Houston
Sponsored by

Corkscrew BBQ

9,015 Views | 108 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by redag06
jja79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good grief is that place good. I was afraid the move to a bigger location might be a negative like it was for Fargo's in Bryan but it doesn't seem to have suffered.

Worth the wait.
StillNotAnAggie
Have gone a few times since the move and it is still great. The new place is great too. I stop by every time they don't have a line.
jja79
AG
When do they not have a line? Today wasn't that bad, maybe 45 minutes around 11:50.
BBRex
AG
I should have gone there yesterday instead of having my second underwhelming Gatlin's lunch.
God-Family-Friends-Ag FB
I need to try this place. I was afraid Gatlin's would suffer with their move but it's still my favorite in the Tine so far. Seems to be unpopular on here though.
BMX Bandit
I really like Gatlins, but Corkscrew brisket is far far better.

BBRex
AG
I went to Gatlin's Labor Day picnic (which was sort of a soft reopening) and the food was great. But the last two times I've gone for lunch since they reopened, the food hasn't been very good. I got pork ribs one day that were needing more time on the pit. And the brisket I got yesterday tasted completely unseasoned.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
This thread is relative to my interests....

Are they keeping normal business hours? What's the wait like? When is the best time to go? Been wanting to try them for a while. Old location was a LOT of hassle.
Guitarsoup
AG
I go there a couple times a month. They open at 11 and close when they sell out, usually around 6 or so. Closed Sunday and Monday. Their pulled pork is there best I've ever had. I preferred their sausage at their old location, I think they changed their recipe. Brisket is excellent. Line isn't that long if you don't get there early.
jja79
AG
Got moist brisket, sausage, pulled pork, mac & cheese and potato salad. Everything was great.

They only have beef ribs chicken on saturdays.
Texas A&M
I'm looking forward to trying the new location. i just need to pick a time when the wait is 15-20 minutes or less. IMO, there are too many good bbq places to warrant waiting longer than that.
jja79
AG
What are those places? I've eaten at a lot of BBQ joints and can't think of one here that compares.
schmendeler
AG
quote:
What are those places? I've eaten at a lot of BBQ joints and can't think of one here that compares.

Oh man, you haven't tried spring creek or di ckey's?! You haven't had barbecue if you haven't had them.
StillNotAnAggie
I talked to the guy at the counter and he said he always tells his friends to come Tuesday or Wednesday. The wait those days are usually the shortest. I also try to go when the weather is less than ideal, like this last Tuesday I walked in and straight to the front of the line. No wait. I also follow them on Facebook and they will post when they have no line or short lines. It helps I live close and with from home on Tuesdays.
Bighamp03
AG
I've still never been. We need to meet for Tuesday lunch.
kelkel25
quote:
Old location was a LOT of hassle.
except for the free beer
pb488
AG
burnt ends, lean and moist brisket, some sausage, and Mac n cheese, good eats when driving up to ft worth last weekend
schmendeler
AG
How is their sausage? I think I've had every thing but that. That and the chicken. But getting chicken seems like a waste of stomach space.
jja79
AG
I got some sausage yesterday and thought it was good.
cheeky
AG
what will the line be like at 11 AM today? How long might I expect to wait (inside or outside?), and what is NOT on the meat menu today?
schmendeler
AG
quote:
I got some sausage yesterday and thought it was good.

Is it homemade? Or of the mass produced variety?
jja79
AG
I have no idea who made but I liked it. The brisket is outstanding. The potato salad is different than most but I really like it.

Yesterday the line was through the building, across the porch and out to the street and it took about 45 minutes. Parking is an issue on a muddy day probably.

It was worth the wait.
schmendeler
AG
I know their other stuff is excellent. Just curious if I was missing something on the sausage side. One only has so much room at one meal!
mm98
AG
Had no idea they moved!

Only eaten there twice. Need to stop by again soon.
tx4guns
AG
I was there for the first time yesterday, too. Must have seen you. I agree it's the best brisket and ribs I've had in Houston. Will be back.
Texas A&M
quote:
I didn't say that they were better, but that they're good enough that its not worth the wait at Corkscrew for me. A few that I'd put in this list: BBQ Godfather, Rudy's, Pit Master. I find that bbq snobs are very similar to craft beer snobs - just an older average age than their beer counterparts.

I'm still looking forward to trying Corkscrew. I'm not working this week, so i might try them Tuesday or Wednesday.
jja79
AG
I think having had it before makes me willing to wait.
Texas A&M
quote:
I think having had it before makes me willing to wait.
And me having had it at their old location makes me not willing to wait most times. To each his own...
Jock 07
AG
quote:
roegels
Ragoo
AG
Try virgie's on gessner
jja79
AG
Agreed. It's good too.
StillNotAnAggie
quote:
I've still never been. We need to meet for Tuesday lunch.

Pick a day.
Furlock Bones
AG
For brisket Roegels over Gatlins. All day everyday.

Someone really just put Rudys on a BBQ list with Corkscrew and Gatlins? Holee chit. This can't be real life.
brotheraggie
Good Stuff!!
El Mero Guero
Definitely need to try Corkscrew and Killen's, but I am amazed that the moist brisket at Gatlin's doesn't do it for some people on here. I realize everyone has their own tastes and preferences, but I put it up there near Franklin BBQ. Maybe I have been very lucky and they've made it just perfect and given me the best cuts each time i've been. Or maybe I am blessed with non-picky taste buds. Or maybe it's like wine tasting and I just don't "get it". Either way, I would hate to live a food life where the moist brisket at Gatlin's wasn't good.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.