Houston
Sponsored by

Xfinity internet?

4,470 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Sazerac
UTex09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Currently have Uverse for TV and internet, have considered swapping the uverse internet for the xfinity internet. Currently pay outrageous prices for only 18mbps down with ATT, and for $10 more/mo with no contract I can get 150 (supposedly) down with Xfinity. I'll be leaving tv with uverse since that's my wife's area. Can anyone comment on the reliability of xfinity in Houston? I had Comcast years and years ago in Austin and it was ****, but wanted to get some feedback from the Houston area, specifically about reliability. One thing I can say about uverse is that it basically never goes out.
12whoop
AG
I really enjoy my xfinity service... my internet tests at 120 mbps and I really haven't had too bad of a problem with their customer service.. I just switched my parents over to xfinity and they paid for faster internet so their service tests in the 170 mbps range
TX scallywAG
AG
My Xfinity service is also great (Spring).

Your ATT TV bill will sky rocket when you pull internet off your services.

I have Dish satellite TV + Comcast internet. It was the best products at the price point when I did my research.

I posted $50 off Dish codes in this thread if you start looking at TV as well:
http://texags.com/forums/50/topics/2662988/replies/44026372#44026372
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
AgDaddy08-11
S
I have Xfinity as well, Performance Pro / Blast upgrade. It's great. Even when the tv service goes out which is very rare the internet has always been rock solid.
Dr. Horrible
In the process of going with xfinity for Internet and cutting the cable cord. Got pissed when they jacked up my uverse 3 straight months. I'll let ya know how it goes, but I'm really looking forward to it.
Al Bula
AG
Had Xfinity in Houston, now with Uverse and live OTGP...

Xfinity was way better.
230Ag
AG
quote:
In the process of going with xfinity for Internet and cutting the cable cord. Got pissed when they jacked up my uverse 3 straight months. I'll let ya know how it goes, but I'm really looking forward to it.

Thats what I did. I have lightning fast xfinity internet for $80 a month. Then I have sling tv (make sure you get the extra sports package for about $5 more) and amazon, showtime on demand, and netflix.

I can watch all of the SEC+ games because you can use your SlingTV password to access WatchESPN.

The only downside is that you can't pause or record live TV with SlingTV, but I'm assuming they are going to find a way to do that soon.
fairviewcrew
I echo all the above... I've had AT&T uverse, direct tv, and Comcast xfinity...

Xfinity is the best by far
Madmarttigan
AG
I don't like comcast, but I can't argue that they have the fastest internet and better on demand options for TV than AT&T.
DrillerAg11
AG
Getting uverse gigapower installed on Thursday. Supposed to be 1 gbps
vansprinkle
AG
Had Uverse, went to Direct and Comcast, now just Xfinity. I'm happy with Xfinity. I'm locked in a 2 year deal where nothing changes. My number one complaint with Hverse was always having to call and haggle a better price.

Plus my internet is fast and my tv works well. I didn't realize that there are like 600 Spanish channels until Xfinity. Luckily I just set my favorites and skip all that crap.

I really liked their setup as well. They just mail everything to you with great instructions and let you have at it. Much better than waiting around all afternoon hoping a tech will show up and plug in a single coax cable.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
We have Xfinity as our main internet and ATT as a back up at our office.

Xfinity is more reliable.

I am actually getting it installed at my house friday as well.
Cromagnum
AG
Wish i had some of these choices. I live just a mile off of 288 and am forced to pay $100 a month for 5/2 internet on a WISP or get Hughesnet. All the providers refuse to run high speed lines in my area.
RAT90
AG
What router do you use with Xfinity?

I have an older Airport Extreme that is a/g/b/n that does not quite reach the back bedroom. Thinking of running an ethernet cord through the attic and using an Airport Exress as an extender.
coastalAg
AG
One thing to consider with Xfinity, they are trialing 300GB/month data caps. I have no cable and stream everything so that would probably cause me issues. I have Uverse who is also in the process of re-implementing monthly data caps, but I will get 600 GB/month which should be enough.
ClickClack
AG
Getting 922 Mbps down and 933 Mbps up every single time I speedtest, with UVerse
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
quote:
One thing to consider with Xfinity, they are trialing 300GB/month data caps. I have no cable and stream everything so that would probably cause me issues. I have Uverse who is also in the process of re-implementing monthly data caps, but I will get 600 GB/month which should be enough.
Where do you see the monthly caps?

