Houston
Sponsored by

Best "affordable" private schools in Houston?

18,417 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by DustysLineup
CDUB98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Our daughter is currently in a Pre-K program at a private school that runs through the 8th grade, but we're noticing that several parents are pulling their kids after the Pre-K and going to other private schools.

Yesterday, my wife asked one of the moms about this and she had heard rumblings that the teaching was not as good after the Pre-K program.

So, just for S&G's let's take that as true.

What are the better private schools that run from K-8, or even K-high school?

I know affordable is relative, but some place like Kinkaid is out of the price range. That is what I mean.
Martin Q. Blank
Where do you live?
WES2006AG
AG
It is very probable that the private school you are at is fine and these other parents are just being uppity *****es.
Ag_07
AG
quote:
It is very probable that the private school you are at is fine and these other parents are just being uppity *****es.

Yeah but you can never be too cautious when it comes to your children. That's why it's always a good move to make important life choices based on unsubstantiated 'rumblings' you hear through the grapevine.
RK
AG
i wouldn't be where I am today without an excellent 2nd grade teacher. really equipped me well for life.
AggieT
AG
Our son is in Kindergarten at The Kipling School, and will be there for first grade next year. We have been very impressed with the school and teachers, and he loves it. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions. Without looking it up, I believe we are paying ~$18,000 including summer and after school care.
The Milkman
AG
quote:
i wouldn't be where I am today without an excellent 2nd grade teacher. really equipped me well for life.

At that age it's not about the teacher or material as much as it who you want your children surrounded by.

Read that anyway you'd like
schmendeler
AG
quote:
quote:

At that age it's not about the teacher or material as much as it who you want your children surrounded by.

Read that anyway you'd like
sounds like an endorsement for a well rounded childhood experience in public schools to me
BMX Bandit
The mnichols bat signal has been activated
CDUB98
AG
quote:
The mnichols bat signal has been activated
Oh, ****.
vikitor14
If you don't mind a religious affiliation, Epiphany Lutheran School is great. I know some of the teachers there and they're wonderful. It goes through 8th grade. Tuition ends up being under $10K/yr with aftercare, I believe. For hs, a lot of the students go to either Lutheran High North or Concordia Lutheran HS. I've also known people to attend Houston Christian HS as well.
Diggity
AG
The Catholic schools tend to be less expensive than some others. Most are 8-9K for that age group I believe.
T Durden
AG
quote:

Where are you today?
Ducks4brkfast
AG
quote:
If you don't mind a religious affiliation, Epiphany Lutheran School is great. I know some of the teachers there and they're wonderful. It goes through 8th grade. Tuition ends up being under $10K/yr with aftercare, I believe. For hs, a lot of the students go to either Lutheran High North or Concordia Lutheran HS. I've also known people to attend Houston Christian HS as well.

aaaand he's here
BrazosDog02
AG
quote:
Yesterday, my wife asked one of the moms about this and she had heard rumblings that the teaching was not as good after the Pre-K program.

Well, worst case scenario is that your kids are quite as prepared as your friends kids, but still several levels above most of the competition from public schools. That's who you will be competing with anyway.

TXAG 05
AG
quote:
Our son is in Kindergarten at The Kipling School, and will be there for first grade next year. We have been very impressed with the school and teachers, and he loves it. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions. Without looking it up, I believe we are paying ~$18,000 including summer and after school care.

$18,000 a year for kindergarten? Are you wearing white gloves and can I sell you a ketchup popsicle?
dreyOO
But do you get a 10% discount on the second kid?

Seriously, a quarter mill paid before the kid even gets to college. Damn
Ag_07
AG
And there is still a chance he turns out to be a loser

I don't have kids, but growing up going to HISD schools I realized that often times parents put too much emphasis on the school their child attends. Raise the kid right and teach them the importance of education and work ethic and they'll thrive in any environment.

It's the parents and the household that put the kid on the right track, not the school and the teacher. I know way too many private school kids who turned out to deadbeats and public school kids who are now very successful to put that much stock into schools.
BMX Bandit
The children that attend school with your kids makes an enormous difference on how they learn and turn out. The idea that the school doesn't matter if the kid has good parents has no basis in fact.

There's a reason people move to a location for the schools.
RK
AG
i think that's true to a point, but the curve begins to flatten.
Ag_07
AG
I said too much emphasis.

I think it makes some difference but many parents seem to think it makes all the difference. Think the law of diminishing returns kicks in way sooner than some realize.
swimmerbabe11
http://www.memoriallutheranschool.org/
BMX Bandit
Raise the kid right and teach them the importance of education and work ethic and they are much much more likely to thrive in an environment with children whose parents are doing the same.
schmendeler
AG
quote:
The children that attend school with your kids makes an enormous difference on how they learn and turn out. The idea that the school doesn't matter if the kid has good parents has no basis in fact.

There's a reason people move to a location for the schools.

there's a reason alright.
CDUB98
AG
You idiots are screwing up my thread.
vikitor14
quote:
quote:

aaaand he's here

I'm not a he?
H-town ag
AG
quote:
What part of town are you searching?

My kids are at First Baptist Academy (I-10 at 610 West) and we are really pleased with the teachers, administration and community. FBA is a PreK- 8th grade school. Let me know if you have any questions.
Buck O Five
AG
This is more general observation than related to the OP's younger ones.

I work in new residential construction, and all day every day, parents are working to get their kids into the top high school.

All the best and brightest competing against each other for a few slots at the top 10% for college admission. Meanwhile, kids at the 3rd or 4th best high school in the district sail through with offers from A&M. Keep that end goal in mind.
Diggity
AG
As has been mentioned before, if your kid is a driven, self-motivated person that doesn't succumb to peer pressure easily, they'll probably do well anywhere. They'll do better at a school that has the resources and teachers that can challenge them, but they'll likely be fine.

It's the more middle of the road kids that might need a little more help that will suffer at these lower tier schools.

I had plenty of friends from middling public schools that have done great but many more of them washed out before even finishing college. The parenting probably had a lot to do with it, but there's nothing wrong with trying to give your kid a leg up.
gindaloon
AG
quote:
I know way too many private school kids who turned out to deadbeats and public school kids who are now very successful to put that much stock into schools.
You could easily say the opposite as well.
Diggity
AG
of course...and the numbers would back you up.
AlaskanAg99
AG
I'd rather read the armchair psycho babble and financial analyst on the OP.
combat wombat™
CDUB98
AG
quote:
quote:
What part of town are you searching?

My kids are at First Baptist Academy (I-10 at 610 West) and we are really pleased with the teachers, administration and community. FBA is a PreK- 8th grade school. Let me know if you have any questions.
We are in this area.
CDUB98
AG
quote:
I'd rather read the armchair psycho babble and financial analyst on the OP.
WTF are you talking about?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.