Houston
Sponsored by

What is going on at Stratford HS?

6,412 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by cab595
Serotonin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Stratford HS has some of the best neighborhoods in the Houston area and has always been one of the best high schools in town.

In 2008, Stratford outperformed 92% of Texas high schools on test scores. By 2015 it outperformed only 71% of high schools in Texas. That has always been a potential target neighborhood for me when we have older kids. Anyone have insight into what's going on?
http://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/schools/4110004698/school.aspx
Ag_07
AG
Canadians coming down for the winter
Jack Klompus
AG
Katrinas
RoamingGnome
Did something happen at Stratford? Not sure what the problem is that you are referencing.

You sound like some of those Liucci haters you see on this board just trying to find something to complain about when the product is the best ever created.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Not at all trying to be racist (or whatever) but two trends your link shows is an increase in minority population as well as eligibility for free lunch. Just reading the graphs.
Serotonin
AG
quote:
Did something happen at Stratford? Not sure what the problem is that you are referencing.

The problem is that for decades Stratford has been a top 10%, if not top 5% high school in the state of Texas. Look at home prices in the area. However, in the last 7 years it has dropped from top 10% to barely top 30% and appears to be rapidly trending downward.
Furlock Bones
AG
quote:

You sound like some of those Liucci haters you see on this board just trying to find something to complain about when the product is the best ever created.
holee xhit. what?????
Al Bula
AG
quote:
Serotonin
AG
Looch, is that you?
kubiak03
AG
Never knew looch cared so much about HOUSTON high school performance
Velvet Jones
AG
quote:

You missed a little by the corner of your mouth.
Furlock Bones
AG
talk about thread derails
agnerd
AG
Quite a few apartment complexes concentrated around the high school. Biggest problem for the school is the aging population in the area. A lot of the nice houses that used to feed upper middle class kids into that school are filled with retirees w/o kids. Don't forget they dropped from 5A to 4A before 6A was added. Home prices there also keep a lot of parents out that can't afford it, so they go a few more miles down the freeway to Katy ISD. Meanwhile, number of kids coming from the apartment complexes stay the same or increase slightly. So the middle class gets diluted and the schools rankings get diluted too. Its biggest problem is that Katy is too close and housing prices are too high for a lot of parents.
Mr. Lahey
AG
Drunk at 2 pm. I wish I had this whole week off too.
CrossBowAg99
AG
I love it when people pay money to create socks
Satellite of Love
quote:
Wait wait. Are you saying that even over on the Houston board there are sip trolls that love to pretend that liucci isn't the best journalist in the biz???

I guess y'all prefer hacks like ketch.
Ratard on line 1....
schmendeler
AG
quote:
Wait wait. Are you saying that even over on the Houston board there are sip trolls that love to pretend that liucci isn't the best journalist in the biz???

I guess y'all prefer hacks like ketch.

Talk about a false dichotomy
Diggity
AG
looking at the free lunch %, you can't help but notice a correlation. I'm sure it's not the only reason, but that's not going to help.

Mr. Lahey
AG
So what do we think of Northbrook/Spring woods? Ever going to be non ghetto (10/15 yrs)?
Diggity
AG
It's hard to turn a high school around.
CrossBowAg99
AG
It should get better. They have torn down several old apartment complexes in the lest few years that were zoned to Stratford.
MAS444
AG
And tons of 40ish olds with younger kids moved/moving out there replacing the really olds.
Post removed:
by user
AgAttorney2010
AG
quote:

Isn't your statement the exact opposite of what your graphs posted above are showing????
Scientific
AG
quote:
I still cant believe its taken Reagan so long.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
count me as one of the people that could justify 500k for a 2000 sq ft home that needed updating.

Went down the road to fleetwood and technically i am zoned to Katy Taylor.

Whenever the time comes for schools tho i will request a waiver to get into spring branch but if not they will go to Katy schools
Diggity
AG
I was speaking about significantly improving a school. It doesn't happen very often.

Spring Branch ISD in general is trending in the wrong direction if you just look at accountability ratings...but those don't tell the whole story. One of HISD's biggest issues is figuring out how to deal with impoverished families...and SBISD isn't immune to that.

cab595
quote:

Spring Branch ISD in general is trending in the wrong direction if you just look at accountability ratings...but those don't tell the whole story. One of HISD's biggest issues is figuring out how to deal with impoverished families...and SBISD isn't immune to that.

Can't you just say as a society we are trending in the wrong direction, and no one is immune to that?
Diggity
AG
There are still great schools in Spring Branch, I just wouldn't bet on Northbrook being an exemplary school anytime soon.

Sorry...I don't control these things!
Gig-Em2003
AG
Nearly every time someone moves out of the Stratford zoned neighborhoods a young family is moving in.

These negative trends should reverse as the prior generation moves out and the community is rejuvenated. Couple that with several older apartments being torn down and it should trend the other way in the next ten years.

We shall see. I'm optimistic.
Samuel E. Cronkowitz
AG
quote:
Nearly every time someone moves out of the Stratford zoned neighborhoods a young family is moving in.

These negative trends should reverse as the prior generation moves out and the community is rejuvenated. Couple that with several older apartments being torn down and it should trend the other way in the next ten years.

We shall see. I'm optimistic.
Agreed. We moved in the area almost 2 years ago, and since there has been a significant amount of similar aged folks (families with pre-kindergarten kids) move in. Most every house being sold in 77079 is owned by someone with kids older than HS aged.

I'm optimistic as well.
Diggity
AG
I would agree. I think Stratford is a great school, its just had some challenges the last few years. The younger families that have been moving in typically had elementary aged kids and younger so there's been a bit of a delay but the future should be much improved.
BMF_AG95
AG
Not surprised to see the trend but will reverse in the coming years. We moved into the area and our son goes to Nottingham elementary (zoned to Stratford). Moved in about 2 yrs ago. Several apts have been torn down while families with elementary aged children have moved into the houses. Enrollment is down at the school but see signs of improving due to number of younger kids (pre-k) moving into the 77079.

Oops. No paragraphs on the above. Typing on phone. Anyway Stratford will turn just might be 3-5 years.
PapaKilo
AG
quote:
Not surprised to see the trend but will reverse in the coming years. We moved into the area and our son goes to Nottingham elementary (zoned to Stratford). Moved in about 2 yrs ago. Several apts have been torn down while families with elementary aged children have moved into the houses. Enrollment is down at the school but see signs of improving due to number of younger kids (pre-k) moving into the 77079.

Oops. No paragraphs on the above. Typing on phone. Anyway Stratford will turn just might be 3-5 years.

Need oil to rebound so they continue tearing down the projects... Namely the one right next to Nottingham Elementary.
DuncanAg
AG
We are zoned to Wilchester Elementary and our oldest is getting ready to go to Pre-K next year. To give you a sense for how many young kids are in the Stratford zoned areas, we have to get into a lottery to see if we can even get into Pre-K at Wilchester (if not, we likely go to Wildcat Way which isn't bad). Also, this year they had to add another kindergarten teacher to the school to meet demand. So, I agree with the other folks that the elementary aged kids in the area are really growing.

I've got 9 years until HS for my oldest, and I agree that Stratford is likely to change over that time. Although, I know several families in my neighborhood who have kids in Stratford and they love it.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.