Houston
Sponsored by

I hate cougar high

18,415 Views | 172 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Jaydoug
MichaelJ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There I said it.and I mean it.

If there were 1 team I could play and beat every year. It would be them.

I hate their entire ignorant fan base. Every single one of them. I hate their fanbase's family. Eff all of them.

twice since Saturday I've been verbally accosted by uh friends/family of mine (yes I realize I just said I hate myself) about how we suck and they are world beaters.

I can't wait for Herman to leave them and the cycle of suck to start over.
HBCanine08
AG
ATM9000
AG
I wouldn't throw too many stones. Our fan base has a habit and reputation of really overselling ourselves and program as being badass when it's been really mediocre historically and recently.
MichaelJ
AG
This happened when sumlin was there too and we were struggling with sherm.

The bottom line is they are a second rate program and have no hope of sustained success. Their hay day was in the 90s. It's past them.

Arguably so was ours but their are much brighter horizons ahead.
yeahtoast
AG
I love it, good to have another local sports team to root for/follow.

UH baseball rivalry has always been great.
UH basketball was second to none growing up and fed into Clutch City.
UH football knows it's place as a stepping stone and embraces the plan of making terrific hires, winning a bunch of games, watching their successful coach leave and repeating.
UH academics is rising, albeit slowly, and that's only good for Houston.

Texaggie7nine
quote:
I love it, good to have another local sports team to root for/follow.

Exactly. It is because they will never be a true rival to A&M that I can root for them. It's a fun program to follow and the stadium is pretty sweet. Especially when you can buy beer there.
7nine
95_Aggie
AG
Remember WRTS and how we thought we owned the SEC in our first year?
Al Bula
AG
I don't really hear much about UH despite them being unbeaten. The only things I know about them is that they are unbeaten, Tom Herman is their coach and Greg Ward Jr. is the QB.

Best advice is to laugh it off and show less asshurt. People can only exploit your weakness (which is obviously Aggie football success) if you allow them to.
Ag_07
AG
My mom is a UH alum along with my aunts, my cousins, and my grandpa.

They could care less about UH anything until it gets good. Back in the Briles and Sumlin days they were traveling to bowl games, had season tickets, etc. Back in the Noble days they were at every weekend baseball game, traveling to regionals, etc.

Well this year they were supposed to be sheety so no one had season tickets. Now it's comical watching all of them try and get a hold of tickets for Memphis. FREAKIN Memphis is their big ticket home game!!

It's such a bandwagon fanbase it's ridiculous. Plus they're the first ones to beat their chest about beating a bunch sub-500 JV teams. They're very very annoying.
Boats and Hose
AG
quote:
Especially when you can buy beer there.
This.

Plus the tickets are pretty damn cheap. They don't play A&M so there's not really a reason for me not to cheer for them.
RK
AG
they are better than us.
I Am A Critic
BUT THEY'RE A TIER ONE (research) UNIVERSITY!
MichaelJ
AG
Thank you. Someone gets it
TX04Aggie
AG
I am an alum from both schools. It is fun to support the Coogs when they have these types of years and the fact I can take a train to the stadium and drink and ride the train back downtown and keep eating and drinking...It has been amazing to see that campus develop the last few years, talk about a building boom...
MichaelJ
AG
We would beat them.
RK
AG
lol
bigjag19
AG
I have my sideline and garage pass for Saturday.

We can beat them if they play like they did against Cinci in bad weather.

The way they played Vandy they would beat us.
MichaelJ
AG
Vandy apparently has the nation's 19th defense. How can that be?
El Duke
quote:
There I said it.and I mean it.

If there were 1 team I could play and beat every year. It would be them.

I hate their entire ignorant fan base. Every single one of them. I hate their fanbase's family. Eff all of them.

twice since Saturday I've been verbally accosted by uh friends/family of mine (yes I realize I just said I hate myself) about how we suck and they are world beaters.

I can't wait for Herman to leave them and the cycle of suck to start over.
Boo hoo. Most Coogs I know have respect for Ags and want Sumlin to do well. After a brief review of their message board it didnt reveal any posts of "we should be in the playoffs!" or "we are better than the aggies". The fanbase understands their schedule is weaker than compared to the SEC but they still have a chance to play 3 ranked teams the final three weeks and beat Vandy 34-0. Vandy the following week lost to Florida 9-7. So shut up, this post makes you look bad.

herb96
AG
They have a fan base?
Ag_07
AG
Memphis really bent UH over by losing last weekend.

That's makes a UH win look weaker and a UH loss look worse. And right now Navy isn't looking like a gimme.

