Houston
Sponsored by

City of Houston / tree removal

9,109 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by ballchain
fairviewcrew
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Trying to find the number for residential building permit dept but city website is all jacked up.... Not many of the links work for me

We are in the middle of a remodel and are pouring a new drive way (just wider)... We are getting that permitted but I will need to remove two trees to widen. Do I need a permit to remove the trees? Anybody know
Token
AG
3-1-1?
CrossBowAg99
AG
No permit required

fairviewcrew
Thanks... Was able to track down the permit office number through 3-1-1.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Yes, you have to get permission to remove street trees.

If you don't, bad things can happen.
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
Trying to find the number for residential building permit dept but city website is all jacked up.... Not many of the links work for me

We are in the middle of a remodel and are pouring a new drive way (just wider)... We are getting that permitted but I will need to remove two trees to widen. Do I need a permit to remove the trees? Anybody know
What page are you using, and what links don't work?

https://www.houstonpermittingcenter.org/
fairviewcrew
I went to CoH website, the. "I want to" page... Tried click both "code enforcement" and "building and construction" link... Neither worked. They are trying to send my browser to houstonpwrmitting enter.org like you said but says pge cannot be displayed. Tried on different browsers but could be a problem on my end.

I did get in touch w/ someone in permitting, said as long as the trees are on my property and not in the right of way, the. I'm fine to take them down without permit.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Make sure you verify they are 100% on your property before you take them down.
fairviewcrew
Yes I was just looking on the survey. Didn't realize how far the true property line is off the curb. I'm going to need to have that looked at
Post removed:
by user
Satellite of Love
Is there a way to check to see if a property got a permit to remove a tree in the city's easement. Just had a neighbor a street over take out a huge pine tree in between the street and sidewalk. Pretty sure it wasn't the city because they generally clean up any tree removal work same day. This house had the wood along the curb for more than a week.
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
Is there a way to check to see if a property got a permit to remove a tree in the city's easement. Just had a neighbor a street over take out a huge pine tree in between the street and sidewalk. Pretty sure it wasn't the city because they generally clean up any tree removal work same day. This house had the wood along the curb for more than a week.
Call the Parks Department or the Planning Department. 311 can connect you to either.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
People ratting out folks building **** in their backyards and removing trees streets over.

Lots of snitches on the Houston board these days.
Ryan the Temp
AG
That tree doesn't belong to the property owner.
Texan76
quote:
Yes, you have to get permission to remove street trees.

If you don't, bad things can happen.
Those people who did that are disgusting people. Have known them forever as they live down the street from my parents in Sugar Land. They own a bunch of gas stations and fast food restaurants. They have been busted multiple times putting regular unleaded in their premium tanks and skimming on sales tax.
agnerd
AG
quote:
Just had a neighbor a street over take out a huge pine tree in between the street and sidewalk.
Shouldn't you be thanking him for taking out a pine tree?
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
People ratting out folks building **** in their backyards and removing trees streets over.

Lots of snitches on the Houston board these days.

Yep. Pretty sad.

"Oh no, they cut down a pine tree that does nothing but clog the storm sewers every time the wind blows! Call the authorities!"
Ryan the Temp
AG
Sometimes the city likes it when you take trees down. Chinese tallow is one of the best examples where you can get rid of a tree with no hassle.
HBCanine08
AG
quote:
Sometimes the city likes it when you take trees down. Chinese tallow is one of the best examples where you can get rid of a tree with no hassle.

Wacist COH
Ryan the Temp
AG
Celebrate diversity - plant one in your yard.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
My parents have a tallow in the backyard and I've always hated it. Those little shell things are hell on bare feet.
Ryan the Temp
AG
I have one in front of my house.
LostInLA07
AG
Do it in the middle of the night
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
Do it in the middle of the night

Used to live in one of our smaller, more uptight local municipalities. I wanted to clear some ugly trees the previous residents had let get out of control, and I talked to my next door neighbors about it since one was close to the property line. They gave their full encouragement but warned me that I could get fined if the "City Arborist" drove by while they were being cut down or if someone reported me.

Their advice: scale it back gradually until it was nothing and no one would notice.

No complaints and no fines.
It's good to know your neighbors.
Satellite of Love
As seeing that a dumpster was dropped off, looks like we got a renno on our hands...so my take is that they killed the tree just because.

I wouldn't have an issue with removing a tree if they replaced it with another tree. The streets are turning into early years Westbury when there were zero trees.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
How old are you? If youre from Westbury then you might understand my comment about pine trees.
Satellite of Love
I'm 31. Only lived there for about a year now. I've seen a lot of old photos from back in the day. I know about pine trees. I grew up in cypress and my parents neighborhood was littered with them!
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Grew up in 77096 in the 80's and 90's. Lots of family and friends still there. Westbury was pushing up against rice fields when some of the old folks were first moving in.
ballchain
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.