Houston
Sponsored by

HCAD 2016

58,210 Views | 455 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Bassmaster
El Duke
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The 2015 values came out a the end of March last year. I remember a lot on this board upset over the 10% to 30% raises in market value. What will HCAD do this year?

It was pretty apparent that they were about to pound everyone when they published articles in 2014 and 2015 about how great the Houston economy was doing, $100 oil, booming housing market, etc. HCAD is pretty silent these days on the articles but I did notice a recent one they linked from the Chron stating the slowing Houston economy.

My prediction is a solid 10% increase this year.
bigjag19
AG
My ******* already hurts thinking about it.
chjoak
AG
If they are smart they will go with no increase and hope that keeps people from protesting. With the economy down protests will be through the roof, especially if they try to raise again this year.
Diggity
AG
I would expect them to stay the same in most areas.
No change from 2015 to 2016
Mr. McGibblets
AG
They jacking up values on all property types. So prepare thy anus. A lot of appraisers at HCAD used Jubally as evidence to reduce the value of peoples homes. I spoke with several appraisers that I am friends with and they have nothing but high praises for it.

www.jubally.com
Ryan the Temp
AG
I did some major construction on my property, so I'm screwed. HCAD gets to lift the cap for the improvements.

The only thing I can hope helps me is that the garage was not usable on January 1st and there were no permits pulled this year. I do have an appraisal from September for $300K I might take in when I protest.
Diggity
AG
the MLS numbers certainly don't warrant much increase in my general area.

In areas 16 and 17 for example, the average and median prices dropped pretty significantly. Area 20 went up a little bit. 23 stayed about the same.
Martin Q. Blank
quote:
the MLS numbers certainly don't warrant much increase in my general area.

In areas 16 and 17 for example, the average and median prices dropped pretty significantly. Area 20 went up a little bit. 23 stayed about the same.
Where can I find stats for that?
saturn
AG
Got the annual 10% increase notification in the mail yesterday.
Stan Crowch
AG
Diggity
AG
It's through the MLS
Hoyt Ag
AG
1% increase for us.
Diggity
AG
Did your market value go up 10% or is your appraised value catching up to market value?
Ducks4brkfast
AG
quote:
Did your market value go up 10% or is your appraised value catching up to market value?

That's me. 10% increase every year but a long way to go for my appraised value to catch up to my market value. Hard to argue.
aggiemike02
AG
Same boat. Still annoying.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
quote:
Same boat. Still annoying.

This is so stupid.
TXTransplant
So, is a 10% increase if your appraised value hasn't met your market value pretty much a given? I didn't protest the last couple of years because my appraised value was reasonable. Market value was tolerable, especially since we did have such a strong seller's market. I'm pretty sure if I looked at comparable sales for this last year, though, any further increase in appraised value isn't supported by the comps. I fully expect to be protesting this year.
Diggity
AG
It's a given. They'll increase by 10% until they catch up or the property changes hands. That's the state law.
TXTransplant
quote:
It's a given. They'll increase by 10% until they catch up or the property changes hands. That's the state law.

How can it be state law when not all CADs even post a market value? That's what tripped me up. I moved from a CAD that didn't have one, so I didn't give the market value that HCAD assigns much importance, until I read comments here.

Correction: I guess the CAD where I lived before did have a market value, it was just always the same as the appraised value. So I didn't realize the issue.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Looks like HCAD already came out with the tape measure on my new garage.
htxag09
AG
Just got our letter. Ours went up 15%....

ETA: 77007, technically cottage grove, but south of I10
Diggity
AG
It would be much appreciated if those of you posting your new values would follow Cronk and give us an area or zip code.

TIA!
Samuel E. Cronkowitz
AG
My market value stayed the same for 2016, and same with at least 3 of my neighbors. Guessing they status quo'ed the whole hood. 77079 - Nottingham Forest.

For those of you not so lucky, check out Jubally.com. It's legit and it works.

The Catfish
AG
Anyone in 77018 seeing anything yet?
Cru
S
quote:
My market value stayed the same for 2016, and same with at least 3 of my neighbors. Guessing they status quo'ed the whole hood. 77079 - Nottingham Forest.

For those of you not so lucky, check out Jubally.com. It's legit and it works.

Skeet skeet! Thank you for the praise!

Just shot off an email asking for the 2016 data from HCAD. We can't be live until that data comes in. It certainly should be a money saving year for residential.
htxag09
AG
Edited my post.
Furlock Bones
AG
77080 still pending
NorthHollywoodHenry
AG
About 2.5% in 77008
Diggity
AG
So your market went up 15%? That seems crazy to me. 77007 dropped in value from January last year to January this year. Unless they were way behind on your particular property, you should have a good basis for a protest.
htxag09
AG
Yeah, I will protest. But I do believe they are behind.
Diggity
AG
certainly possible, but they have done their damnedest to catch up the past couple years.
htxag09
AG
Should be easy to fight it. The attached neighbors (identical house) was appraised at $20k less last year than ours.
Diggity
AG
let me know if you need help with comps.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Still waiting in 77055

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.