Houston
Sponsored by

Xfinity vs. Uverse??

4,933 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Worm01
Worm01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've had Uverse for a couple of years now and it's really pissing me off, mainly the slow ass internet. I'm paying for 12 mbps, but rarely get half of that. Their fastest is 18 mbps, which is meh. I see Xfinity offers 105 mbps in my area, but is that really what you get? How's the TV side? I've heard the X1 is pretty legit, but I've also heard the Comcast customer service nightmares, not that AT&T has been all that great. Just wondering if I should make the switch.
Diggity
AG
quote:
see Xfinity offers 105 mbps in my area, but is that really what you get?
in my experience, yes.

I've had customer service problems with both companies. Fortunately, my internet never goes down so I haven't had to call often.
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
If you get 6mbps with uverse now, you will get 6 with the 18 plan.
Aggiemike96
AG
I'm on Xfinity here in Houston (Uverse in SA) and Xfinity blows Uverse away.

Just did a speed test:
Ping: 24 ms
Download: 66 mbps
Upload: 12 mbps

Speed Test
Aggie09Derek
AG
Uverse has 45mbps in Houston. Granted I usually only get about half of that.
Boats and Hose
AG
I guess we've had good luck but we have Uverse and really like it. We had it for a year and switched to Xfinity after our contract was up. That lasted all of two weeks before we switched back to Uverse. We had too many issued with Xfinity's internet. Seems like we're in the minority though.

The customer service for both sucks though so I wouldn't let that factor in to your decision.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Uverse will be as fast as it is in your area, regardless of what they advertise.

Comcast has always had terrible customer service, but the Internet was generally faster.
idAg09
Uverse. I switched from Uverse when AT&T wouldn't budge much when the bill doubled after contract. Been happy with the X1

Make sure you get the XB3 modem (or something like that) if you aren't providing your own. All their other modem/routers suck if you are depending on wifi. You'll have to have them mail it to you though since they don't have them locally.
Bondag
AG
I just got 16/5 with uverse. I am also streaming a movie on Netflix without issue.

I am about to cut my neighbors Comcast that has been in my yard for a month run along the grass.
Aggie1205
AG
Comcast's customer service is the worst.
rhoswen
AG
My Internet isn't so bad but holy crap does the xfinity TV side suck. I have an error message and have to reboot the boxes just about every other day. Tech came out, said it was something about the splitter and he couldn't do anything about it.
whiteman
Love xfinity, no problems with cable and Internet service or customer service.
htxag09
AG
Also thinking of switching to xfinity. We have uverse and haven't had any problems but the billing policies these companies have absolutely **** me off.

Our bill went up to $210/month since our contract ended, but they won't let us sign a contract since we are existing customers. We can cancel and then sign up and our bill will be $100/month.

Sorry, if I have to cancel, lose my boxes, have a tech come out, and everything else that comes with that, I'm switching.
jja79
AG
quote:
Love xfinity, no problems with cable and Internet service or customer service.

Agreed
Bondag
AG
You won't get $100, but you can just talk them down. I have "18 Mbps" and U300 for $160 plus fees.
inch05
AG
I actually just switched to xfinity after 7 years with Uverse (same thing, they wouldn't discount my rate much) and have been really happy with the speeds and service. Actually, they're pretty good compared to Uverse.
htxag09
AG
Yeah. That's what I did last time. I tried in the store and calling once and both said they can't give any contracts or deals to existing customers anymore.

I'll probably give it one more shot.

And FYI, I have U300 and the 18 internet and both said if I cancel or switch it to my wife's name it'll be $105.
jel_2002
AG
quote:
Also thinking of switching to xfinity. We have uverse and haven't had any problems but the billing policies these companies have absolutely **** me off.

Our bill went up to $210/month since our contract ended, but they won't let us sign a contract since we are existing customers. We can cancel and then sign up and our bill will be $100/month.

Sorry, if I have to cancel, lose my boxes, have a tech come out, and everything else that comes with that, I'm switching.

I hope this isn't the new Uverse policy on contracts. I usually wait until 1 month before my plan expires and sign a new deal. If they deny me a discount deal, I will also switch.
FarmerJohn
AG
quote:
but I've also heard the Comcast customer service nightmares
If you haven't dealt with them, you have no idea. I've had AT&T, DirectTV, Time Warner/Comcast, and other cable companies. Comcast is unbelievable. Every time, and now in multiple residences, they will screw something up and you will spend hours with them. Saturday I had a 9 hour install. Oh, and that was the reschedule after I took the day off work, they show up at 8AM, and are there 15 minutes before they reschedule me for a week later. I had no say in the matter. Past experience involved a noisy line that needed a new cable. Only the tech didn't test it so our service would freeze and required to be reset from a high level tech from the tech support hotline. Only it would take 45 minutes before that would happen. Every time.

