Houston
Sponsored by

How many points did the Pearland officers win for a 5 hour freeway closure?

4,456 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by htownag10
ThunderCougarFalconBird
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
All 288 lanes closed from 3am until 8am for a one car accident.

quote:
A red sports car appears to have jumped a freeway guardrail and collided with a large light pole.
Wreck appeared not to even be on the main lanes.
bigjag19
AG
Fatality always shuts down.
combat wombat™
AG
quote:
Seriously? That's a total load of BS, if so.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
quote:
For 5 hours for a single car accident where the car wasn't even on the freeway? I would understand 5 hours if it was a multi-vehicle incident but this was one car that was not on the road.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Bellaire PD will shut down the West Loop for a fender bender in the far right lane, so 5 hours for a fatality seems pretty reasonable.
Big Cat `93
AG
It was on the main lanes. I went by there at ~4:30. Had to take the feeder to get around it.

Surprised this doesn't happen more often. People go all Smokey and the Bandit on that road in the wee hours.
Token
AG
sportscar? That car is not even close to a sportscar.
bigjag19
AG
quote:
sportscar? That car is not even close to a sportscar.

Well not anymore.
Gen. Cornrow Wallace
Alright, let's go over this again...

A fatality accident shuts the freeway down because an investigation must occur. Even if the car ended up off of the main lanes, it surely didn't start that way, and there are likely tire marks and pieces of evidence scattered across multiple lanes of traffic that must be measured, photographed, and documented. Next, the ME must come out to collect the body, and in my experience, their response time is usually 1 - 1.5 hours. Judging by the few photos I have seen, the body was still entrapped inside the car, which necessitated extrication by the fire department, once the investigation was complete. Since the vehicle was significantly wrapped around the support pillar, this would have been an extended extrication.

Fatality accidents on the freeway are an inconvenience to commuters, but I struggle to understand how some of you blame police and fire for that inconvenience. They don't want to be there either.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
quote:
They don't want to be there either.
Then why take a job where that is part of the description. If you don't want to be there, don't take money from the taxpayers.
randy828
AG
Gen is correct. They have to get this stuff measured and figured out, cross their t's and dot their i's because you can rest assured the family of the deceased will lawyer up and sue whoever they can.

They also have to get a coroner there too correct? Just to certify the deceased is really deceased? Tons of things that have to be done by the book...sorry EDIT...overlooked where GEN stated about ME showing up.

Sux, but that happens. You should get mad at the person who drove recklessly (if that was the case, which would seem to be in a one car accident).

We had a motorcycle/car accident outside our office once that shut down the road for hours as they were taking the measurements, etc.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
How is them shutting down the freeway any different from driving 518 on a Saturday afternoon? But the schools are great, right?
htownag10
AG
quote:
quote:
Then why take a job where that is part of the description. If you don't want to be there, don't take money from the taxpayers.
This guy sounds fun to hangout with. Takes everything literally
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
quote:

He probably means they don't like the fact that someone died in an accident either, jackass. Take the Tea Party **** to another board.
htownag10
AG
Nailed it. EOT
Buck O Five
AG
A coroner is not needed, a paramedic can pronounce someone dead.
AgLA06
AG
quote:
A coroner is not needed, a paramedic can pronounce someone dead.

They going to take the body too?
Post removed:
by user
MouthBQ98
AG
Asses situation for survivors: 5min
Block off adequate lanes for safety: 10 min
Take pics while ems/FD remove bodies: 20 min
Wrecker that junker outta there: 20 min
Throw up tape or cones for any damaged infrastructure: 5 min
Start directing traffic to get it moving again: 20 min.

The objective should be to GTF outta the way if there are no lives at risk any longer. I'm for the popo keeping a few small loaders with grapple attachments on trailers so they can run out and drag dead vehicles off the roadway ASAP.
Buck O Five
AG
A death deserves a proper investigation.
Gen. Cornrow Wallace
Clearly, some still do not understand how this works. Let's try again.

Blindey, yes, we took the job knowing that we would see some nasty stuff, but does that mean that we want to see nasty stuff? I can assure you that all of us have seen things that we will never be able to forget and I can also assure you that, given the choice, we would rather these situations not occur. We will respond nonetheless, but we'd prefer that the accident never happened in the first place. It can be emotionally taxing.

Buck O Five, we as fire and EMS can pronounce someone DOS; however, that does not remove the need for a fatality investigation by the police and body removal by the ME.

