy stuff just to help him out, like household cleaning supplies and stuff. Aside from that, I don't know of anyone who has.

The browns who are all aggressive about painting up jer houze annoy me. There's like no way I could conceive of hiring a foreigner who woke me up from a nap to tell me my houze look like chit.
Our latest odd-ball door to door folks are random guys pulling up in a truck wanting to fix a dent in my wife's car. What the **** is that? That has topped the unmarked panel van with Trivago guy selling "prime steaks".
BBRex
AG
"Soliciting" is a big word for the types of people who are selling stuff door to door.
12f Mane
AG
I always just tell them I work in their same field. Bug guy? I work for ABC. Yard mowed? I own a landscaping company. Found Jesus? I'm a minister. They get super confused and pretty much always leave immediately.
Furlock Bones
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

A thousand times this.

i feel like i should figure out what neighborhoods have the most biddies on nextdoor and just spend an afternoon that i have nothing better to do just driving slowly through the hood over and over again. stopping in front of random houses for extended periods of time should add a level of paranoia
yes
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I didn't know door to door meat sales was a thing so I googled and it's apparently a big enterprise.

Here's a how-to blog explaining how to win over the rubes:
http://door2doormeat.blogspot.com/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.