The only problem is their internet service is good. Add in that Uverse is not available at my house (I tried), and I'm basically stuck. Basically, if you can make it through the install, then you are good to go. But it will be an ordeal.
Icecream_Ag
S
had xfinity for about 3 months when I first moved to Houston and have had uverse for the 3 year since.

xfinity was horrible on everything but internet, tv sucked, customer service sucked, techs were horrible. Only way I'll go back is if they are the only choice.

with uverse I've had some lost connections, but tech support has been good (when I finally get through) and when my bill is up, I just call customer retention and they work some magic to get me a new deal.
htxag09
AG
quote:
when my bill is up, I just call customer retention and they work some magic to get me a new deal.

Again, when was this? I've had uverse for almost 4 years and have always done the same thing. But this time everyone I've talked to said it is a new policy that they can't sign existing customers to contracts.
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
quote:
when my bill is up, I just call customer retention and they work some magic to get me a new deal.

Again, when was this? I've had uverse for almost 4 years and have always done the same thing. But this year everyone I've talked to said it is a new policy that they can't sign existing customers to contracts.
made the first call the last week of july, and had to call back on the 5th or 6th because they didnt tell me pricing wouldnt start until september
WES2006AG
AG
Sounds like we are all having the same issue with Uverse. My bill went up and I called to get a new deal on a contract. Was told by the CS rep that they couldn't do anything for me. I then had them transfer me to the cancellation people and magically they had pretty much exactly what I was looking for. They used to be much more accomadating, still had to work with the customer retention people to get what I was looking for.
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
Sounds like we are all having the same issue with Uverse. My bill went up and I called to get a new deal on a contract. Was told by the CS rep that they couldn't do anything for me. I then had them transfer me to the cancellation people and magically they had pretty much exactly what I was looking for. They used to be much more accomadating, still had to work with the customer retention people to get what I was looking for.
i just immediately ask for customer retention on the first prompt. Saves dealing with one of the 15 people named Adam that work in the call center in India.
Texaggie7nine
It's the exact same thing you have to do with any cable company, any cell phone company, ect. They all follow the same business scheme.

I do it with Comcast and I'm happy with my service.
7nine
97porche
AG
The new Voice Remote I got from Xfinity for free this past weekend is awesome. Cable box is upstairs and it works fine downstairs where the TV is. The voice controls work good as well.
Worm01
AG
Appreciate all the feedback. I went ahead and made the switch after another unhelpful troubleshoot with AT&T. They keep telling me my internet is slow because of interference and there's nothing they can do about it. Tired of excuses. We'll see how the Xfinity installation goes, but my bill be cut in half, for twice the TV channels and 10x internet speeds.

I ended up leasing the modem through them, but they did say I can change my mind and provide my own and just send theirs back. Hope the installation goes smooth.
inch05
AG
in the long run, buying your own modem/router is the better option.
htxag09
AG
So spoke to AT&T again. Went straight to customer retention and they finally agreed to lower my bill but not by much. Best they said they can do is $160/month. They are still trying to push me to direct tv. Said I can cancel, switch to direct tv and my bill will be $105. Or cancel, sign back up with uverse in my wife's name and the bill will be $109. So I'll be switching to xfinity shortly, bill will be around $95 with Internet that's advertised twice as fast, probably more like 4 times.

What router do y'all recommend purchasing? I'd rather go that route than leasing.
Worm01
AG
Got XFInity installed on Friday. It took most of the day, but the dude basically rewired my house. I was actually pretty impressed with the customer service on the installation. Last speed test I did with UVerse reported 2.74 mbps. First test on Xfinity reported 121.36 mbps. Although that is still the highest to date. Routinely hitting 75+ though, so no complaints.

However, I did get a surprise yesterday that ESPNU wasn't part of my TV package. Guess I didn't look close enough. SEC Network is, but not ESPNU, which I think is odd.
Lot Y Tailgate
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
Pretty sure SECN was negotiated so if you have ESPN and ESPN 2 you get it, ESPNU is on the sports package.
The Original AG 76
AG
Does xfinity have a wireless TV box? One of the main reasons I am keeping Uverse is their wireless box. I love to take a TV outside to my outdoor kitchen and pavilion an watch all day NFL. Perfect weather and football...
Worm01
AG
No, no wireless box. That was a big negative for me, too. BUT you can watch anything through a laptop or phone/tablet app. So, I guess you could go to the app, watch the channel you want and mirror it to a Smart TV or something. I like the idea of a wireless box, but I realized I never actually moved them in the 3 years I had them.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.