And lastly, MouthBQ98, who has clearly never dealt with this type of situation before. You do not simply show up, scrape someone off the ground or out of the car, load them up, and call it a day. Fire or EMS declares the patient dead, the police must launch an investigation - which requires measurements, photos, diagrams, etc. - the fire department must cut the victim out of the tangled mess, and the wreckers must clear all vehicles and debris from the roadway. This takes time and the reason that the entire freeway is shut down is so that the responders don't have to worry about someone else plowing into the scene while they are working. You said something about no lives being at risk any longer (after the patient is declared dead), but you need to understand that the responders' lives are at risk the entire time they are operating on an open freeway. This is the reason for the closure and you can be damn sure that I will shut the freeway down to protect my guys from that risk.
T Durden
AG
Agree with all this. Thanks for all you guys do.
CrossBowAg99
AG
quote:
And lastly, MouthBQ98, who has clearly never dealt with this type of situation before. You do not simply show up, scrape someone off the ground or out of the car, load them up, and call it a day. Fire or EMS declares the patient dead, the police must launch an investigation - which requires measurements, photos, diagrams, etc. - the fire department must cut the victim out of the tangled mess, and the wreckers must clear all vehicles and debris from the roadway. This takes time and the reason that the entire freeway is shut down is so that the responders don't have to worry about someone else plowing into the scene while they are working. You said something about no lives being at risk any longer (after the patient is declared dead), but you need to understand that the responders' lives are at risk the entire time they are operating on an open freeway. This is the reason for the closure and you can be damn sure that I will shut the freeway down to protect my guys from that risk.
I think that Mouth was looking at it from a purely economic perspective. For example, a lot of money is lost in fuel and peoples time when you shut a freeway down for hours due to a fatality. It is not like the dead person is going to come back to life. Get them off the road and open the road.
Al Bula
AG
Brazoria County
schmellba99
AG
I drove by it at around 0345 or so. I cannot comprehend how the car got where it did. The freeway being shut down was necessary for this thing - one there was a fatality and two the way the car was leaned against the pole was not sometbing you just hook a tow truck up to and go on your merry way. It was a jacked up accident, no doubt.

5 hours was probably somewhat excessive though.
NICU Dad
AG
so much fail on this thread.

Wallace is 100% correct.

I rode trucks in Pearland for 12 yrs before retiring from the fire service. I can assure you FD and PD do not want the roadways closed any longer than necessary. Why? Because we have to sit on the scene that entire time. I can think of about 100 other things I'd rather do than babysit a corpse in a mangled car.

And first responders certainly don't do the job for the money because there is no money in that job.

And for mouth's time hacks - LAUGHABLE.
Madman
AG
Noticed it had handicapped plates. Maybe the person's illness caused the accident? Seizure or the like.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
Brazoria County
Actually where the accident was fell within the Harris County jurisdiction. Clear Creek is the northern boundary of Brazoria County; this accident was about 3/4 mile north of that. HTH.
Bregxit
AG
quote:
Noticed it had handicapped plates. Maybe the person's illness caused the accident? Seizure or the like.
My general observation is handicap tags are a good indicator of a ****ty driver and said ****ty driving is probably how they ended up with handicap tags to begin with.
longeryak
The first three hours were preserving the scene for the 2 hours of photos and measurements once the sun came up.
agracer
AG
quote:
Alright, let's go over this again...

A fatality accident shuts the freeway down because an investigation must occur. Even if the car ended up off of the main lanes, it surely didn't start that way, and there are likely tire marks and pieces of evidence scattered across multiple lanes of traffic that must be measured, photographed, and documented. Next, the ME must come out to collect the body, and in my experience, their response time is usually 1 - 1.5 hours. Judging by the few photos I have seen, the body was still entrapped inside the car, which necessitated extrication by the fire department, once the investigation was complete. Since the vehicle was significantly wrapped around the support pillar, this would have been an extended extrication.

Fatality accidents on the freeway are an inconvenience to commuters, but I struggle to understand how some of you blame police and fire for that inconvenience. They don't want to be there either.
You mean like that guy that dies of a heart attack a few years back on the North Loop at I-45 and they shut the whole freeway down for like 8-hours...he ran into the back of a semi, then had a heart attack. And it was a very low speed accident. Hardly damaged the van he was driving.

WTF exactly would take 8-hours to photograph/document in an accident like that?
AgLA06
AG
You know what happened because of that 8 hours. They didn't and did the due diligence everyone on here usually *****es about when robberies aren't pursued or they're giving out tickets. While we might not care, your mom would if you had been the guy that croaked.

But keep complaining about your inconvenience.
htownag10
AG
TexAgs... The place where a person can die and people will complain about it being inconvenient.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.