Houston
Sponsored by

IMTX 2016 bike course

2,793 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TXTransplant
TXTransplant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just a heads up - Ironman TX is May 14. The bike route was finally released yesterday and it's significantly different than previous years. Most of the race is in north Harris Co and includes some heavily traveled roads, including the I-45 frontage road, the Hardy, 1960, Sawdust, 2920, Kuykendahl, Cypresswood, and Spring Steubner.

The map can be found here
http://m.ironman.com/~/media/ea3d3166543b4889a6d38183eb302879/2016%20im%20tx%20athlete%20guide%204%2029%201.pdf#page17.

Now that the course has been released, you will also likely see racers on the course practicing over the next few weeks.
Zemira
AG
Okay I promise not to play frogger with my car and the bicyclists.
chico
AG
Avoiding Waller County?
TXTransplant
quote:
Avoiding Waller County?

Yep. The old route was not approved by Montgomery and/or Waller Co officials because of road construction.
Ag_07
AG
Sounds like an OTL problem.
CDUB98
AG
140.6*
Al Bula
AG
How much of CF will this race be? I see that bike course has been shortened but still looks like the whole area will be gridlocked, and I will need to take my folks from TW to IAH that day.

Ironman Texas bike route reduced after recent rains
CDUB98
AG
The area will be an absolute fustercluck all day. The bike course probably won't close until 7 or 8.
TXTransplant
I live in Creekside, which is between miles 50 and 60, and we are being told to expect racers between 9 and 2. Because the race has been shortened, though, they are supposed to revise the "estimated arrival times" for the different streets/intersections. I have not seen that info, though.

There is supposed to be a cutoff time, after which competitors aren't allowed to transition/continue. I'm not really clear on what that time is, though. We've had to beg to get information...no one has been particularly forthcoming.

Depending on where you need to go and what time you need to be there you ~may~ be able to avoid it. But, keep in mind, the marathon is run after the bike race, and that will also impact streets in heart of The Woodlands, including Panther Creek, Woodlands Pkwy, and Lake Woodlands.

The Wonderer
AG
I'm in Augusta Pines right next to West Rayford and this is going to make it a ***** to get out of the neighborhood. Apparently they're using West Rayford from Gosling to Kuykendahl.
TXTransplant
quote:
I'm in Augusta Pines right next to West Rayford and this is going to make it a ***** to get out of the neighborhood. Apparently they're using West Rayford from Gosling to Kuykendahl.

They won't actually be on Gosling. They are taking Spring Steubner to Northcrest to West Rayford. From West Rayford, they take Strake to Creekside Green. They won't affect Kuykendahl going north, but they will be on Kuykendahl southbound from Creekside Green to Hufsmith Kuykendahl Rd.
The Wonderer
AG
Well, it's good they're staying off Gosling; I can only imagine what CF that would create.
TXTransplant
In terms of minimizing disruption, I actually think Gosling would have been a better choice than Kuykendahl ,which is a cluster on a good day. But I'm guessing they specifically chose Kuykendahl because it's 4 lanes and Gosling is only 2.
Al Bula
AG
quote:
I live in Creekside, which is between miles 50 and 60, and we are being told to expect racers between 9 and 2. Because the race has been shortened, though, they are supposed to revise the "estimated arrival times" for the different streets/intersections. I have not seen that info, though.

There is supposed to be a cutoff time, after which competitors aren't allowed to transition/continue. I'm not really clear on what that time is, though. We've had to beg to get information...no one has been particularly forthcoming.

Depending on where you need to go and what time you need to be there you ~may~ be able to avoid it. But, keep in mind, the marathon is run after the bike race, and that will also impact streets in heart of The Woodlands, including Panther Creek, Woodlands Pkwy, and Lake Woodlands.
I'll be along the 90 mile marker. Flintridge is the concern.
TXTransplant
Yeah, you're towards the end of the race. Call The Township office and ask for John Powers. He might have updated "estimated arrival times" to give you.
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
In terms of minimizing disruption, I actually think Gosling would have been a better choice than Kuykendahl ,which is a cluster on a good day. But I'm guessing they specifically chose Kuykendahl because it's 4 lanes and Gosling is only 2.
That's my thought. Plus Gosling is a direct on ramp to the GP; Kuykendahl is not.
TXTransplant
quote:
quote:
That's my thought. Plus Gosling is a direct on ramp to the GP; Kuykendahl is not.