I have no clue how much data I will be using at my house. Is 300GB enough to stream about 10 hours/week?
Dr. Horrible
I would go back to Uverse for Internet in a heartbeat if they start offering the gigabit service in my area.
jbryan10
AG
quote:
quote:
Where do you see the monthly caps?

I have no clue how much data I will be using at my house. Is 300GB enough to stream about 10 hours/week?
Problem solved:
http://www.engadget.com/2016/04/27/comcast-bumps-trial-data-caps-to-1tb/
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Good deal. I am in the process of cutting the cord so I got a little worried when I saw the 300GB. I will definitely be ok now.
Dr. Horrible
So first bump in the road with Comcast. No HBOGo service for the PlayStation or TiVo or a few other devices. If you're thinking of doing this, make sure you have a compatible device.

Good thing I still had the Xbox 360 laying around!
Andyzipp
AG
quote:
Getting uverse gigapower installed on Thursday. Supposed to be 1 gbps
What part of town?
TX scallywAG
AG
quote:
So first bump in the road with Comcast. No HBOGo service for the PlayStation or TiVo or a few other devices. If you're thinking of doing this, make sure you have a compatible device.

Good thing I still had the Xbox 360 laying around!

Any apple device linked with TV or any Android device linked with Chromecast ($35) will get HBOGO running.
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
coastalAg
AG
Good to see Comcast upped their data limits to 1TB. I will probably be switching to them now.

To get reasonable pricing for Gigapower from Uverse you have to agree to let them monitor all of your traffic for targeted advertising. If you decline then it costs an extra $40 a month. Thats some bull****.
RVAg02
AG
Long story, but the wiring in my house is pretty lousy. Dish ran a coax for the TV, but I have terrible phone lines for my UVerse.

Will Xfinity come in and run a line for me during install?
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
$88 was what xfinity quoted my installation. The service dude told me if I 'attempt' to set it up, they will come out for free after I call in to help. I have not made it by the storefront to get my hardware to do this though.
RVAg02
AG
Thanks
sts7049
AG
uverse is my only option at my place. been thinking about getting the gigapower service as well.

had no issues at all with xfinity when i had it before.
AGeng25
AG
quote:
$88 was what xfinity quoted my installation. The service dude told me if I 'attempt' to set it up, they will come out for free after I call in to help. I have not made it by the storefront to get my hardware to do this though.

Just do it yourself. If you've had internet before and the wires are all there, should be cake. Beware, Comcast xfinity is just like every other provider - they give you the good deal then jack up the price after a year. My to-do list includes calling them and threatening to leave to see if they cave and give my $25 discount back.
Sazerac
AG
I just signed for for Xfinity. Uverse is running me $140+/month (with Starz, 2 boxes, HD, wifi) and the internet is very slow (especially uploads)

$80/month for 2 yrs for the base 140 channels and 75 Mbps and HBO for 2 years.
X1 DVR free for a year, then $10/month
$10/month modem/router, drop anytime if you buy your own (look to be ~$150?)
Also includes remote access...so you can watch anything on your DVR (cloud) or live.

$105/month after taxes.

during football season +$10/month for NFL redzone/network.

Only bad part is they don't have wireless boxes yet so I'll have to forgo the 2nd room (that I think i've watched twice in a year). I'll just put a roku in there.

Overall didn't save me quite as much as I thought it would.
Sazerac
AG
I already canceled XFINITY!

They sent a summary of my order and
- discount rate was changed from 2 years to 1
- the free HBO was not documented for 2 years
- they added on a $10 HD Tech fee (not equipment, that was separate)
- they charged $40 for installation that was never discussed

It was a complete pain getting someone on the phone, and they would not budge on the terms so I'm out.

I'm guessing I probably just saved myself some serious headaches anyways.
Texaggie7nine
You can opt to install yourself if your home is already set up for xfinity cable.
7nine
Sazerac
AG
I know, but I don't have a cable line coming in due to remodel. And the fact is that I told them this and they said it wouldn't cost anything to get set-up. "We don't charge for things like that."

Everyone told me to avoid them...
jja79
AG
I've seldom had an issue with Xfinity the past 10 years. About 6 months ago they called me and offered a package with all the channels I'd been paying for plus some I didn't have for $60/month less.
LeftyAg89
AG
we have had Xfinity internet for about 10 years, it's been very reliable... we got the cheapest speed I think (12 mg/ 2mg) but it is more than enough speed for us and I think we pay $52/mo
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.