Houston
Sponsored by

Italian Restaurants

4,567 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by DustysLineup
Biz Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nino's on West Dallas.

http://ninos-vincents.com/ninos/
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Giacomo's on Westheimer is great. It's right by St. John's.

The proprietors used to own La Mora Cucina Toscana which was on Lovett off Montrose. Closed several years when they lost their lease because the landowners sold to townhome developers ago but the rib and I loved it. They made a veal saltimbocca that was amazing.
onceaggie
AG
Barrys Pizza
Jaydoug
AG
quote:
Coltivare is Austin hipster garbage.

To translate from lolpoorese to English: "my date made me take here there and even though I only ordered the water and olives, she got the special and a bottle of wine and I now have to work a double shift at Staples to cover it."
Ezra Brooks
AG
Fred's Italian Corner in Bellaire
The Milkman
AG
quote:
Fred's Italian Corner in Bellaire
Its more near Rice Villiage/ Med Center but yes Freds is good
HBCanine08
AG
Yeah yeah. Quit distracting me. This customer needs a new accounting calculator
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
quote:

To translate from lolpoorese to English: "my date made me take here there and even though I only ordered the water and olives, she got the special and a bottle of wine and I now have to work a double shift at Staples to cover it."

Seriously though, how is Coltivare?

Never been because we just don't normally think Italian when we're out.
The Milkman
AG
quote:
Neither Morgan Weber nor Ryan Pera is from or had restaurants in Austin. HTH
The Milkman
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Seriously though, how is Coltivare?

Never been because we just don't normally think Italian when we're out.
Coltivare is delish... people on this thread dont like the fact that they have to wait, or they dont serve stereotypical Italian food, and that its kind of expensive.

I would highly recommend going and splitting the whole fish and the black pepper spaghetti. Its really simple, but fantastic. Their charcuterie is really good too if you are into that.
Jaydoug
AG
Coltivare is inventive, still lick-your-plate delicious and pricey. Good wine selection. Waiters are more involved than just taking orders. Really help you decide. Worth taking a date. If you don't get there when it opens, plan to wait a while to sit. But have a drink or three at the bar and chill. Good mixed libations. I didn't care for the whole fish but the short rib was excellent.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Haven't been there in a while, but hadn't seen it mentioned on this thread. Divino on Alabama is good stuff.
big ben
AG

quote:
Damian's is my go to as well. Although I understand they don't finish their pasta in the sauce so they can't be real italians according to Bonfirewillburn.

He is a chef, you are a lawyer (correct?) And every recipe or technique he has posted that I have taken the effort to try has turned out amazing.
onceaggie
AG
Damien's is crap
Inspector Spacetime
AG
Poscol is excellent if you want both authentic and inexpensive, basically lots of a la carte things and house cured meats less than $10 (plus entrees and pastas less than $15) you can mix and match or course out... like real Italian meals.

Trust me, this place will have what youre looking for, even if that's pasta and meat sauce. I recently took my 97 year old grandmother there who wanted the same and she was happy.
DiskoTroop
quote:

quote:
Damian's is my go to as well. Although I understand they don't finish their pasta in the sauce so they can't be real italians according to Bonfirewillburn.

He is a chef, you are a lawyer (correct?) And every recipe or technique he has posted that I have taken the effort to try has turned out amazing.
Yeah I'm in the legal field. Not a lawyer. Corporate legal. Anyhow, I'm Italian and come from a long line of Italians and his blatant assertions about what is and isn't Italian crack me up.
big ben
AG
Interesting, my fiances family is 100% italian, I'm going to ask about that next time I am around them.
David Carr
Regardless of the food at Damian's the atmosphere is that of a Blue Hair filled morgue.
DiskoTroop
They may say that they do it. Some do, some don't. It depends on what region of Italy your family is from really. Very popular in Southern Italy where baked pastas are popular but in Tuscany and the North where there is a lot of German and Austrian influence (think spaetzle), it's more common to pour sauce over pasta. My family is from up there. Friuli, specifically Pordenone, Spilimbergo.

Anyway, this is the reason for my confusion behind BFWB declaring things exclusively Italian or Not Italian.
DiskoTroop
quote:
Regardless of the food at Damian's the atmosphere is that of a Blue Hair filled morgue.
That's fair enough. It's definitely always full of little old ladies. My grandmother used to love it. That would be my Italian grandmother.

If little old Italian ladies like it, they gotta be doing something right.
Stan Crowch
AG
I ended the thread with my Poscol suggestion. We can go on to something else now.
agdoc84
Ciro's on I -10 near Bunker Hill is very good.
Texaggie7nine
quote:
I'll second that. It always looked like a chain type restaurant to me but when I finally tried it I was really pleasantly surprised. Good every time I go.
7nine
DustysLineup
AG
quote:
quote:
I'll second that. It always looked like a chain type restaurant to me but when I finally tried it I was really pleasantly surprised. Good every time I go.

Absolutely not a chain. My old man has known Ciro's old man for decades.
It's a great place; nice people.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.