Houston
Sponsored by

What is going on at Stratford HS?

6,391 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by cab595
BillYeoman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is Stratford still accepting out of district kids?
FarmerJohn
AG
quote:
Isn't your statement the exact opposite of what your graphs posted above are showing????
No, I thought it supported the statement. Not important.

We just bought a house in that area of town, though HISD and not SBISD. Anyone that buys a house and is concerned about schools and doesn't check the free lunch percentage is just being negligent. The simple fact is the more free lunch, the worse the school is. Now I don't think it is proportional but at some point you reach a tipping point.
riz
AG
quote:
Is Stratford still accepting out of district kids?

I've heard that they are no longer doing this
tylercsbn9
AG
The economically disadvantaged is the only thing I ever look at when buying a house. Any house with a school over 25% we eliminated.
DTAg09
AG
quote:
Quite a few apartment complexes concentrated around the high school. Biggest problem for the school is the aging population in the area. A lot of the nice houses that used to feed upper middle class kids into that school are filled with retirees w/o kids. Don't forget they dropped from 5A to 4A before 6A was added. Home prices there also keep a lot of parents out that can't afford it, so they go a few more miles down the freeway to Katy ISD. Meanwhile, number of kids coming from the apartment complexes stay the same or increase slightly. So the middle class gets diluted and the schools rankings get diluted too. Its biggest problem is that Katy is too close and housing prices are too high for a lot of parents.

This..

I fall into the "would love to live in Spring Branch can't afford it so I commute from Katy lolz poors" category..

For being a poor I get the #1 school district in the City of Houston and one of the best in the state..

Are the rich who are moving in, moving in in big enough numbers? Are they having enough kids?? Diggity may be able to answer that better, but I sort of just assume rich people tend to have less kids, maybe that's just a stereo type..

Also if you can afford to live in that area are you going to private possibly??

For now I'll enjoy my great schools with my naps on the bus
Diggity
AG
most people who have recently moved into neighborhoods feeding into SHS south of I-10 are spending more than they want to because of the schools, so I doubt a significant percentage of them are planning on private school.
Wearer of the Ring
AG
I wonder what that .2 of a teacher looks like?
BLA 92 MSLD 95
Moved to area 11 years ago. Got in before the real spike in home prices. House down the street about to list for $350 PSF. Crazy.

Have 2 attending SHS and couldn't be happier. The curriculum can be rigorous and competitive. Last person in the top quarter in 2016 will have a 3.8 GPA. Parents very involved. Perfect balance of exposure to real life contrasted against the many blessings our kids have enjoyed.

UT and A&M accepting graduates at a high rate due to SHS reputation for producing high achievers.

Also show me where you can get a better foundation in K-8 than Wilchester, Rummel Creek, Frostwood, Bunker Hill, Hunter's Creek or Memorial Dr Elementaries and Memorial & Spring Branch Middle School while living in Houston (Katy is not Houston) and not paying for private school.
Serotonin
AG
Good stuff guys, thanks for the responses. To BLA 92's point, I would have no problem sending kids to Stratford right now, it's still a great school. My concern was the trend.

But it sounds like there has been a temporary spike in economically disadvantaged students that are moving through the system and are more at the middle and high school level now.

Diggity, the private school point is an important one. Because as you know there is a tipping point where parents put their kid in private or leave the neighborhood, and that has a snowball effect. It has happened all over Houston the last 40 years.

A school goes from great to good to average and neighborhood parents panic, pulling their kids out. This just increases the rate of decline, which causes other parents to pull their kids out, which increases the rate of decline, etc.

But sounds like the elementary schools that will eventually feed into SHS are back on track and the trend should disappear.
Diggity
AG
Private school has gotten so expensive that it's starting to become out of reach for a lot of your traditional low six figure income families, especially when talking about more than one kid...so that will help keep more kids in the neighborhood schools.
BMF_AG95
AG
The apartments next to Nottingham we're going to be torn down this past summer. It was delayed basically due to oil price. Plan is for them to become townhomes. I haven't heard when.
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
Does that chart mean 30% of the students qualify for free or reduced lunches? What is the standard to receive that?
cab595
Not to derail the thread, but what is going on at those new luxury apartments/townhomes (arabella?) they just built north of I-10 at the Wilcrest exit? Looks like they are done with construction but no one is living there.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.