The AAC is going to have the same problem the Big XII is having due tot he fact the backloaded their schedule and they will all beat each other coming down the stretch.
MichaelJ
AG
You knew what you were getting in to when you clicked the thread. So how bout you gtfo.

As has been pointed out, they are very fair weather oriented and I doubt they have an active message board community that would compare to any major university's.

So you look bad. So there.
El Duke
Why do you care? Houston is a big city with professional sports teams providing many other options. Its no surprise fans show up when the team does well. Its been this way for a long time. Crying about alums being proud of their team doing well makes you look bad. If you can't take a little trash talk, then maybe you are not cut out for being a sports fan.
The Milkman
AG
I like rooting for them bc I have a degree from both schools. Obviously cheering for UH will always be a 2nd option, but they are nothing to dislike. Its ok to let another school enjoy their success. They are in no way a rival of ours. It would be like Dallas people being mad if SMU had a great season and their fans were having fun with it.
Jaydoug
AG
quote:
I hate their fanbase's family. Eff all of them.

Eff me???? Eff you!

My grandfather and father are UH alums. Was in Dad's suite watching them beat Cinci.

I enjoy going to their games. They are fun, inexpensive and close. People can afford to see teams play, unlike at A&M where ticket prices are ridiculous. The new stadium is nice.

And haven't you heard, you don't need to play good teams only win! /Briles
MichaelJ
AG
Ok. Thanks mom.

Again, I'm not sure what you thought you were getting in to when you clicked on this thread. But it was very clearly a rant about obnoxious uh fans and only chirping when their team is good. And then going so far as to say they are a better program than a&m.

They don't realize their place in life. That Herman will be gone if not this year then for sure next. Then they will decline again.

They don't realize they are a stepping stone.
Texaggie7nine
Yeah but it's cute.

Getting angry at them is like getting mad at a 5 year old that talks trash when you let him win at a game.
7nine
88jrt06
AG
This DID NOT blow up in OP's face.

Did. Not.
MichaelJ
AG
Nope. Went about as I expected.

It's going swimmingly.
WES2006AG
AG
Aren't they having trouble filling their 40,000 seat stadium?
agz win
AG
Have some compassion for Cougar High. They don't get a lot of the best fruit in the basket.

As a commuter school with a mostly empty erector set stadium, there isn't a lot of upside for them.
Jaydoug
AG
OK, whatever. So current students and recent alumni are giving you ****. Get over it.

A history lesson:

Back in the 50s and mid-60s, before Houston was in the Southwest Conference, Texas A&M would play Houston every year. Won some and lost some but they agreed to keep playing. Texas played Houston in 1953 and then refused to play them anymore.

Houston petitioned every year for entry into the SWC. Some years A&M would nominate them, some years others. But it required a unanimous vote, and every year Texas would vote no. Most years they were the only no.

Then in the mid-70s, the SWC changed the by-laws to require a 2/3 vote for a new school to be invited. That year, Texas nominated them. (See, Texas has been doing this arrogant **** for a long time.)

So, many older Coogs will tell you they have a respect for A&M for playing fair all of those years. For letting UH play them even though they won their fair share of games. And they all hate Texas with a passion for the same reasons we do.

My father, grandfather, uncles, etc all enjoyed watching UH and A&M play and enjoyed the mutual respect and comradery. And they also shared a mutual hate for t.u.

Older Coogs I know are foaming at the mouth to join the Big 12 to get some more shots at beating Texas.

Oh, and when Texas nominated UH to join the SWC, they did in 1976. And they walked into Austin and whooped Texas ass 30-0.

schmellba99
AG
Most UH alumns I personally know only went there because they either didn't get accepted to t.u. or life circumstances were such that they would not have been able to pack up and move to Austin had they been accepted to t.u.

So they are t-shirt t.u. fans that seem to take more joy in watching A&M look like recycled cat **** the last few weeks than anything else in life and could not tell you anything about the UH program (which is doing well enough that I am a bit envious of them at the moment). It's kind of sad really.
El Duke

twice since Saturday I've been verbally accosted by uh friends/family of mine

Verbally accosted? Did you file a police report?

Please respond one more time telling me "I KNEW WHAT I WAS GETTING INTO!!!!" when opening this thread.

MichaelJ
AG
Awesome story bro. It had humor, drama, a twist and a feel good ending.

Seriously you have a talent for story telling, you should explore that.

But it does absolutely nothing for my feelings about that putrid garbage university.

It's a stain on Houston.

I know cool mature old people too.

That does nothing to take away my hate for their program and obnoxious younger fans.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.