Houston
Sponsored by

Anyone live in Cottage Grove?

8,453 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by ATM9000
WT1025
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thought I wanted a house in the Washington area of Rice military but cottage grove seems pretty nice. Anyone have experience?
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
seems peachy
rosco511
AG
I live in Cottage Grove and love it.
Ag_07
AG
Great if you like murders, Mezcuns, and gangs.
rosco511
AG
It is still a transitioning neighborhood, but overall, it has largely transitioned. I have never had any crime issues, and know that one of those crimes reported in the article linked above was a hit type murder, not some random crime (and the Heights or other places inside the loop are definitely not immune to crime). It is in a great location, easy access to the rest of the city and not as expensive as the Heights or Rice Military. I like the smaller neighborhood feel to the area, and Down the Street is a great neighborhood bar. I would not raise a family in the area, but for people without kids, I would highly recommend.
Post removed:
by user
htxag09
AG
I technically live in cottage grove but south of I-10. North of 10 seems a little crowded for my liking. Also, I would except the townhouses in cottage grove to be some of the first to drop in value if the market doesn't turn around. Something to consider with your timing.
Diggity
AG
I don't find there to be a huge difference in the density just north or south of I-10. I agree that property values are still a bit higher south of I-10 though.
WT1025
AG
So the people complaining about crime do you actually live there or are you just using google because it's Houston there's crime everywhere. Thanks to those that actually gave real input good or bad
Madmarttigan
AG
We moved there in September (with the help of Diggity!). We have been loving it so far, but I do make sure that we have an alarm system in place since it is ITL living. There is some old junk throughout, especially on the east part where we are but it is being removed slowly. You really can't beat the accessibility being right off of I-10. I work in the med center and my wife is in the galleria area so it works great for us.

I know there has been a string of robberies in Rice Military and the west/central part of Cottage Grove recently, so you would be foolish not to have a security system. I do hope that all of the older houses get replaced eventually, but it is still ITL so I'm sure theft will always be a concern.
green7
I lived there for 5 years and just moved last June. It has changed a lot since we moved in and still changing. When I drive back in that area now visiting friends it is amazing how many new homes are up and old shacks are being demolished. We never had an issue with crime. Few of the neighbors had their cars broken into and I saw a few Chevy's on blocks in the morning but we have that same issue in our new neighborhood. I would walk the dog every day and never felt unsafe. Get an alarm and pay for a security camera system if your really concerned. Location is great if you work downtown nothing beats getting to I-10 in 2 minutes.

sawemoffshort09
AG
I moved into cottage grove over 2 years ago and love it. Its a younger crowd and most the people I have met in the area are all very friendly. The bar Down the Street has become a very popular bar which is walkable from most homes. Parking can be a slight pain in the butt with the ditches on each side of the road, but just means people have to walk a little. Although some houses have not been town down or remolded the people in these houses tend to stick to themselves. Our original plan was to make this a short term house and move to the suburbs, but after spending time we have opted out of that and currently attempting to buy the empty lot behind our house to have a large yard.
wessimo
AG
Been in CG going on 8 years. We have not had any issues with crime; we take common sense precautions like keeping our cars inside at night and access gate locked. We had thoughts of moving when we had kids but we love the location too much to move for now. Quick access to I 10 makes for a short commute. The bike trail is great also, you can hop on it and ride through the heights or downtown.
Mert2003
AG
Purchased a home there in 2009 - moved out in 2014 once we were overrun by our own kids. We kept the house and use it for a rental now (we may need a new tenant in March if you're looking to rent). We still hang out with some of our old neighbors and several of my C/O 03 buddies live there.
In 5 years we had one issue (wife left the garage door open all night and my golf clubs grew legs and walked out). Overall my wife and I loved the neighborhood and we'd prob still be there if we didn't have four kids.

Ohh...and Down the Street bar is the T!!ts.

WT1025
AG
Thanks for all the input people who have/do live there! Seems like they really are tearing through those old houses considering all the new construction I saw when I drove through there this weekend. We mighttt be look to rent in May (not March) depending on the housing market if we decide not to buy. What kind of rent do you charge?
Mert2003
AG
Ours is a detached+own driveway 2,700' 3Bed 2 1/2Bath 2 story with game room = $2,800/mo

It looks like most of the homes in CG are renting out at $1 per SQFT (our neighbor is renting their 2,300' for $2,350).
HBCanine08
AG
quote:
welcome 2 Houston. That's currently everywhere.
230Ag
AG
quote:
just curious, but where you do you live? that is 95% of Houston....
Unnecessary Deafness
AG
Moved to Cottage Grove in December and like it a lot. Work near downtown and like others say living close to I-10 is nice. Haven't had any problems with crime but do have an alarm system. Being a young adult and having the ability to Uber to multiple bars in the area (Downtown,Midtown, and Washington) under 12 bucks if it isn't surging is a nice luxury.
C5Aggie03
AG
Save up a little more and move to Rice Military, way nicer.
230Ag
AG
quote:
Save up a little more and move to Rice Military, way nicer.
better save up more than "a little more" - the houses there are almost twice the price as Cottage Grove for the exact same SQFT.
Diggity
AG
Twice as much? Where are you looking?
Kujo30
AG
I'm looking at a house in Cottage Grove but I noticed it's located next to/behind Texas Outhouse/Gainsborough Waste. I'm wondering if anyone lives in that part of CG and if it's indeed as smelly as it sounds. Also, damn Houston's zoning laws (or lack thereof).
Diggity
AG
I don't think zoning would have helped out Cottage Grove. If anything, it would have been zoned commercial.
Ag_07
AG
At least you can just throw your dog crap over fence with no worries.
Ag_07
AG
And here's a nice (free) link to look crime incidents and sex offenders in any given area.

crimereports.com
Alex Bregman
AG
quote:
I'm looking at a house in Cottage Grove but I noticed it's located next to/behind Texas Outhouse/Gainsborough Waste. I'm wondering if anyone lives in that part of CG and if it's indeed as smelly as it sounds. Also, damn Houston's zoning laws (or lack thereof).
You're doing it wrong. You're supposed to buy the house, move in, and then proceed to start *****ing about it smelling and how it needs to be moved out of the neighborhood.
wessimo
AG
Personally I would not want to live next door to that place due to the smell, dust, truck traffic and noise. Lots of heavy machinery moving the waste around. Im on the other side of TCJ but the truck traffic is still annoying... wish they would sell out and move to the burbs.
digging tunnels
AG
I live about 100 yards from the outhouse and have never smelled anything for the last 4 years.

Now I lived off spring loop (aka spring poop) in CS at a further distance and smelled that crap all the time
ATM9000
AG
quote:

8 town homes, 4 connected on each side of a shared driveway at the se corner of Deterring and Egbert right? I know someone who used to rent in there on the Egbert side. They used to say it wasn't smelly at all but the truck traffic sucked. Starts early in the morning and the big trucks apparently were loud enough to sort of reverb off the walls when they drove by and the Gainsborough trucks loading and unloading were loud and constant too. When I was over there, truck traffic seemed pretty constant and busy even on the weekends for what it's worth.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.