Houston
Sponsored by

DownTine's Newest City Park Opens Today!

8,424 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Andy07
Stat Monitor Repairman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Grab your DEET and get ya Gold Bond ready because H-town's newest city park opens this weekend.

The City of Houston spent $1.7 million to bring an abandoned concrete hole-in-the-ground up to code and make it accessible to the public (so long as you got $2, make a online reservation, are over the age of 9 and strictly comply with the rules copied below).

The idea for converting an filthy abandoned water storage tank into a city park started in 2010 when the City hired consultants to find a vendor to demolish the underground reservoir. Nope.

Instead of doing what they were hired to do, the consultants wondered whether they might be able to use the space instead as underground parking, maybe, or to store mulch. However, the 2-inches of stagnant water which covered the bottom of the concrete hole was problematic.

Nothing some public funds can't solve though. The Buffalo Bayou Partnership (read City of Houston) got wind of it. With a $58 million slush fund to burn a giant concrete hole in the ground was f'ing iresistable!

No expenditure of public funds would be complete without plans for a public art program for the space. The City plans on a rotating cadre of artists "to play with light and sound in the cavernous space."

So while you are working away on this Friday afternoon in your office tower, or posting on texags like most of us, rest assured that some taxpayer funded millenial is "playing with light and sound" in a giant concrete hole.

Here are the park rules copied off the parks website. Sounds like a blast!

Rules & Regulations
* No eating, drinking, or gum-chewing in the Cistern
* Littering is prohibited. Please use trash receptacles.
* No sitting, standing, or climbing on the railing, stairways, or ladders.
* Running and excessive noise are not permitted.
* All visitors must comply with instructions or requests from the Buffalo Bayou Park Cistern attendants and staff and must be respectful of others.
* Strollers, roller skates, inline skates, and bicycles are not permitted.
* Backpacks, purses, fanny packs and other bags need to be zipped and closed while inside the Cistern.
* Animals are not permitted.
* Destroying public property is prohibited by Title 19, Chapter 191 of the Government Code of Texas.
* No smoking allowed.
* No children under the age of 9.
* Photography is allowed, however no tripods or stands.
* Full participation in the tour requires walking a distance of one quarter mile. If you require assistance or are unable to walk this distance, please notify the Cistern Attendant upon arrival.
* The Buffalo Bayou Park Cistern is a dim space with no windows. The environment may be challenging for some. If you experience any difficulties, please proceed directly to the nearest exit.
Satellite of Love
Any mean while Breas bayou expansion has no money to help expand the bayou. Leaving area residents to wade out each yearly 100 yr flood!
drumboy
Al Bula
AG
Nothing says "Houston History" like an abandoned subterranean cistern.

On the bright side, this sounds just like a monster movie in the making. Evil mutant mole people could trap everyone inside the cistern and eat them. That would be cooler than walking around in an empty antique water tank.
Texaggie7nine
Welcome back RTT
7nine
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Hey did yall forget to read the Houston Slideshow Chronicle's propaganda piece declaring the cistern a "sacred space?"

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/life/article/A-sacred-space-under-a-rare-hill-7420780.php

That's right: Sacred.

quote:
They had city workers open the hatches on top of the hill. Then, armed with flashlights, the consultants climbed down a skinny metal ladder, into the humid dark.

And there they encountered the sublime.

Sublime! And Sacred! How can you put a price on that?!?

As for the rules...

quote:
* No smoking allowed.
Why the **** would anyone want to go down there if not to smoke pot?
Stat Monitor Repairman
Cistern park FAQ:

Will the City employees hired to run the abandoned Cistern park be eligible for city funded pension?

How many jobs were created or saved with this shovel ready project?

When will we see our first personal injury lawsuit arising out of the abandoned cistern park?

Can I use the abandoned cistern to display a life size model of Shredder and the rest of the TMNT?

Why is it taking so long to access the City's abandoned cistern webcam?

Why do I need to make online reservations to walk through a giant concrete hole?

Is the City's plan to make an abandoned water tank into a signature attraction like the Churchill War Rooms in London or the Paris catacombs?

If someone lit off a firecracker inside the cistern would people inside go deaf?

Can I rent the cistern for paintball?

Does the $2 cistern tour end in the cistern park gift shop?

Should I tip my cistern tour guide?

Can I rent part of the cistern to farm mushrooms using Buffalo Bayou fecal matter as fertilizer?

Can i get a permit to have a laser light show and fog machine inside the cistern?

How high do my platform shoes need to be to wade through the stagnant water at the bottom of the cistern?

Can Zilka carrying mosquitoes access the cistern?

If I fart in the cistern, how long will it take to dissipate?

