Houston
Sponsored by

Best Chinese restaurant around downtown?

5,663 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ElCheAg
clintaggie04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got some people in town for OTC staying at Hilton Americas by George R Brown. Any suggestions other than Kim Son?
Spore Ag
Yao Mings is supposed to be popular with Main Land Chinese. I think of Kim Son as more vietnamese and if you want that try Huynh on St. Emanuel which is great and byob.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Not Chinese, but Vietnamese. Huynh over by Little Woodrows and Lucky's is my favorite Asian restaurant in town. Probably top 3 or 4 favorite restaurants.
Ag_07
AG
UberEATS and get Mala
Fall92
AG
China Garden.
HeightsAg
Not downtown but Mala in Montrose is the right answer.
Duck Blind
AG
Loved Yaos until the news showed they had a roach infestation recently. That was it for me.

Edited to add Kam's on Montrose is solid. Top 3 for me.
ElCheAg
AG
China Town. It's across from the Toyota Center garage
Ciboag96
quote:
Loved Yaos until the news showed they had a roach infestation recently.

Authentic!
Ag_07
AG
quote:
Loved Yaos until the news showed they had a roach infestation recently. That was it for me.

Edited to add Kam's on Montrose is solid. Top 3 for me.

There's not a Chinese restaurant, or any restaurant for that matter, that doesn't have a few roaches in it.
Texaggie7nine
quote:
I think you mean China Garden.

It's not fancy but it's quite legit.
7nine
StEdsCOOG
Lemon chicken and egg rolls at China Garden. My families been going there for years. Hell, my youngest brother who is 32 was almost born there.
clintaggie04
AG
We did China Garden. It was very good and a really short walk from the Hilton. Thanks!
Astroag
AG
The answer is cooking girl in montrose...EOT

If ya ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin!!!
ElCheAg
AG
quote:
quote:
I think you mean China Garden.

It's not fancy but it's quite legit.

You are correct.
metrag06
AG
quote:
Not Chinese, but Vietnamese. Huynh over by Little Woodrows and Lucky's is my favorite Asian restaurant in town. Probably top 3 or 4 favorite restaurants.
This +1
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
I like Kim Son a lot
clintaggie04
AG
quote:
I like Kim Son a lot

I do too but i took the same guys there the last time they were here.
ChipFTAC01
AG
The #71 is one of my favorite dishes anywhere. I've never seen those big fried noodles at any other vietnamese restaurant. They're the best.
PetrolAg
AG
I have dreams about the beef short ribs at Huynh
lunchbox
quote:
The #71 is one of my favorite dishes anywhere. I've never seen those big fried noodles at any other vietnamese restaurant. They're the best.
+1
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
quote:
quote:
I like Kim Son a lot

I do too but i took the same guys there the last time they were here.
Not downtown, but I REALLY liked Ginger and Fork. It is over by Cadillac bar. It is more traditional chinese food than the majority of places around town.
metrag06
AG
We don't live in Houston anymore so I haven't been to Huynh in about a year.

Haven't found anything in the metroplex that's anywhere close to being as good.
ChipFTAC01
AG
It's not Vietnamese, but I always liked Royal thai at Lovers & Greenville.
RK
AG
get the f*** off of this board.
BoxingAg84
I've been eating at China Garden for years. I asked an Asian co-worker of mine a few months ago if he eats there and he replied by saying, "I'll guarantee that you'll never see an Asian eating in there. We hate China Garden".

He refused to say why, which I found odd.

But he did say that usually when you eat Mexican food, you'll see Mexicans dining there too. When you eat Soul Food, you'll see Black people dining there. Indian restaurants have Indian people dining there etc. But Asians refuse to eat at China Garden.

Turns out he was right. The last three times I went, I didn't see a single Asian dining there. The next time I go, I just might have to ask the owner Carrol if there's any validity behind the claims.

SlackerAg
AG
For Thai food, there's Nit Noi on the edge of downtown.
LeftyAg89
AG
you'll see Americans eating at McDonalds all the time! That must be some awesome American food!
MelvinUdall
Although Vietnamese, I love Mai's on Milam.
digging tunnels
AG
quote:
I've been eating at China Garden for years. I asked an Asian co-worker of mine a few months ago if he eats there and he replied by saying, "I'll guarantee that you'll never see an Asian eating in there. We hate China Garden".

But he did say that usually when you eat Mexican food, you'll see Mexicans dining there too. When you eat Soul Food, you'll see Black people dining there. Indian restaurants have Indian people dining there etc. But Asians refuse to eat at China Garden.

Turns out he was right. The last three times I went, I didn't see a single Asian dining there. The next time I go, I just might have to ask the owner Carrol if there's any validity behind the claims.

The rule definitely applies to Asian restaurants. If you don't see a lot of Asians in it, then it's not that great. There is a reason we don't venture out of Chinatown.

I grew up going to Kim Son all the time (the original one a few blocks away) 20-25 years ago. The current one is not as good as it once was but I still like it and go every once in awhile.

Been to Huynh only once and it didn't impress me much. I'll have to give it another shot
AMW2010
AG
Hung long on 249/1960 is legit!
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
quote:
quote:

The rule definitely applies to Asian restaurants. If you don't see a lot of Asians in it, then it's not that great. There is a reason we don't venture out of Chinatown.

I grew up going to Kim Son all the time (the original one a few blocks away) 20-25 years ago. The current one is not as good as it once was but I still like it and go every once in awhile.

Been to Huynh only once and it didn't impress me much. I'll have to give it another shot
HtownAg92
AG
Mexicans, Indians, Persians, Vietnamese etc. will eat at those restaurants in Houston because the food is actually something that resembles food from their home countries.

Unless they are multiple generation Chinese-Americans, they aren't going to eat "Americanized" Chinese food - sweet and sour pork, egg rolls, General Tso's Chicken, etc. Their parents / grandparents from China wouldn't know what that was or cook it at home.

Go to Chinatown and every place (especially those that don't even have English signage) is packed with Chinese eating authentic dishes from their country.

That doesn't make the place bad, just not authentic and not catered to Chinese people.
agdoc84
China Garden is the correct answer !
65532ag
Trick question. There are no good chinese restaurants around downtown. 888 in gulfgate off 45 and woodway is the closest to downtown that is decent.

Theee is decent vietnemese and thai though.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.