Houston
Sponsored by

Opinions on buying a house on a public golf course

3,563 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ferris Wheel Allstar
JYDog90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
XPosted on golf board

We're looking at a house on the WindRose golf course.

Country club living is certainly appealing but is there a difference between country club living and golf course living?

We'd live about 60 yds from a green so that has huge appeal. My youngest son wants to play so I could see this being an ideal place--go out and hit balls at dusk, I've always thought that would be really cool.

It seems like it's not very well maintained, sign out front of clubhouse says, "Under new management," we're standing in the backyard and a couple of mulleted golfers pull up to their ball about 15 yds away and I was thinking, "hmm, there may be some differences I haven't thought of."

I don't want to make a huge purchase and in hindsight regret it. Anybody have any insight?
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Remember they usually cut the grass at day break. Might not matter to some.
gindaloon
AG
Biggest concern should be what happens if the course shutters and a developer buys it to turn into another development of some kind. Golf is struggling with less and less people taking up the sport and more golf courses closing than opening every year for the last 8-10 years.
Ag_07
AG
Certainly a difference in country club living and Windrose living.

Keep this in mind that public golf courses, and I guess golf courses in general, change ownership pretty often and are also liable to shut down completely.

What it's like now may not be what's it's like in 6 months, 2 years, 5 years, etc. At the rate golf courses are selling nowadays it may not even be a golf course in 5 years.
Vernada
AG
What hole are you close to?

The bigger the number, the more drunks you'll see.
Jackal99
AG
My mom's aunt and uncle lived on a golf course in Ohio. They liked it, but had to replace their backyard sliding glass door more than a few times.
JYDog90
AG
Good point. 14
Visor Guy
AG
Parents live on a semi-private course and I have had friends live on Windrose. Problems are the same as on a private course, golf balls in yard or on house, guys acting like idiots, maintenance guys working at daybreak, etc. All in all, it is a good experience and I don't see Windrose folding.
JYDog90
AG
Yeah, I don't know how many rounds they do a year but it looked pretty stacked up on Sunday.
Fairview
AG
I live on a golf course and love it but there are a few things to consider. Most I think I have been mentioned but I will give you my experience.

The number one thing is your proximity to the hole. I'm by a tee box so the chance of me having issues with balls is minimal. The other extreme is some houses are positioned badly on the fairway and have major issues with balls. Not a broken window or two every couple years but balls hitting the house daily. You also have houses in between those extremes most homes fall into.

In my observance of the golfers there are two types. The serious guys which is about 20% and the people just having a good time and suck which is about 80%. My house is by the tee box and yesterday a dude somehow hit a ball almost sideways that almost went into my yard.

I personally haven't had an issue with them being loud (you do heat the occasional ****, or f bomb when they whiff a shot but it's usually funny to watch), drunk or leaving trash around but I suspect that will vary per course.

The maintenance crews can come early but to date haven't bothers me in the mornings. Like others said it will be backed up on the weekends so you lose a little privacy.

I haven't had to do this but I spoke to a neighbor that lost a window and the golfers left and he said you just call the clubhouse if there's an issue and they jump on it immediately.

All that said, to me it's a nice view and way better than a shared fence with a backyard neighbor.

ccolley68
AG
It may not be country club, but I would think a public course is still better than nothing but another house. My brother lives on a public course, by the green. No issues with bad shots hitting the house. Misuses with noise or golfers. He has three kids under 5 and no one misses sleep due to course noise.
JayAggie
AG
Disclaimer - never lived on a golf course BUT....

1) Wind Rose is pretty desirable area so I doubt the course will be sold off. I mean they're adding homes along TC Jester right now that are even pricier.

2) New Management isn't always a bad thing - they could always be transitioning to a private club. Glenlochh Farms is private and Wind Rose may be trying to go that route too. I'm just throwing an idea out there, this is not based on anything I've heard.

3) As for the maintenance, I drive past multiple courses too and from work and Wind Rose quite a bit. I suspect it has more to do with how saturated the ground is currently and not wanting to cause any damage to the playing surfaces.
jja79
AG
Gleannloch isn't private.

I don't know how these public courses make it with the amount of maintenance they have.
Ag_07
AG
quote:
Gleannloch isn't private.

I don't know how these public courses make it with the amount of maintenance they have.

Mezcuns brah
XpressAg09
AG
14 has houses only on the right side of the fairway. Expect to have people all up in your area because of the slice.

Plus, it's a Par 5, so Tin Cups tryna make the green in 2 are gonna hit your house.

It's a nice hole though.
Bondag
AG
quote:
14 has houses only on the right side of the fairway. Expect to have people all up in your area because of the slice.

Plus, it's a Par 5, so Tin Cups tryna make the green in 2 are gonna hit your house.

It's a nice hole though.
Is 14 the one that is long and straight, but has water back to the left of the green? I think you are safe if you are behind that one as the tin cups arent going to have a 200 yard shot in the air that could hit the house. That being said I have probably hit a ball in that yard.
XpressAg09
AG
Yes. Here it is on the google. I'm assuming OP is looking at one of the houses near the pin.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/30%C2%B003'52.5%22N+95%C2%B030'26.4%22W/@30.0645824,-95.5084715,501m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0
Ag_07
AG
According to HAR the only house on the market is the one that's second from the end.

That's short of the green so it's probably a pretty busy landing area. As others have posted expect quite a few golf balls in your yard.

Also on HAR the photos show it's located right where carts are coming back to the path so lots of cart traffic right over your fence.
Bondag
AG
I have definitely played out of that yard.
Ag_07
AG
OP...Now that we all know where you're buying, let us know when you close so we can come over for a round of golf and a pool party.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
I could never live on a course, I already debate our neighborhood lawn guys when they strike up the mower before 10am.
JYDog90
AG
I love texags. But y'all are frightening. Forget the mulleted golfers, now I'm more concerned about you mulleted texaggers.
XpressAg09
AG
I'd like to think we're providing quality assistance here. I've been known to slice and by the 14th hole, I definitely think I can reach a 500 yard green in two.
Ag_07
AG
He's about 50 yards in front of it so he's in the trouble zone for sure.

Whether it's someone trying for the green or someone laying it up his windows don't stand a chance. That and not to mention his wife trying to lay out by the pool while getting mentally undressed by every drunk redneck that rolls by.
XpressAg09
AG
quote:
That and not to mention his wife trying to lay out by the pool while getting mentally undressed by every drunk redneck that rolls by.
Oh he's got a wife??? Well shiit, rule number 1 OP!!!
CrossBowAg99
AG
http://www.har.com/u/02a3fA7c8
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
Biggest concern should be what happens if the course shutters and a developer buys it to turn into another development of some kind. Golf is struggling with less and less people taking up the sport and more golf courses closing than opening every year for the last 8-10 years.
This happened in Inwood Forest. A developer tried to buy the course and put low income housing where the fairways used to be. Meanwhile, house values tanked.
Diggity
AG
Have you asked them about utility bills? With the size of those (presumably single pane) windows and open den, I would imagine they're not cheap.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
quote:
quote:
That and not to mention his wife trying to lay out by the pool while getting mentally undressed by every drunk redneck that rolls by.
Oh he's got a wife??? Well shiit, rule number 1 OP!!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.