Houston
Sponsored by

Galveston/Surfside PSA

1,809 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by BrazosDog02
Texaggie7nine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If you want to see what clear ocean water looks like today and tomorrow are the days to go to the beach or jetties.
7nine
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Porque?
Texaggie7nine
Dunno what exactly the cause is. Just happens some times.

My brother's and sister's families live in Lake Jackson and they told me its about as clear as they have seen it in a long time in Surfside.
7nine
BarryProfit
It happens a few times a year, generally late summer, when the wind lays down and blows slightly from the SE. It pulls in all of the green water, looks like Florida.

If you have a spoon and a rod and reel you're likely to catch a limit of specs.
BarryProfit
http://m.galveston.com/surfcam/
FtBendTxAg
AG
It's awesome
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
It happens a few times a year, generally late summer, when the wind lays down and blows slightly from the SE. It pulls in all of the green water, looks like Florida.

If you have a spoon and a rod and reel you're likely to catch a limit of specs.

The last couple years have seen fewer days like this for some reason but this summer has seen tons of super flat days with the clear, green water right up to the beach. Probably more this summer than the last 2-3 years combined.

I wonder if it's got to do with the El Nino cycle.

I remember July 4th weekend in 2005 when it was actually blue water to the beach. I fished San Luis Pass and you could see bottom under the toll bridge there.
schmellba99
AG
When the wind lays down and when the currents aren't pulling most of the Mississippi mud our way, the water can look pretty good. We took the kids to Surfside a couple of weeks ago and the water was surprisingly green and clear - I think the color change was just a few yards off the beach itself. Was really nice.
El Mero Guero
I thought it was usually just when there was no rain for a while, resulting in much less silt being dumped from the rivers? Went to pirates beach about 4-5 years ago one summer and you could see your feet from chest deep. Crabs visible everywhere and a 4 ft shark swam right up to my wife and scared the crap out of her...It was insane. Only seen it like that once.
BarryProfit
No it's due to winds not rains.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
apparently the mosquitoes are terrible on the west side
schmellba99
AG
quote:
No it's due to winds not rains.

A lot of it is also due to other things - shipping traffic can play a role in how dirty the water is as well, especially in Galveston.
BarryProfit
This has nothing to do with dirty water, this green water isn't any cleaner or dirtier than the normal brown water we have.
Texaggie7nine
Not sanitary wise but there is far less sediment in the water as you can see much further through the water
7nine
TX04Aggie
AG
was having a beverage at Longboard a while ago on the Seawall and we were all talking about how great the water looked and the temperature felt. Great weekend to be down in Galveston.
AgLA06
AG
Brazos muddies Surfside.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
Brazos muddies Surfside.

To some degree, yes. But the prevailing currents take the water down the coast. That's why the San Bernard cut is closed already.

The Mississippi influences the color of the water more than the Brazos does.
BrazosDog02
AG
Was out this weekend. The water at surfside beach was crystal clear. It was quite awesome. Ive not seen it like that in a long time.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.