Houston
Sponsored by

Free Dog to a good home - 4 yr Lab/GP mix

3,741 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by SnowboardAg
Ozmandius
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ags:

We are getting ready to move and are looking for a good home for this guy. He is a neutered, house broken, and can be trusted outside without a leash. Approximately 4 year old Lab/Great Pyrenees mix. and has all of his shots. Very sweet disposition and makes a great house dog.

Am happy to facilitate a play date if interested.
CrossBowAg99
AG
Jack Cheese
AG
That's a great looking pooch right there.
Cole Trickle
AG
How much does he weigh? Can he fight?
BMX Bandit
That dog has devil eyes
randy828
AG
Hey Oz, great looking dog. Has he been around kids?
Martin Q. Blank
Does he have any pit bull in him? I have kids.
HBCanine08
AG
How is he around other dogs?
Do you kennel him or just let him roam freely around the house while you're out?
Cole Trickle
AG
How many ducks has he retrieved? How is he at tracking deer blood?
Ozmandius
He has been around kids and another dog for as long as we have had him (approx 3 years). We have another older lab and they get along fine. Older lab is incredibly submissive and he has emulated that behavior. If anything, he is skittish.

We have a 2 year old who has poked him in the eye and stolen his food before with not so much as a growl. He just kindof walked away and sulked. We also have an infant. He doesn't ever concern himself with her unless she is crying, then he just goes and sits by her. He doesn't appear to have a fixation with food or toys, which is odd, but loves to cuddle. He will slowly try to sneak into sitting in your lap if you let him. Only complaints are that he sheds and will bark whenever anyone (including us) comes to the door. More of an alert than aggression though. Anytime visitors come over he barks when someone comes to the house and starts playing with them when they come inside. Probably the GP in him as they are very good protector dogs.

We won't give him to the pound or anything like that. If we can't find a good home for him, we will make do.
Ozmandius
None. No idea.
combat wombat™
AG
Why are you getting rid of him?
Ozmandius
He roams free when we are away. We usually just close the bedroom doors so the dogs dont get on our bed while we are out.
Ozmandius
We might not. Looking for a home because of space issues. Got him before we had any kids. Two 70 lbs labs plus two kids is a quite a commitment when you have two working parents with serious jobs.
CheeseSndwch
Cute dog. Would he fight other animals if cornered? Does he have the dexterity to use a hammer or a small blade?
I Play With Guns
S
I say you give away one of your kids before you give away that precious dog.
Token
AG
kids can speak english and fend for themselves. give up the kid first
FtBendTxAg
AG
Getting dogs before realizing they're a responsibility
Ghost91
quote:
Getting dogs before realizing they're a responsibility
This. I volunteered at the Houston SPCA for awhile, and the dogs who had it the worst were not the strays that were picked up off the streets. It was the dogs who had a loving home and were then dumped due to 'had a baby', or 'space issues', or 'can't afford him', or 'he poops alot', etc.

The strays were happy as could be. The ones that used to have homes would shiver & shake and lie curled up in the corner of their cage with bewildered looks on their faces, like "when are my people coming to get me".

Like people, they form a bond with their 'family'. To think you can just give them to somebody else and they'll never miss a beat is wrong.

Keep the dog and make it work.
HBCanine08
AG
quote:

The ones that used to have homes would shiver & shake and lie curled up in the corner of their cage with bewildered looks on their faces, like "when are my people coming to get me".

CDUB98
AG
Ag_07
AG
Surprised it took this thread that long to go down that derail.
Martin Q. Blank
Your stress and sanity are more important than a dog. Especially with two toddlers. Hope you find a good home for him.
Ozmandius
Is this the Oak Forest facebook page? The faux internet guilt is hilarious.

SPCA has nothing to do with this. Go re-read my posts if you don't understand why.

Still looking for a good home for a good dog.
GoAgs92
AG
Good looking pup!

70 pounds is too big for my tiny yard though.

Good luck
CrossBowAg99
AG
I honestly never knew people gave dogs away before I got on TxAgs. Dad would always "haul off" dogs that we didn't want any more when I was a kid. Most of them got run over on the highway before we could get too attached to them anyways,

I gave my last two a 22LR pill to put them to sleep
ForeverAg
AG
OP says "Great House Dog..." As he is trying to get rid of the dog due to his responsibility requirements in the house

Wut???
NightHawk150
AG
OP, can I come over and play with him? I'd love to meet him and check him out. I've been looking for a dog.
pasquale
AG
Good luck finding him a good home.
Ozmandius
Sure. Whats your email? I'll send over the details.
CrossBowAg99
AG
quote:
Sure. Whats your email? I'll send over the details.
SnowboardAg
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.