In a couple of years, can we name the cistern after Anise Parker?

Does the cistern allow open carry, concealed carry, neither or both?

I've got some clients coming in from Tokyo, how to I explain to them that this is an abandoned water tank city park I've taken them to and not a sewer?
Texaggie7nine
quote:
Can I rent the cistern for paintball?

It actually looks like a good counterstrike death match map.

Lasers and fog machine would be a good idea as well
Stereo live should rent it out for raves.

I also think a good idea would be to let the dude that did the the tunnel at MFAH do a big exibit down there.
7nine
Ag_N_Houston
AG
How long before they find the first dead body?
P.H. Dexippus
AG
mikefromdilley
AG
Going to be an amazing haunted house in October.
bigtruckguy3500
Lots of pictures here: http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Houston-s-Buffalo-Bayou-Park-Cistern-to-open-to-7404503.php#photo-5108361
mm98
AG
Looks like a blast????

schmendeler
AG
"Amazing serenity" and "contemplative magic"?
Satellite of Love
Come on down and see Houston very own mosquito farm!!! Get you Zika and West Nile viruses for only $2!

We are a city in a swamp climate with heavy mosquito population during the summers. What out of town group though it was a good idea to keep a standing water storage site open?
P.H. Dexippus
AG
What is the risk of death when visiting on a rainy day?
Bondag
AG
There is a cistern in Istanbul that is a tourist attraction and has been in multiple movies including From Russia With Love.

It was also built in the 500s so that could have something to do with why people want to go there.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Are silent discos allowed?
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
There are no silent discos when you've got the music in your soul.
The Milkman
AG
I for one welcome a place where children under the age of 9 are not allowed. I cant throw a stick these days without hitting some germbag running around screaming.
Stat Monitor Repairman
I give it a couple months before cizizzturn mania runs its course and it gets shut down for lack of interest and cost.

Don't worry though, the nutjobs responsible for this debacle will save face by claiming the cizizzzturn is now only open for "private events and exhibits."
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
There is a cistern in Istanbul that is a tourist attraction and has been in multiple movies including From Russia With Love.

It was also built in the 500s so that could have something to do with why people want to go there.

Yeah, something built by Justinian I 1500 years ago and contains artifacts from ancient Rome which looks like this:

is absolutely comparable to this:

Bondag
AG
I am sure someone will paint a Medusa head on the wall at some point and call it art.

And if I remember right the Medusa heads are older than the cistern and were used more or less as a footing because they were the right size. That is why the other one is sideways.
aggiedent
AG
Looks pretty dang cool to me. I'd like to see it. Sorry, I know I'm suppose to be miserably unhappy over the whole thing being saved, but in fact I really don't give a crap. So, I'll go see it some time.
Bondag
AG
Ill walk over there if it is a pretty afternoon, but I'm not spending more than $2 on it.
I Play With Guns
S
From the cistern in Istanbul when I was there in February.......

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Breathtaking and so beautiful.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
I am sure someone will paint a Medusa head on the wall at some point and call it art.

The bar for prized public art is set pretty low around here.
RK
AG
quote:
From the cistern in Istanbul when I was there in February.......
any pics of your rack from that trip?
Stat Monitor Repairman
Istanbul cistern looks legit.

Houston's Cizzturn looks like a flooded freeway underpass.

Speaking of Houston's public art, I kind of miss the billboard size mug of Mayor Lee P. Brown at the exit to IAH. Nothing like arriving home after a long trip and seeing that right out of the gate.
Al Bula
AG
quote:
Looks pretty dang cool to me. I'd like to see it. Sorry, I know I'm suppose to be miserably unhappy over the whole thing being saved, but in fact I really don't give a crap. So, I'll go see it some time.
So if you want to see it, you do in fact give a crap.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
And if I remember right the Medusa heads are older than the cistern and were used more or less as a footing because they were the right size. That is why the other one is sideways.

Pretty much.

There's quite a bit of material in the Basilica Cistern which are considerably older than the rule of Justinian that was likely ruins of earlier Roman and Greek structures which were salvaged for building material.
CW Griswold
quote:

Speaking of Houston's public art, I kind of miss the billboard size mug of Mayor Lee P. Brown at the exit to IAH. Nothing like arriving home after a long trip and seeing that right out of the gate.

It was like our own little slice of Saddam's Baghdad in Southeast Texas.
jpc08
AG
quote:
quote:

You need to Remuv Hate! Harry.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
quote:
quote:

I know the guy that added "ELSE" to the end of that tag. Apparently caused quite an uproar in the hipster/tryhard/artartart/neckbeard scene around town.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.