Houston
Sponsored by

Syrian Refugees

13,325 Views | 156 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by sts7049
Build It
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So when does Houston get our allotment from the Feds?
lexofer
AG
There are a good number Syrian refugees already in town. I sold my house a few months ago to a Syrian couple that were fleeing the war. Really nice people, they keep inviting me back to show me what they've done with the house and to feed me. Had to abandon everything they owned back home. They're working hard to get some of their nephews over here before they get killed. I'll take you over there if you want to see what Syrian refugees are really like.
Build It
AG
No thanks we've had our share in my hood already. I understand Houston is getting another large allotment. New Orleans just received theirs.

UndergroundAg
quote:
So when does Houston get our allotment from the Feds?

How do we opt out of this? I thought we were already taking plenty of the central American women and children people.
KDubAg
AG
quote:
There are a good number Syrian refugees already in town. I sold my house a few months ago to a Syrian couple that were fleeing the war. Really nice people, they keep inviting me back to show me what they've done with the house and to feed me. Had to abandon everything they owned back home. They're working hard to get some of their nephews over here before they get killed. I'll take you over there if you want to see what Syrian refugees are really like.

Just curious..if they abandoned everything back home, how did they qualify for a home loan with minimal work history, stubs, etc. or did they pay cash for the home?
Al Bula
AG
Welcome to America. Sad state of affairs.
Jock 07
AG
quote:
quote:

Just curious..if they abandoned everything back home, how did they qualify for a home loan with minimal work history, stubs, etc. or did they pay cash for the home?
Dodd-frank bro. Everyone gets a mortgage, or else the bank is racist or something.
Build It
AG
Wouldn't it be ideal to have a form of government where we had a choice before they dump thousands of refugees with potential terrorists in our neighborhoods. We also get the privledge of paying for them probably for a generation or 2 on welfare.

1 in 4 in Houston were not born in the US. This is a much different place than just 10 or 15 years ago.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG

quote:
1 in 4 in Houston were not born in the US. This is a much different place than just 10 or 15 years ago.

Is it, though?
jja79
AG
Isn't our greatest QB Syrian?
Build It
AG
What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
sts7049
AG
quote:
Wouldn't it be ideal to have a form of government where we had a choice before they dump thousands of refugees with potential terrorists in our neighborhoods. We also get the privledge of paying for them probably for a generation or 2 on welfare.

if you're actually an aggie, i'm disappointed and ashamed to have a ties to someone who has views like this.
Build It
AG
Then turn in your ring amigo.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
quote:

If you're really from Houston and are this worried about colored folk harshing your vibe, you'd know that you have a higher likelihood of getting stabbed by a little Vietnamese guy at the club or jumped by an entire Mexican family wearing J.J. Watt jerseys at Buffalo Wild Wings then getting blown up by Syrian refugees.
Build It
AG
FYI all the Syrians I've met are white not "colored". Also pleny of wealthy Muslim nations that could support them instead of us.
Al Bula
AG
quote:
no, Texan. Someone in his woodpile was Lebanese.
95_Aggie
AG
I am guessing the OP's ancestors are Native American?
onceaggie
AG
quote:
quote:

If you're really from Houston and are this worried about colored folk harshing your vibe, you'd know that you have a higher likelihood of getting stabbed by a little Vietnamese guy at the club or jumped by an entire Mexican family wearing J.J. Watt jerseys at Buffalo Wild Wings then getting blown up by Syrian refugees.
so we should still want a truckload of Syrian Refuges here to add to this?
RC_57
AG
quote:
This is a much different place than just 10 or 15 years ago.
"different" does not necessarily equal "better"
BMX Bandit
quote:
quote:
no, Texan. Someone in his woodpile was Lebanese.

Syrian ancestors, not Lebanese
BMX Bandit
quote:
quote:
This is a much different place than just 10 or 15 years ago.
"different" does not necessarily equal "better"

Food is much much better.

As are most parts on west side of ITL
lexofer
AG
quote:
quote:

He has been in the country for about a year now and working as a machinist. Just looked at the HUD statement and it said Westar Mortgage. Not sure how I can tell anything more than that. Helped him unload some furniture he got off CL the day I was finishing moving out.
Build It
AG
Some State Governors now pushing back on taking In the refugees. This could get interesting if the Feds force this on the States.
sts7049
AG
quote:
Then turn in your ring amigo.
nah, better to keep it so at least there are some of us that don't make hateful blanket statements about a country's people.
Build It
AG
WTF are you talking about? I haven't made any hateful statements about anyone. Are you suggesting there are no terrorist in Syria?

sts7049
AG
are you suggesting there are no terrorists in america? or any other country for that matter? you know factually that all terrorists come from syria?
Build It
AG
Are you ****ing stupid? I've never said all terrorist come from Syria or there are non already in America. I will say yes there are terrorist in Syria and no I don't want them here. How you project that into whatever you are trying to believe I said is idiotic logic.
sts7049
AG
ok. they're your words, not my projections.
Build It
AG
As soon as you find those elusive words be sure to let me know.
schmendeler
AG
Nothing like good old fashioned racial based fear.
dreyOO
I don't see race based fear. I see common sense not wanting to open floodgates to foreigners.

For you bleeding hearts, im sure youve got the spare bedrooms prepped and ready for the arrival of your new house guests. Right?
The Milkman
AG
As long as someone else is paying for it, I'm sure they'd say so.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
quote:
I don't see race based fear. I see common sense not wanting to open floodgates to foreigners.

I agree.
. . .
Abbott: Texas will not accept any refugees from Syria

Letter to POTUS
sts7049
AG
quote:
thousands of refugees with potential terrorists in our neighborhoods.

is much different than saying

quote:
opening floodgates to foreigners

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.