Supposedly next year they will be doing the entire bike course on the GP. I'm wondering if they will take Gosling to get there. Other options would be Grogan's Mill to Sawdust to I-45 Frontage Rd (similar to the route this year) or Kuykendahl (hoping not since the two lane bridge we have now is awful and construction to widen it should be well under way by then).
CDUB98
AG
quote:
I'll be along the 90 mile marker. Flintridge is the concern.
Yeah, with you being near the end of the ride, you'll be farked all day. The slower races won't be ending their ride until close to the times above.

If you want, go take a look at the rules for maximum times. If you make it through the transition point from swim to bike, I think you will be allowed to complete the ride.

So, take a look at the swim/ride cut-off and add about 6-7 hours.

I guess if you look at it from that perspective, the ride end time will be a few hours earlier than I posted.
TXTransplant
We've been told that bikers who reach the aid station between miles 50 and 60 (at the Creekside YMCA) will be pulled from the race. So, traffic in that immediate area should start to clear after that.

We are also being told that at least some of the lanes in which the cyclists travel will not be closed to automobile traffic. Meaning cars will be able to drive in lanes with cyclists. This makes no sense to me and sounds dangerous, but I was already planning on avoiding those lanes anyway.
TXTransplant
Bump...this is tomorrow.
htownag10
AG
Setting up a water balloon launcher to bombard the bikers on northcrest haha
Al Bula
AG
Lake Woodlands Dr was a cluster at lunchtime today.
htownag10
AG
Pretty much if you live between kuykendahl and gosling don't leave your house. Running my errands at 7 am tomorrow.
03_Aggie
Is this going to screw up the main lanes on 45? If so, how early does it start so I know if its possible to get through there before it happens?
TXTransplant
This is the latest published traffic info with the times each road is affected.

http://m.woodlandsonline.com/npps/story.cfm?nppage=58112

They will be on the I-45 frontage road around Rayford/Sawdust, between Cypresswood and 1960, and near Spring Steubner. Who knows how it might affect traffic, as they have never done this route before. I would avoid those parts of 45, if possible, though.
Neches21
quote:
Supposedly next year they will be doing the entire bike course on the GP
I had heard TxDOT was very opposed to any involvement of the grand parkway.
I've also heard that the political climate in Montgomery County and general opposition to this race probably means that 2016 is the last year it will happen in The Woodlands.
We'll see though.
TXTransplant
quote:
quote:
I've also heard that the political climate in Montgomery County and general opposition to this race probably means that 2016 is the last year it will happen in The Woodlands.
We'll see though.

I heard the same thing this week from a friend who is pretty high up at HCTRA. Evidently, the talk about them going to the Grand Parkway next year was just a CYA for the cluster this year. And Mo Co officials have no intention of letting the race back onto their roads.
Al Bula
AG
Hope you're right about not being in the Mo Co after this year.
Neches21
Yea I'm all about tourism and economic development but being trapped in my neighborhood on a Saturday is not OK.
LostInLA07
AG
quote:
quote:
We'll see though.

Good.
TXTransplant
I just talked to an HPD officer who is stationed at the entrance to my 'hood and asked him how today is going to go. He said the cyclists have a lead bike that typically leads the pack by about 15 minutes. Once he sees that lead bike, he cannot let anyone through the intersection. He can't let anyone through the intersection until he sees the trailing bike that designates the back of the pack.

They also cannot control bikers riding in the opposite lane. So, on two lane roads, expect the entire road to be blocked (not just the one designated cycling lane).

Oops on the emoticon, but I guess it's really not an inaccurate description of how some of us feel...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.