Houston
Sponsored by

saw a billboard advertising turf grass

3,816 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by texsn95
94chem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What is "turf grass?"
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Likely sod of several varieties.
http://murffturf.com
Post removed:
by user
ccolley68
AG
OP must not have taken Dr Duble's class. Only textbook from college I still have.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
OP must not have taken Dr Duble's class. Only textbook from college I still have.

Same.
Ag_07
AG
quote:
OP must not have google

FIFY
94chem
So basically it's just a redundant way of saying grass. Obviously they're not trying to put crab grass and Johnson grass in my yard. I figured it was a way to let country folk who grew up with weeds and fire ants know there was another option. But basically it's like saying "tooth dentist."
AMW2010
AG
I ca not find st Augustine anywhere in my area. 2 garden center that have signs outside, no grass, 4 Home Depots and lowes, no grass.. A grass place on 1960 near 249, sign on door says sold out. And 290 grass on 290 has grass but due to the construction, their business is temporarily closed cause they are doing construction on their driveway on the feeder. I could see the grass but they were closed. Been trying to find some for a few weeks now
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Cowboy Topsoil
Martin Q. Blank
It's due to all the rain. They can't cut it wet. The little they do cut will be sold within hours due to demand.
rhoswen
AG
Good. St Aug is horrible.
JSKolache
AG
quote:
So basically it's just a redundant way of saying grass. Obviously they're not trying to put crab grass and Johnson grass in my yard. I figured it was a way to let country folk who grew up with weeds and fire ants know there was another option. But basically it's like saying "tooth dentist."
More like a term of art within a billion-dollar industry -- with a large footprint in this state.
aftershock
quote:
It's due to all the rain. They can't cut it wet. The little they do cut will be sold within hours due to demand.

This.

And the big landscapers that do new home construction are getting a lot of the first cuts.
ccolley68
AG
quote:

This
Post removed:
by user
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
quote:

Lol. What makes it so horrible? Many well respected ag folks recognize that St. Augustine is well suited for the Houston area and our environment. Usually when someone says it sucks, it's because they're parroting some **** they heard that applies to central or north Texas without considering the climate differences between there and the Gulf Coast.
It does grow great here and it is cheap.

Negatives:

• It is a water hog
  • It works its way into your flower beds and chokes out other plants
  • broad leafed turf doesn't look as good as thin leafed turf such as zoysia or bermuda
  • Bermuda and Zoysia feel softer
  • Zoysia/Bermuda grow much slower so you don't have to mow as much
  • St Aug doesn't like you to play on it.
  • Lots of thatch
ccolley68
AG
quote:
quote:

Lol. What makes it so horrible? Many well respected ag folks recognize that St. Augustine is well suited for the Houston area and our environment. Usually when someone says it sucks, it's because they're parroting some **** they heard that applies to central or north Texas without considering the climate differences between there and the Gulf Coast.

My biggest complaint (besides the fact it runs into my beds like crazy) is that it is not resilient at all in high traffic areas. Spots where my kids walk and play regularly, or the path my dogs take off the porch every time, all turn into bare muddy holes in the grass. It's fine for old people with no kids who don't spend time on the grass. Not so for people who have kids/animals on it regularly.

My neighborhood requires St Augustine in the homes yards, even though all common areas that the HOA is responsible for are all Bermuda. Commie *******s.
Teddy Perkins
AG
I'm thinking about re-doing my backyard soon. The St.Augustine has not held up for ish from the heavy dog and kid activity. It's a gross mud-pit that gets a ton of shade. What type of grass holds up well to heavy activity and can be maintained with a lot shade? Any recs for contractors that would re-level the yard, tear out the old flagstone patio, put down stamped concrete, build a pergola, and throw down new sod?
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I think you are seeking a unicorn...it doesn't get more shade tolerant than Palmetto St. Augustine.
wessimo
AG
quote:
I'm thinking about re-doing my backyard soon. The St.Augustine has not held up for ish from the heavy dog and kid activity. It's a gross mud-pit that gets a ton of shade. What type of grass holds up well to heavy activity and can be maintained with a lot shade?

This has worked great for our small yard. Never even have to mow.

http://www.synlawn.com/

Teddy Perkins
AG
quote:
quote:
I'm thinking about re-doing my backyard soon. The St.Augustine has not held up for ish from the heavy dog and kid activity. It's a gross mud-pit that gets a ton of shade. What type of grass holds up well to heavy activity and can be maintained with a lot shade?

This has worked great for our small yard. Never even have to mow.

http://www.synlawn.com/

I used to have something similar when I was in a townhome with a smaller yard and loved it. My biggest hesitation for my current application is the amount of leaves we get from two giant magnolias and two huge oak trees. I'm lazy and don't want to bag leaves every week but if I can get over that it looks like it's my best option.
drumboy
AG
quote:
Likely sod of several varieties.
http://murffturf.com

That's from my home town.
htxag09
AG
quote:
My neighborhood requires St Augustine in the homes yards, even though all common areas that the HOA is responsible for are all Bermuda. Commie *******s.

Interesting. Don't have an HOA so don't pay much attention but I remember them talking about not allowing HOA's require st Augustine back during the drought for water conservation reasons. Or maybe that was just Austin, or maybe my memory just sucks.

Either way, it's bull crap an HOA can set rules like this.
Post removed:
by user
Guitarsoup
AG
Houston gets a lot of water, but we seem to get it all at once, then nothing for a while. You still have to water a lot here, especially in July/August.
Texas A&M
quote:

Negatives:

• It is a water hog
  • It works its way into your flower beds and chokes out other plants
  • broad leafed turf doesn't look as good as thin leafed turf such as zoysia or bermuda
  • Bermuda and Zoysia feel softer
  • Zoysia/Bermuda grow much slower so you don't have to mow as much
  • St Aug doesn't like you to play on it.
  • Lots of thatch

Yes it likes water, but Houston is wet enough to where you don't have to water it that much except for when we get a dry spell. Bermuda is worse about taking over beds and things like that IMO, and once it gets in there it's a PITA to get rid of it. No grass likes heavy traffic and if you don't mow Bermuda frequently, it gets too tall and thins out. If you're trying to get St. a to choke out Bermuda you actually mow less and longer for that reason.
We have Celebration Bermuda and really like it. However....

• I have to agree that it is much harder to control around flower beds than St. Augustine. Once it gets in, it is almost impossible to get it out.
  • It doesn't really save that much water when compared to St. Augustine. However, if you do go a while without watering Bermuda does recover quicker because the roots have just gone dormant (vs completely dying).
  • The softer feel is great.
  • I've found that I have to mow as much for it to look good. However, St. Augustine definitely looks more out of control if you try to space out your cuttings too much.
  • We have a big dog. I think the St. Augustine held up better to his wear & tear.
  • No brown patch or chinch bug in Bermuda, so that is a HUGE plus.

If I had to do it again I'd still go Bermuda. The only part that sucks is that my neighbor has St. Augustine, and keeping it out of my yard is a losing battle.
AMW2010
AG
quote:
That's the only answer I ever got from ONE person. Everyone else was clueless beyond clueless...

I assumed that was the reason, but not knowing where the grass is sourced from I just had to take clueless workers words.
Post removed:
by user
redag06
There are also quite a few turf farms in the Crosby area.
94chem
When I was a kid, we had St Augustine and Bermuda. The St Augustine was always so much nicer under bare feet, and never had chiggers.
ccolley68
AG
St Augustine does have a cooler feel under foot, but that's about the only good thing
Velvet Jones
AG

quote:

• Lots of thatch

Sounds like my prom date.
texsn95
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.